Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

2007 Greyhawk 30GS Manual Override for Slide-out

Newbie here. Also new to RV'ing and my 2007 Greyhawk 30GS. Within the last month, I've lost power to the slide-outs twice. Why that is happening is another post but suffice it to say I've needed to roll the slides in manually more than is reasonable.

I have figured out the manual override for the living area/couch slide out. The bedroom is another matter.

I found the motor under the bed and found the override (a nut to ratchet) right next to the motor. After releasing the "brake" on the motor, I started ratcheting away and all was fine at first. Then I realized that a portion of the bed was being slid over my wrench and finally completely over my hand. The last several inches of getting the slide in was executed 1 click at a time since that is all the space I had to work with. This was also only by the power of a single thumb (rather than an arm) since there was no room to work. Needless to say, if there had not been 2 strong men pushing on the slide, it would never have gone in cause the power of my thumb was not helping much.

To top it off, once the slide was in, I could no longer reach the slide-out motor to reset the brake.

This is either the stupidest engineering design ever or I'm missing something. Anybody have any ideas? I'm ready to sell the thing over this issue, so any experience would be appreciated.

Just to avert the obvious questions....yes, I did look around to see if something could be removed so that this did not occur. If that was possible, it was not obvious to me.
retiredrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #2

Wow that sounds really frustrating. I've known a number of people who would refuse to have a slideout because of the problems. I've had more than my share myself. The RV dealer in Mount Vernon wa. Had my trailer four four months over the winter. He sent Jayco a bill for four grand for the warranty work.

Did you put pieces of 2x4 inside between the slide and the wall to lock the slide in since you couldn't set the brake?
I recently saw a new Greyhawk, very nice RV. Good luck in the future.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #3

I did use a transit bar to keep the slide in place. Yes, it was really frustrating. I feel like I'm learning everything the hard way!

Looks like you are from near Vancouver. That's where I'm headed later this year if I can get this thing working properly.
retiredrgr is offline   Reply With Quote