Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

2017 Eagle TT or 5'er Passive Vent?

When we were walking thru a 2017 Eagle 330RSTS TT (not ours) at the dealership the other day taking some measurements in preparation for ours being delivered in the near future (I hope), I noticed that Jayco installed a passive vent in the rear living area of the unit which I found a little odd. I believe the 5er's are this way also?

Although I am happy there is at least some kind of vent in the living area to help vent hotter air at the ceiling, especially with frameless windows, I questioned why a passive vent was the choice instead of one with a fan?

Anyway, my question is if anyone has replaced this passive vent with a vent with a fan, and if you have, was there already existing 12v wiring there from the factory or did you have to run new wires? Just thought someone else has already "been there, done that"?!?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

I haven't been there but I'd say you could easily find 12 volt wires in the ceiling.
Are there any lights near the vent you could pull power for the fan?
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
I haven't been there but I'd say you could easily find 12 volt wires in the ceiling.
Are there any lights near the vent you could pull power for the fan?
I am quite sure there are, and would be my "second" option but I would prefer power without having to have the lights turned on. Probably asking too much!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I am quite sure there are, and would be my "second" option but I would prefer power without having to have the lights turned on. Probably asking too much!
I leave the wall switch on and turn the ceiling light (and fan) on or off at the fixture.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #5

We have a 2016 330 and installed a Maxx Air cover over the passive vent. With the power vent in the bathroom on, a nice breeze comes in through the LR and passes through the trailer. I'm not sure with the noise I would want a power vent in the living room.
Dondeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondeb View Post
We have a 2016 330 and installed a Maxx Air cover over the passive vent. With the power vent in the bathroom on, a nice breeze comes in through the LR and passes through the trailer. I'm not sure with the noise I would want a power vent in the living room.
I already have purchased a Maxx Air II cover to go over that vent but didn't want to mount it until I make up my mind on the fan install. However, it's good to know that the bathroom fan has enough pull to create a breeze in the living area., so I might just give that a try before going to all the trouble of replacing the vent. Thanks!

As for any fan noise, I am not sure what would be more annoying, the noise from the fan or the smoke detector when the DW decides to cook indoors .
Old 08-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

If the fan in the bathroom has a reverse option you could pull air into the trailer through the bathroom (not right after use though) causing all the hot air in the living room to evacute through the living room vent.

If you pulled air from the bathroom fan you would be creating positive air pressure inside of your trailer. It would push the air out in places of least resistance. In other words it would push the air out of leaks if you didn't have a door, vent or window open.

With that said you have to think of what if you did have vents with fans in both of them?
If both were on extract at the same time could the negative air pressure cause problems?
What if it was raining and you had negative air pressure inside? Would it cause water to come in places that it normally wouldn't without the neg pressure?

On the other hand could positive pressure caused by having both fans on intake cause any problems?
One benifical thing that the positive air pressure could do is help you find where the air is leaking out from (telling you where a possible water leak is).
Is it a leak in the roof membrane?
A leak around a roof protrusion?
Maybe it's coming out around a marker light or a storage compartment.

All you would need is a spray bottle of soapy water!

After thinking of all this it makes me think maybe they didn't include the fan in the living room for a reason.

I'm not trying to discourage you from installing the fan (I would). I just thought of possable problems you could have if you weren't aware.

Good luck
Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
If the fan in the bathroom has a reverse option you could pull air into the trailer through the bathroom (not right after use though) causing all the hot air in the living room to evacute through the living room vent.

If you pulled air from the bathroom fan you would be creating positive air pressure inside of your trailer. It would push the air out in places of least resistance. In other words it would push the air out of leaks if you didn't have a door, vent or window open.

With that said you have to think of what if you did have vents with fans in both of them?
If both were on extract at the same time could the negative air pressure cause problems?
What if it was raining and you had negative air pressure inside? Would it cause water to come in places that it normally wouldn't without the neg pressure?

On the other hand could positive pressure caused by having both fans on intake cause any problems?
One benifical thing that the positive air pressure could do is help you find where the air is leaking out from (telling you where a possible water leak is).
Is it a leak in the roof membrane?
A leak around a roof protrusion?
Maybe it's coming out around a marker light or a storage compartment.

All you would need is a spray bottle of soapy water!

After thinking of all this it makes me think maybe they didn't include the fan in the living room for a reason.

I'm not trying to discourage you from installing the fan (I would). I just thought of possable problems you could have if you weren't aware.

Good luck
I believe the EZ Breeze fan installed in the bathroom is an exhaust fan only but can be used in a "ceiling fan" mode when the vent is closed. I also wouldn't want to keep the bathroom fan running all the time, just to create air circulation. Every time the commode was used, you either have to remember to turn it off, or risk stinking up the place.

As far as "pressure" concerns either way, with the frameless windows ability to be open, even in rainy weather, equalization of air pressure should be easy enough to control. As an example, there are quite a few higher end units that have fans in the kitchen area and I always wondered why that wasn't more prevalent in all levels of trailers where it could not only increase air circulation in the living area of the unit, which in turn could help reduce the need for the AC to be running as well as enhance the evacuation of hotter air collecting near the ceiling, especially when cooking indoors. In my experience, stove vent hoods are even noisier than a ceiling fan would be and do little to nothing in controlling that heat buildup, at least the ones I have dealt with don't.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

I agree. A living room fan would be nice.
Like you said less need to run the AC.
The low setting of the fan shouldn't be too noisy for the living room.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I already have purchased a Maxx Air II cover to go over that vent but didn't want to mount it until I make up my mind on the fan install. However, it's good to know that the bathroom fan has enough pull to create a breeze in the living area., so I might just give that a try before going to all the trouble of replacing the vent. Thanks!

As for any fan noise, I am not sure what would be more annoying, the noise from the fan or the smoke detector when the DW decides to cook indoors .
Ha! I know what you mean about the smoke detector. We keep a paper plate handy and fan the detector if it goes off, but this doesn't happen nearly as often as it did in our 256RKS! At least the detector is installed a little further away from the cooking area in this trailer.

2013 Ford F250 CC Lariat 6.7 Diesel 4x4
2016 Eagle 338RETS - Finally got it Right!
2011 Eagle 256RKS (Traded)
2010 Select 141J Popup (Traded)
Dondeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #11

Just a little extra info;
I installed a MaxxFan in the living room area. It has a variable automatic speed setting that is very convenient. Its set at 78 degrees (but can be raised or lowered) and the fan runs higher or lower to adjust to that temp. At the lowest setting it is much quieter than the FantasticFan (I installed one of those in the bathroom) so I run the MaxxFan at night due to the low noise level. The vent operating mechanism is also much more "stout" than the FantasticFan. One useless feature however, is that you can run the fan with the lid closed...that does absolutely nothing. Your comment about the hood vent is right-on...that does virtually nothing to circulating air out of the RV.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote