Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2024, 06:05 PM   #1

3,000 watt inverter for Jayco 5th wheel?

Looking at going with a 3,000 watt inverter for my 29.5 Jayco 5th wheel Anyone recommend a good brand? Running 2 lithium batteries
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoban View Post
Looking at going with a 3,000 watt inverter for my 29.5 Jayco 5th wheel Anyone recommend a good brand? Running 2 lithium batteries
Xantrex or Renogy would be where i would look.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:26 AM   #3

Several good inventor options. Think through your specific requirements. Do you want an inverter and charger. How are you going to monitor your battery levels. Do you want to monitor load and charge levels. Are you going to integrate with other electrical equipment in the future. Transfer switch, is it internal, automatic/remote, and what size.

A 3,000 watt inverter will require heavy gauge wiring, fuses, and disconnects. Typically setting a new foundation for your electrical system.

Up front planning will help you come up with the ideal solution. Only having to do the upgrade once.

That size inverter gives you luxury to run 120 volt loads. Improving the overall camping experience.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:40 AM   #4

Another thing is that you mention that you have 2 lithium batteries, you may want to check and make sure that you have enough battery capacity and throughput for the inverter (some BMS on the batteries will limit output which may limit the effectiveness of the inverter)

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:54 AM   #5

Information. A 3000 watt inverter running a total load of 3000 watts would be 250 amps at 12 volts. So, if you have 2 100 amp hour lithiums, and were somehow able to get all 200 amps out of them, it would las 45 minutes+-.
If you were running just your AC, and it pulled 14.4 amps, 1728 watts, it would be 144 amps. Your AC could run 80 minutes+-.
I hope your inverter and batteries will do what you want.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:15 AM   #6

More information. Almost every LifePo4 battery available specifies a "maximum" charge and discharge rate of 1C (which is 1 times the AH rating or 100 amps max charge and discharge rate for a 100 AH battery).

However, "recommendations" for LifePo4 batteries state not to exceed 1/2 the rated battery capacity for any extended period of time. In other words while you can charge or discharge at 100 amps, the battery will heat up and reduce its lifespan (cycles).

So, as Kevin mentioned, 3000 watts would be ~250 amps @ 12v, although if the converter can output 3000 watts, due to conversion loss, the input side would be even higher than 3000 watts (250+ amps), and the recommendations would be somewhere along the lines of having 5 or 6 100amp LifePo4's in parallel instead of only two, (50a discharge for 6 battery's providing 300A which would meet the 250A+ requirements). (or just don't plan on using the entire 3000 watts of the inverter). In any case, at least 3x100a LifePo4 batteries minimum, which would still load them close to their "maximum" ratings but not exceed the 100a per battery max.

Of course there isn't any issue with having a larger inverter than you plan to need so you could still limit your usage of the inverter to 50% of what it is rated for (or in that range) and just go with the 2 LifePo4's. I will add though that using an inverter sized closer to the usage requirements is more efficient. In other words a 4~600w inverter would be more efficient for running a small TV or Cpap than a 3000w inverter would be. ~CA
Old 05-15-2024, 11:17 AM   #7

To size anything electrically, you MUST always start at the load and work your way back to the source. You must know what you want to utilize at the same time, how much the electrical load is, how often and how long it operates, and then size the inverter, and then the batteries. Starting with, “I want a 3000 watt inverter” could be an expensive endeavor and lots of wasted $$$.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:08 AM   #8

Thx for all the info, i want to make sure I have enough power for what I’ll be using it for at my fishing camp now I run my trailer fridge and my 2 small freezers and outside kitchen fridge and tv the odd time on those rainy days, I also use my jackery 1,000 solar generator to help run my equipment
Old 05-16-2024, 09:25 AM   #9

If you can look on all of them, there is a plate or sticker that gives the loads. The load can be calculated if you get volts and either amps or watts from them all.
How do you charge the batteries? Are you trying for a few hours or a few days with this inverter?
Old 05-16-2024, 10:02 AM   #10

Inverter

Thx Kevin, I run my 2,200 watt generator to charge my 3 boat batteries when I come back from fishing they usually take 2 to 3 hours to charge so then that will help charge my Trailer batteries, I’m trying to cut down on gas consumption, I’ll run my appliances during part of the day and at night when it’s cool they don’t need to be running, 2 small freezers full of bait and food and outside kitchen fridge,
Old 05-16-2024, 10:11 AM   #11

This might be the best solution. Anker makes different sizes. This is all in one solution. Give it some thought.
https://www.anker.com/products/a1790...saAjbREALw_wcB
Old 05-16-2024, 10:54 AM   #12

Inverter

Thx, unfortunately thats out of my price range and that would be another item to lug around, looks cool though,
Old 05-16-2024, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoban View Post
Thx, unfortunately thats out of my price range and that would be another item to lug around, looks cool though,
As I said there are smaller units. By the time you buy a 3000 watt inverter, and enough batteries, and do all the wiring necessary, you are going to be spending quite a bit of money. Without the load information, this is all guessing.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:09 PM   #14

Inverter

Thx for input, inverter is my best option whether I go 2,000 or a 3000 watt, ive invested in 2 lithiumís already inverters about 4 to $500 for what I want.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:01 PM   #15

Just an FYI. I have a 2500w inverter which I planned to use just for the microwave and toaster. Unfortunately those 2 devices draw 2600w together so can't be used at the same time, as the inverter will shut down. The microwave is a very small model that's supposed to be only 1000w, but it actually draws 1600w. Ouch.
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #16

Inverter

I have a Jayco Eagle that I went with all Victron equipment, 800 watt solar on roof. If you have a 50 amp service on your RV it will bring in both hot lines. It is a charger, inverter, pass through and phase assist unit. I have 2 Signature Solar 400 amp/hr batteries. I use Victrons Smart Shunt with their Cerbo GX and small touchscreen to monitor the system inside my trailer. I also installed Mopeka tank sensors on my propane and fresh water tanks so I could monitor their levels. Also I installed a separate Solar charge controller that ties into the system for 200 watts of fold up Solar that I can move around to bring in more current.
DRayM is offline   Reply With Quote