Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

30 Amp Extension Cord

We do a lot of Winter camping. My shore power cord is getting hard to push back in at times. Also, some times its all wet from the snow and no matter how well I try to wipe it off I'm sure some water ends up back inside the compartment. I'd like to keep the insides of the trailer dry.

My generator shed is about 15' from the port. A 15' extension cord would work just fine. Is there an issue connecting an extension cord with the main cord still coiled up inside the trailer? The trailer cord's plug would be pulled out no more than a foot to make the connection, and I would use a canvas cover to keep the plugs dry.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
First go and get a 30 Amp RV standard male and female plug. Pull the cord fully out and cut it at approx. 4ft. Install the male plug on the RV side and the female plug on the extension cord.

Even better; go to Home Depot and get approx. 6 ft. rubber #10 and put that in the RV connection after you remove the original (stiff) #10 cord. Then do what is mentioned above. Have Fun!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

Push the cord in the direction of its natural set coil. Do a little better job cleaning it, and do not fret over the few drops of water left on it. It will dry in a very short perion of time. I have observed a few post over the years of coiled elect chor.s overheating and shorting.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

Jayco's manual cautions against plugging in and not fully extending the power cord. There are concerns about it overheating. Because of this I always fully extend my power cord.

I am considering converting to a detachable cord, but have not done it yet.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Site Team

I got tired of pulling and pushing in the cable. It kept getting tangled up and difficult to pull out so I converted it to a plug in type setup. I cut the 25' cable off at the TT wall and installed a female 30 Amp outlet on the trailer wall.

You would connect the inside cable directly to the newly installed receptacle. My setup is a little different as I wired my system to include my inverter.

Here are the parts that I used. Easy conversion! Easy to connect and disconnect shore power now.

Don

Jayco RV Owners Forum - Mustang65's Album: SHORE POWER CABLE CONVERSION USING EXISTING ENTRY POINT
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I got tired of pulling and pushing in the cable. It kept getting tangled up and difficult to pull out so I converted it to a plug in type setup. I cut the 25' cable off at the TT wall and installed a female 30 Amp outlet on the trailer wall.

You would connect the inside cable directly to the newly installed receptacle. My setup is a little different as I wired my system to include my inverter.

Here are the parts that I used. Easy conversion! Easy to connect and disconnect shore power now.

Don

Jayco RV Owners Forum - Mustang65's Album: SHORE POWER CABLE CONVERSION USING EXISTING ENTRY POINT
That looks like the best solution. Do you have a part number for the outside receptacle? Also, did the new receptacle cover up the old fitting without any modification needed?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
We do a lot of Winter camping. My shore power cord is getting hard to push back in at times. Also, some times its all wet from the snow and no matter how well I try to wipe it off I'm sure some water ends up back inside the compartment. I'd like to keep the insides of the trailer dry.

My generator shed is about 15' from the port. A 15' extension cord would work just fine. Is there an issue connecting an extension cord with the main cord still coiled up inside the trailer? The trailer cord's plug would be pulled out no more than a foot to make the connection, and I would use a canvas cover to keep the plugs dry.
Just buy an extension cord for campers:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55501-Po...extension+cord

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
NOT A GOOD IDEA, AND POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS!!

The onboard pigtail s/b pulled fully outside the RV when it is connected to shorepower. Failure to do so could cause the cord to overheat and potentially create a firehazard. Either cut the cord and install the thru the wall connector or cut it off at the 2 or 3 ft mark and connect via an RV extension.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

gypsmjim

IMHO Don "Mustang65" has the best and safest solution to address your situation.

The Furrion F30INS-PS Square Non-Metallic 30 Amp Inlet is another product that you could use in your conversion.

You can get it on Amazon.com; Camping World; or probably Colton RV might have it.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #10

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I got a black Furion Inlet for a good price on Ebay, plus the female plug end to do the conversion. I have no access to the backside of the wall, so I'll have to do the installation on the outside. I'll probably need to find a piece of white UHMW to make a plate to cover the existing hole, but that won't be a problem.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I got a black Furion Inlet for a good price on Ebay, plus the female plug end to do the conversion. I have no access to the backside of the wall, so I'll have to do the installation on the outside. I'll probably need to find a piece of white UHMW to make a plate to cover the existing hole, but that won't be a problem.

Sorry for the delay on the response, I could not find the bill of sale for the Furrion outlet, or the model number. I tried finding it on the internet, with no luck. May have discontinued that model.

What TT/RV are you modifying? What is on the back side of the exterior outlet?

Don
Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #12

Quote:

Don

Like your mod but am confused. Pics show inside female outets but pics also show male connector on the outside of the rv. Also one pic shows new exterior cover over the male connector port and another pic shows using the cut down oem port / cover with the small sliding tab where the cord passes thru.

Can you explain. Are the pics made from multi projects?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Like your mod but am confused. Pics show inside female outets but pics also show male connector on the outside of the rv. Also one pic shows new exterior cover over the male connector port and another pic shows using the cut down oem port / cover with the small sliding tab where the cord passes thru.

Can you explain. Are the pics made from multi projects?
Ok, let’s see if I can take you step by step through the project/15 pictures.
Pictures:
#1 & 2 – Added parts needed for project, plus one 30 amp male plug, see picture #13
#3 & 4 – is the exterior 30 Amp Flanged Inlet with Power Smart LED (Camping World $38 Catalog Item # 69570 newer model)

#5 – is the 4x4 electrical box cover with 2” hole (I believe it is for dryer receptacles – Home Depot/Lowes) with the center hole. I drilled the 4 smaller holes to mount the exterior power replacement outlet.
#6 – I removed the inlet hinged cover from replacement outlet and laid it into the 4x4 electrical box cover. I then drilled 4 screw holes to mount the replacement outlet into the 4x4 cover (used self tapper screws)
#7 – Picture of the mounted replacement outlet in the 4x4 cover.
#8 – This is the existing cover plate assembly that was on the TT. Before removing it from the TT, on the inside of the TT, draw a line around the back of the cover plate that is on the inside of the trailer where the wall is. You will then cut the portion that sticks out into the TT off so that it is flush with the inside wall. I then removed the cover plate and cleaned off the old caulking.
#9 – Picture of the TT’s cover plate with the excess part removed. (I have to figure out how to rearrange them)
#10 – This picture should actually be picture #8. It is how the cover plate extends into the TT, before trimming it.

In between #10 & #11 – You need to cut the 30 Amp service cable leaving enough slack on the inside to connect the 30 Amp service cable from the TT’s AC control center to the back of the new outlet. You will want to leave about 1 foot of slack on the inside of the TT… just in case.

#11 – Picture of the completed install from the inside of the TT. Reinstall the cover plate on the outside of the TT. The new replacement outlet fits perfectly in the 4x4 electrical box cover. As I was mounting the 4x4 new outlet, I put caulking around the part that fits up against the TT’s exterior cover plate. I then screwed the 4x4 plate in with 4 self tapping screws. I then went to the outside and caulked around the inside of the exterior cover plate where it meets the newly installed outlet and around the lip of the cover plate where it gets mounted to the TT. I figured caulking it from both sides will insure no leaks. (So far no leaks)

Skip #12 for now

#13 – I then took the 30 Amp service cord that was cut off and put a new 30 Amp Male plug on it.

#14 & 15 – Finished install

OK, #12.. This is a little different than the normal conversion above. You are probably a little confused, and rightfully so. I wanted 110VAC on all the outlets in the TT when I am dry-camping and did not want to run extension cords from the inverter into the TT. So, I ran a 12AWG Romex cable from the Inverter (front storage compartment) to the rear storage compartment where I terminated it into a RV 30 Amp Service outlet (bottom electrical box). I then connected the newly installed 30 Amp external outlet (shore power) to the top electrical box. Next I connected a male 30 Amp plug (big black one) to the electrical cable that goes to the TT’s 110VAC control panel. So when I am dry camping or traveling* I plug the TT’s big black plug into the lower electrical box that connects directly to the inverter for my 110VAC service (all TT outlets), or if we have access to Shore power, I plug the TT’s big black cable to the top electrical box that supplies CG 11VAC shore power.

* While traveling we run the fridge on AC and I have the TT’s wireless Wi-Fi router running for the TT’s rear view camera, for monitoring battery voltage and solar output.

Sorry this is so long. Probably took me less time to do the actual work than typing up these instructions.
Any questions, just yell.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRICAL Conversion - Electrical 4x4 cover plate.jpg   ELECTRICAL Conversion - Flanged inlet - Camping World info.jpg  
Old 12-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

Since I'm not going to do the inverter thing, wouldn't I just need the 30amp hinged input. Maybe can't do it that way because it uses a smaller hole in the TT. For now I think I'll just cut down the pigtail to 3' and install a male 30amp connector. Then add a female connector on the cord that I cut off and use it like you did for the extension cord to reach the power post.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
Site Team

You can install one of these if you want. Automatic cut-over switch.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
INVERTERS - POWER MAX 30-50 AMP.jpg  
Old 12-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Sorry for the delay on the response, I could not find the bill of sale for the Furrion outlet, or the model number. I tried finding it on the internet, with no luck. May have discontinued that model.

What TT/RV are you modifying? What is on the back side of the exterior outlet?

Don
Its a 2015 195RB. The "compartment" that the cord goes into appears to be behind the converter box, just below the furnace. There is no access to that area from inside.

I'll just pull out the cord, cut it off, attach it to the back of the inlet, and then push the short cord back in while screwing the new Furion from the outside.

While you reused the original port and cover I'll use the complete new assembly.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:

While you reused the original port and cover I'll use the complete new assembly.
I used the original cover because the new cover mounting holes did no line up with it.
Don
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #18

Quote:
I used the original cover because the new cover mounting holes did no line up with it.
Don
My plan is to mount the new box to a piece of white UHMW, and then drill the new plate to match the existing holes.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #19

OK...last question.

All the parts came in today. Ready to go.

Now, when I pull out the cord, how do I know when its out all the way? Other than resistance.....duh!.

I have thoughts of pulling hard and having it break off at the other end...LOL. Is it secured to the frame so you can't pull the wires loose?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
Site Team

When you remove the exterior cover plate, the hole will be about 2", and you will be able to see inside with a flash light.
Don