Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

2017 X23B solar prep info?

Hi all I've been looking on the forums to find the right info but have not had much luck. Does anyone know how it works? Is there a plug in on the roof and/or side wall thats ready to rock for a suitcase stlyle 100 watt renogy or similar brand?
Have not picked up the new tt yet so were trying to prepare in advance so we can hit the road with all the things we need ! Solar would be a nice option to keep the battery charged when its our ONLY option.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #2

The solar on the side is for a portable panel with its own solar controller. I tried to post a video but there was an error. If you have roof mounted connections (MC-4 connectors) You have to install a solar controller to make it all work.
subpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Ok thanks for the info. I'll look for a YouTube video

Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 AM   #4

I was wondering the same thing about my solar ready 2017 Jay Feather. So I have to buy a panel and a regulator? I thought the solar ready meant that it controlled the power coming into the battery for charging? Thanks in advance for any help clearing this up. This is all new to me.
Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
Site Team

What they say is what you get... With a "Pre-wired" SOLAR setup, you get a connector on the roof (for permanent mounting) and a connector on the side for portable SOLAR kits. Sometimes you only get a side mount. They may throw in a breaker for the roof connector. Someone mentioned that the roof connector has a 20Amp breaker, which limits the Amps you can use the prewire for.

So in most cases for the roof mounted solar you will need a SOLAR Charge controller that you would mount next to the batteries. You can also buy panels to mount in kits that ship with a SOLAR charge controller, one example (GREAT pricing, and many of the members use) is Renogy. You can search Amazon and find them there.... look for the best price of course.

For the side mounted connectors for the portable SOLAR kits, the kits USUALLY come with a SOLAR charge controller.

Most of the members, I believe, would recommend going with the permanent roof mounting over the portable setups.

Check out our RVing with SOLAR social group link below. There is a lot of SOLAR, BATTERY and install information posted there.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #6

The smaller less expensive campers just have a port on the A Frame near the battery. It is a 2 pin SAE port that has wires going to the battery. Nothing else.

There are no ports up on the roof or any breakers, controllers or anything. They are designed to work with the suitcase solar panels where you just plug them in and move them to the sun.

Really it is not much more than $10 in parts that they slap on the A Frame that adds another "feature" to the list that another manufacturer may not have. Not saying the system can't be useful but it isn't as cool as I thought it was when I saw the sticker on the side of my camper at the RV Show. I was having all these thoughts of a rooftop panel system where I might be able to get by with no generator while dry camping as long as I didn't want AC to realizing it will be of little value to me and I am better off planning for the weight of a generator.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #7

Thanks Senn, that really confirms what ive read in the manual which doesnt give a whole lot of info to begin with. Im guessing the plug runs crap wires to the battery as well. Ill just have to try out a renogy suitcase model and more than likely connect directly to the battery for best results.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Yes

Sennister nailed it.