Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Actually, many mobile technicians make a good living with annual service/preventative maintenance contracts for their recurring customers. Whether they use the words preventative maintenance or not.

But, regardless, many owners are next to clueless, my estimate about 80%.

I don't have a problem with owners doing their own work, in fact I encourage owners to be as diy active as possible, particularly with preventative maintenance. Preventative maintenance can help avoid problems while out trying to enjoy your motorhome.

The trends are more motorhomes on the road and fewer service technicians as a percentage. Also, we can expect to see significant pay raises for those techs in the near future which will further bump up hourly repair waits.

Warranty work can turn into a nightmare for owners. I think the smart owners are the ones that do most of the warranty work themselves and don't gripe about it.

I don't care what anyone does, but that doesn't mean I can't be an advocate for rv education.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
To me it is just fine to leave well enough alone until there are reasons to start checking things.

Just my opinion. vic
+1 if it ain't broke: If I'm in there for another reason I'll check screws. Lost power to a slide in my last 5W and found a loose connection in the panel also would not have been found with power off.
I believe you should be able to trouble shoot most issues as the RV's are just basic systems for water, electric, etc. Carry basic tools and electric trouble shooting meters and test lights. There are a lots of RVer's who will call roadside because a bulbs out and they might get their hands dirty if they had to fix something, the mobile RV repair guys love em. Just my thoughts.

2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Some of the comments are good from the perspective that it should put prospective buyers of used motorhomes on guard that not only should you ask for maintenance records, which often are minimal or don't exist, that you need to ask open ended questions that tell you about the owner's mindset and their focus on the various maintenance schedules.

The more the owner just waits for problems to develop, without actively taking care of the required maintenance, the less you should be paying for that motorhome as more than likely a lot of headaches are just under the surface.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #14
Site Team

There are many factors and varying circumstances.

For instance my rig is powered up and in my back yard. It is my main hobby to piddle with it. Others go camping, park it 20 miles away and never see it again till a few days before the next trip.

This dialogue is not to tell you how to maintain your rig.
Its all about information helping others.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
This feels like it has degenerated into a ******* contest. I'm just not interested. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post

As I said earlier, I don't think that it is productive to suggest maintenance schedules which are not cost effective. That is my point.
Many owners have no choice but to pay for electrical work.

Cheers.
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Some of the comments are good from the perspective that it should put prospective buyers of used motorhomes on guard that not only should you ask for maintenance records, which often are minimal or don't exist, that you need to ask open ended questions that tell you about the owner's mindset and their focus on the various maintenance schedules.

The more the owner just waits for problems to develop, without actively taking care of the required maintenance, the less you should be paying for that motorhome as more than likely a lot of headaches are just under the surface.
So I guess it depends more on the owner to fix and maintain, I know my unit inside out. I have every receipt for anything used in upgrades, repair or maintenance, in an expanding folder with all manuals in a cabinet. Some of us fix every little thing we find wrong as we don't have to pay $129 an hour shop fee for someone else to do it. I can do lots of fixing for $129. Parts are cheaper on line and it just means a few extra days wait when I'm home. I didn't go to RV school for something to do, I learned from real world doing, fixing most anything broke, maintaining vehicles, maintaining rentals, equipment, small appliances, etc. Some of us are good at taking care of things we own and others open their pocket books ............ come fix my problem. In my experience the fancier the motorhome the less likely they fix anything themselves and more likely they will pickup a phone for mobile repair.

So who you going to trust an unknown or yourself? Think because a shop did the work it's good? Read the horror stories here. A recent poster said he specifically asked the tires be checked and got the unit back with 50psi not the recommended 65. He told the service manager who told him 50 was what he needed, guess that manager can't read sidewalls.

Some people like to make mountains out of mole hills. I once worked in a rocket scientists house who couldn't figure why the coffee pot didn't work. I plugged it in and resolved the problem.

2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote