Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2023, 03:01 PM   #1

30 amp to 20 amp adaptor plug

If the RV is set up for a 30 amp plug, but all you have is a standard 20 amp receptable, can that be done with an adaptor?

My only concern is that the converter will work to charge the battery, and the lights and fridge will work.

I realize that the wall mounted AC and the microwave could not be run together, but could one OR the other be run?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #2

Yes they make adapters Choose the dog bone style. The little plug will get hot and melt... Been there done that.
You can run only up to the 20 amp plug current so no AC unless you add a RV Softstart. Google it. and at that a 135k AC will draw 12 amps.
The initial amp draw on an AC is huge
Softstart ramps it up nicer.
We have run lights, fan, fridge, TV and satellite receiver on 15 amp circuit
It's close but doable
If you want AC shut the other stuff off and switch fridge to gas

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #3

Yes, you can use a 20to30 adapter. I have ran my A/C while using an adapter however I suggest and always use a digital voltage meter plugged into an outlet when doing so. If you try to run the A/C or Microwave you should monitor the voltage and not run either if the voltage drops below 106~107v when running either. Also, don't use an extension cord if possible, if you do use an extension cord make sure it is a 10 or 12 awg extension cord. I say 10 or 12awg with the appliances in mind, if you only ran the lights and converter for the battery then a less capable cord would likely be fine. ~CA
Old 02-04-2023, 05:25 PM   #4

What RV do you have? Always best to get accurate advice plus add any model numbers for appliances on the RV with your questions.

As you said sidewall AC then you can run the AC and the lights and battery will recharge without blowing a fuse. Not a good idea to run the fridge or other items like toaster, coffee maker with the AC. Just to much draw for 20 amps. And, your outlet may either have other loads on it or be connected to a 15 amp breaker in the house.

My 195RB has side air that I use while getting ready, working on it or post trip clean out. Never had an issue but I watch what else I plug in on that breaker.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:55 AM   #5

Here's the one (dogbone style) that we use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUU5YA/
Make sure the one you get is wired with at least AWG10 conductors. That's rated for 30 amps so will have no trouble carrying 20. We plug in to a 20 amp outlet in our garage while we're home and have had no trouble with converter, lights, and fridge. We have run the microwave or A/C on occasion also, though not simultaneously, of course. We've also plugged into 15 amp outlets while mooch-docking a few times. We didn't run the A/C there, but everything else ran fine.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:33 PM   #6

Thanks for all the comments. Since I got some alternate opinions I think I'll just pass on even trying it.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Since I got some alternate opinions I think I'll just pass on even trying it.
We haven't tried to turn on the a/c or micro, but the day before we go out, it gets plugged into a 20 amp in the garage, the fridge is turned on to cool down, and all the inside lights turned on to pack it up. The converter is working also. I notice the amp draw is around 4 to 6 amps when I look at the EMS display. That tells me a slight draw for the battery charging, 3 amps for the fridge, and a couple for the lights, not LED (3 double incandescent lamps on the ceiling at one time).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:31 PM   #8

I've used an adapter to run my 30 amp RV out of a 20 amp receptacle for years. It's the simple plug type, not the dog bone style. It's never gotten hot or even warm.

I used it for several years when full timing, using it to plug into my generator, using it several hours each day. And at home I plug it into the garage outlet.

When hooked up to the 20 amp outlet I can run the microwave, or run the 15k btu air conditioner (separately), and only if the batteries are fully charged and the converter isn't working to charge the batteries. And again, the little adapter never gets hot.

If you're just keeping the batteries charged and drinking cold beer out of the refrigerator in the glow of the RV lights, the 20 amp circuit supplies plenty of power.

It looks something like this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 6.23.47 PM.png  
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
If the RV is set up for a 30 amp plug, but all you have is a standard 20 amp receptable, can that be done with an adaptor?

My only concern is that the converter will work to charge the battery, and the lights and fridge will work.

I realize that the wall mounted AC and the microwave could not be run together, but could one OR the other be run?
This 10/3 AWG 30-20 Adapter is the one I use when powering my 30 amp service off my 2kw inverter generator or a regular 20 amp circuit. If all you are wanting to do is charge the battery along with the fridge and lights this will work great. With the N5-20P plug you can only plug it in to a 20 amp circuit.

I also carry a 30-15 adapter of the same style just in case. I used that one a bit here at the house before I installed a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet for the camper. I kept the batteries charged, used the lights and ran the fridge as needed without issue off a 15 amp circuit.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote