Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

12 gauge romex

I am fixing to run the electrical wires for a second a/c that i will be installing early next year. The hardest part is running the wire through the ceiling. I have plenty of 12-2 yellow romex from other projects my neighbor did. Will this be okay to use? I will install a a coleman 13500 btu that only draws 14 amps max.
Thanks
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #2

12ga would be appropriate for this application. I like to pull a piece of construction line first, and then pull the wires. I also like to keep the construction line in the wall/ceiling just incase I need to pull something else later.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
12ga would be appropriate for this application. I like to pull a piece of construction line first, and then pull the wires. I also like to keep the construction line in the wall/ceiling just in case I need to pull something else later.
X2
12 ga is good up to 20amps
14 ga is good to 15 amps.

12 ga is a little stiffer to work with, but will be fine.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

It is true that 12 AWG Romex building wire is rated for 20 amps and 14 AWG is rated for 15 amps. That said, depending upon the length of run and other factors that rating may be reduced.

Length of run within a travel trailer is not going to be a problem, but the length of the run from the power source (power pedestal at a campsite, perhaps further at home) needs to considered when choosing the appropriate wire size/gauge. Long runs = voltage drop. Voltage drop = higher current. Higher current = bad for air conditioning unit motors.

Proper wire size selection generally applies an 80% load factor for continuous loads. The 14 amps mentioned is 70% of the #12 AWG wire so normally that would be fine. That said, given the likelyhood of a long run from the power source and the possibility of low voltage at that source, for this application the #12 AWG wire selection may be a bit marginal. With the wire length needed within the trailer it won't cost much more to run #10 AWG wire. That wire size will reduce any low voltage worries almost to zero and may help with the efficiency and service life of your new A/C unit.

Using #10 AWG wire doesn't mean that you need to upsize everything to 30 amp service. The normal 20 amp connectors can still be used. The #10 AWG wire within the trailer is just to help eliminate voltage drop worries.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #5

I'm no electrician, but something doesn't sound right with that Coleman 13500 only drawing 14amp.

Doesn't 14a x 120v = 1680 watts? If so why won't a single Honda EU2000i start and run the AC on my TT? I thought the Honda 2k surged to 16Amps and Sustained 13Amps. My Honda won't start my Coleman 13500 AC which leads me to think the AC required for than 14Amps max.

You guys are all much better at this stuff than I am, what am I missing?
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I'm no electrician, but something doesn't sound right with that Coleman 13500 only drawing 14amp.

Doesn't 14a x 120v = 1680 watts? If so why won't a single Honda EU2000i start and run the AC on my TT? I thought the Honda 2k surged to 16Amps and Sustained 13Amps. My Honda won't start my Coleman 13500 AC which leads me to think the AC required for than 14Amps max.

You guys are all much better at this stuff than I am, what am I missing?
The startup current of a motor can be many times higher than the running current. The start condition is often referred to as "locked rotor current".

A running motor depends upon the impedance created by back EMF related to the expanding and collapsing fields of the iron and motor wire windings to limit current. At startup the voltage rushes in and until the rotor begins to turn the current is only limited by the (DC) resistance of the motor windings. That in-rush current is close to a dead short.

Your small generator doesn't have enough capacity to provide the power needed to get the rotor turning so the locked rotor load suppresses the voltage. The result is that the rotor never turns fast enough and the generator continues to see a dead short.

If you could somehow get the air conditioning motor spinning first, then your small generator would likely be able to keep the motor running.

vic
Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'll bet my 13,500 BTU A/C unit is wired with 14 ga wire.

12ga wire will be fine for your installation with some margin to boot.

How to wire 13,500 BTU RV AC. 14ga wire or larger
http://www.ehow.com/how_7871789_wire...l-trailer.html

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Wire size calculator.
14 amps up to 40 feet run = 14ga
So you will have some margin with 12ga.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html

FYI,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
The startup current of a motor can be many times higher than the running current. The start condition is often referred to as "locked rotor current".

A running motor depends upon the impedance created by back EMF related to the expanding and collapsing fields of the iron and motor wire windings to limit current. At startup the voltage rushes in and until the rotor begins to turn the current is only limited by the (DC) resistance of the motor windings. That in-rush current is close to a dead short.

Your small generator doesn't have enough capacity to provide the power needed to get the rotor turning so the locked rotor load suppresses the voltage. The result is that the rotor never turns fast enough and the generator continues to see a dead short.

If you could somehow get the air conditioning motor spinning first, then your small generator would likely be able to keep the motor running.

vic
Thanks. You first paragraph is what I always understood, and that is what got me thinking about the OPs original question and wondered if that temporary start up current would require heavier guage wire.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

12 gauge romex

Thanks everyone. Just wanted to be sure before going through all the work of running the wire.
Clubhouse don't know about generators but here is a screen shot of the unit i will be installing.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Thanks. You first paragraph is what I always understood, and that is what got me thinking about the OPs original question and wondered if that temporary start up current would require heavier guage wire.
Good observation. Startup is one of those times when you don't want the voltage dipping down. A lower voltage slows the rotor coming up to speed. Depending upon the switching methods used for the start windings that can stress the contacts, or components unnecessarily.

The OP indicated that this is an additional A/C unit. I a$$-u-me the trailer has an existing 30 amp supply, so that indicates a separate supply for the second A/C unit is necessary. So-o-o, that may mean often coming from a 20 amp receptacle.

The OEM A/C unit is wired from the circuit breaker box in the trailer. That circuit breaker box is supplied by a 30 amp cord. That larger wire feed means not much voltage drop at the trailer circuit breaker panel. The branch circuit from the circuit box to the OEM A/C unit is relatively short so wire size is less critical. This additional A/C unit will have a supply which will likely be derived from a 20 amp circuit and I a$$-u-me a "normal" extension cord. That's a different situation.

One needs to be careful using generic circuit calculators. In the calculator cited, the instructions mention "We allow a maximum voltage drop of about 3% before the wire specification increases.". The voltage supplied in a campground could be more drop than that with no problem. It also just asks for current. Assuming 14 amp running current doesn't really give all the conditions including cycling load.

My experience is that regularly cycling loads like air conditioners, sump pumps, etc. can be very hard on branch circuits. Many of the <few> branch circuit breakers and connections which I have found failed have been in that service.

#12 AWG wire is likely just fine, even though a larger size for short distance is not much additional cost. Sorry to butt in. vic
Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #12

12 gauge romex

My plan is to use another 30 amp power cord to connect to the pedestal. The power will go into a breaker box that will have two 20 amp breakers. One feeding the new a/c and another to feed a another outlet to give a little more power in the trailer for space heater or whatever we need. I would plug the original trailer plug into the 50 amp plug and the aux a/c to the 30 amp plug leaving me with the 20 amp plug on the pedestal for any thing on the outside. Does this sound okay. I checked with the rv park electrician and he said that the reciprocals are all wired separate with 3 different wires going into pedestal. My brother is doing this same thing and has had no problems.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
... Does this sound okay. ...Thanks
That is a good plan. Given those details a #12 AWG branch to the A/C is more than enough. vic
Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My plan is to use another 30 amp power cord to connect to the pedestal. The power will go into a breaker box that will have two 20 amp breakers. One feeding the new a/c and another to feed a another outlet to give a little more power in the trailer for space heater or whatever we need. I would plug the original trailer plug into the 50 amp plug and the aux a/c to the 30 amp plug leaving me with the 20 amp plug on the pedestal for any thing on the outside. Does this sound okay. I checked with the rv park electrician and he said that the reciprocals are all wired separate with 3 different wires going into pedestal. My brother is doing this same thing and has had no problems.
Thanks
Is your normal TT plug 50amp or 30amp?

If it's 30amp, then I would suggest this.
If you're going to supply a breaker box with 2-20amp breakers, than your supply cord has to be rated to carry 40amps.
(Probably just as easy to use a 50amp factory style cord and plug.)

I would connect my new breaker box with 2-20amp breakers to the 50amp pedestal outlet using a cord rated to at least 40amps.

Then I would plug my 30amp factory cord to the 30amp pedestal outlet.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #15

Sorry to butt in again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
If you're going to supply a breaker box with 2-20amp breakers, than your supply cord has to be rated to carry 40amps.

I would connect my new breaker box with 2-20amp breakers to the 50amp pedestal outlet using a cord rated to at least 40amps.

...Best regards,
Doug
There should be no problem with feeding the 2 ea. 20 amp circuits with a 30 amp cord. If it is plugged into a 30 amp receptacle then the total current is limited to 30 amps by the pedestal breaker. The individual 20 amp breakers protect the branch circuit #12 AWG. The A/C unit described and an occasional electric heater should never exceed the 30 amp cord.

As to plugging into a 50 amp receptacle with a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. That is done all the time isn't it? The connected loads within the trailer may exceed the 30 amp cord for short bursts, but the trailer circuit breaker panel and connected loads are sized for the 30 amp cord feed. The branch circuit breakers are sized to protect the branch conductor.

A 50 amp cord and service would add expense and be much more difficult to deploy and store.

Just my thinking. vic
Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #16

12 gauge romex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Is your normal TT plug 50amp or 30amp?

Then I would plug my 30amp factory cord to the 30amp pedestal outlet.

Best regards,
Doug
30 amp is what my trailer uses.
Doug so with what you said then i should buy a 50 amp power cord? How would that wire into breaker box? Would i use both hot legs or just one?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Sorry to butt in again.

There should be no problem with feeding the 2 ea. 20 amp circuits with a 30 amp cord. If it is plugged into a 30 amp receptacle then the total current is limited to 30 amps by the pedestal breaker. The individual 20 amp breakers protect the branch circuit #12 AWG. The A/C unit described and an occasional electric heater should never exceed the 30 amp cord.

As to plugging into a 50 amp receptacle with a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. That is done all the time isn't it? The connected loads within the trailer may exceed the 30 amp cord for short bursts, but the trailer circuit breaker panel and connected loads are sized for the 30 amp cord feed. The branch circuit breakers are sized to protect the branch conductor.

A 50 amp cord and service would add expense and be much more difficult to deploy and store.

Just my thinking. vic
That's true Vic if the 30amp breaker doesn't malfunction.
I am just always used to sizing things based on the potential.
Two 20 amp breakers have the potential to draw a combined 40 amps, so I always size everything upstream accordingly.

It definitely could work as you say. I guess the 50amp wouldn't protect the 2-20amps either. You'd be relying on them to not malfunction.

Just be sure to check the functionality of your breakers. I guess that's something we should always keep am eye on.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
30 amp is what my trailer uses.
Doug so with what you said then i should buy a 50 amp power cord? How would that wire into breaker box? Would i use both hot legs or just one?
After our discussion, I have to agree with your 1st option. Feeding your breaker box with 2-20 amp breakers with the 30 amp cord and outlet. I apologize for not looking that diagram up to confirm my thinking.
I forgot the 50amp cord is going to bring in 240 volts. Sorry, I just wired a 30 amp plug for my sister and was thinking it was 120 volts.

It can be done, but I think you were on the right track.

Here's an article on how it could be done, but I would just stick to where you were.

Each leg would have to be split off like a house breaker box to supply each breaker with 120V.
I guess this is how they do it in big rigs with 240V appliances.

Quote from article:
There is a lot of misunderstanding about how MOST 50 Amp RV's are wired. Some of the larger bus type diesel pushers are all electric and in fact, do have 250 volt appliances in them. In that case, both sides of the 50 amp circuit are used to power those devices (just like your home) and those coaches MUST have 50 amp, 250V service in order to run things like the 250V stove, AC and the electric water heater. In the case of the rest of the 50 amp RV's, 250 volts is still supplied to the coach just like your home electrical service but typically one side of the line is used for all the 125 volt appliances except the rear AC and the other side is used for the rear AC only. The service coming into the RV is still 50 amp, 250 volts. Unquote:

Your good to go like you said. Just check your breakers periodically.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #19

12 gauge romex

Thanks Doug i feel better leaving it on a 30 amp plug. Just wanting to get it right and not endanger my family.
Thanks again for all replies. This forum is great!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #20

Heavier gauge wire is not required because of startup. LRA is a lot more than operating amperage, but it occurs for a very brief time, usually less than a second and is irrelevant in sizing wire for a given load. The wire length and size coming from the pedestal is also irrelevant as long as it is sized correctly and there's no need to take that into consideration either. If that's not sized right, you are going to get voltage drop regardless of what you use for the AC.

That said, use #12 wire. The rated amp draw of the AC is based on an ambient operating temperature of 95 degrees. That amperage will increase at a rate of one amp per 10 degree shift in ambient temperature. In fact that's how you check an AC for proper charge without tapping into the system, by measuring amperage and checking amp draw relative to ambient temp. As an example a unit that draws 14.5A in 95 degrees will draw15.5A in 105 temperatures, so you would exceed the capacity of the 15A breaker. When I do my marine installations, I use #12 wire and a 20A breaker for all but the smallest units Along with factoring in the possible changes in ambient temperature, you also have to realize other factors that will affect current draw, condition of bearings and components at the unit ages, dirty filters, lower than normal CG pedestal voltages, so bottom line, go with #12 wire and protect it with a 20A breaker. You can use #10, as no one ever got in trouble using larger wire, but it's more expensive, harder to work with, and just isn't needed.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote