Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

2020 Entegra Odyssey GPS Problems

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2020 Entegra Odyssey 30Z and noticed when I left the dealership that the GPS on the Soundstream radio did not work. It only said searching for signal.

So, I called the tech support at Soundstream and they were very helpful. After I described the problem the tech guy knew right away it was a Jayco RV. He said that since Jayco installed the GPS antenna in the middle of the dash it couldn't get A view of the sky to get a signal because of the overhang of the Class C. He said they called Jayco and told them of the problem but didn't think they did anything to correct it. They suggested taking it to a Jayco dealership to have the antenna relocated.

Since I didn't like the idea of the antenna being placed on the outside mirror I decided to order a new GPS antenna off of EBay for less than $10. You will need one with a SMA connector. I had to run the new GPS wire through the firewall and behind the radio. After removing enough to get to the back of the radio I just disconnected the old one and attached the new antenna. I then routed the antenna wire to the side under the hood to the front of the hood and then just out to the top of the hood. Works find now but Jayco should have taken care of this problem before putting a new RV out on the market.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I hope you like the Soundstream GPS. Many of us here don't, and installed separate GPS systems with better capabilities.

Also, does the Sirius system work on your radio, or do you have to install the add-on module and antenna to receive it?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

The Sirius radio worked just fine once I activated the free trial period. Your suspicion of another GPS was right on. I have the Garmin RV GPS which works fine on the dash but I would like the Soundstream to work also. When I asked about why the Garmin worked on the dash I was told it had a different type of antenna than the Soundstream. I also wondered why the inside TV didn't have a DVD player. Dealer didn't know. So I had to find out myself that the Soundstream plays DVD's and is wired to the inside TV.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

It looks like they put the Sirius module in yours. Mine didn't come with it, it was "Sirius Ready", and I had to order it/install it to get it to work.

I installed a separate Garmin RV770. I really didn't like the routes the Soundstream GPS came up with. Plus the Garmin has a bunch of RV related features, and receives reception no problem.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #5

Soundstream feature on Accolade

Here is a feature I found using the Soundstream GPS on my Accolade. This only happens when using the GPS.

Conditions:

GPS Location set and navigation guidance turned on
Sirius/XML set to play my favorite rock station (any station will work)
Monitor set to view rear camera while towing

The feature

When a side camera is activated when changing lanes or making a turn the side camera is viewed and radio volume is set to zero. When the side camera is deactivated the radio monitor changes to the radio screen (not the rear camera) and the radio is set to the last FM channel played.

Apparently when using the GPS, Soundstream. knows more about what I should listen too (most time static because of location and channel frequency set) than I do.

My solution, do not use the Soundstream GPS especially since the directions given do not take into consideration the attributes (height, weight, length etc...) of a Super C motorhome. I prefer my Garmin RV GPS for directions.

This happened to me on multiple occasions so it is not a one-off problem. Also, it only happens when using the GPS in combination with the other items. When all others are used and GPS is not being used after the side camera are deactivated things go back to the way they were before the side camera was activated.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote