Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #1

30 or 50 AMP

Hello, I am fixing to buy a 2021 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE this coming thursday. It is wired for 50 Amp service, but the salesman told me that it is wired for 50 Amp because the RV is prewired for a second A/C unit. He told me that if I didnt add a second A/C unit I can use a 30 to 50 amp plug and just run it on the 30 AMP. My major concern is I am looking for a EMS or surge protector and as far as I know a 30 amp protector will not work with 50AMP power and vice versa. So my question is, should I just plug it into 50 AMP since it is wired that way, or will it be ok to use the 30 to 50 plug and just run 30 AMP, and I have read so many reviews on surge protectors and EMS systems I have no idea which one to get, so can yall chime in with a good one or maybe a couple good ones and why yall like them over another? Thank you ahead of time.
firemanst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #2

A 30A EMS won't work with a 50A service, but a 50A EMS will work with a 30A service.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #3

Just food for thought...if you are looking traveling down south or in the southwest I would opt for the second AC. We have the 28BHBE and opted for the second AC. Our previous trailer had one AC unit and it constantly ran and was hard to keep cool here in TX where we live and when we went west to AZ or east to FL.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
A 30A EMS won't work with a 50A service, but a 50A EMS will work with a 30A service.
Now my camper has a 50AMP plug, I was going to reduce it to 30AMP by using a 50 to 30AMP plug running my camper on 30 AMPs instead of 50 AMPS, so are you saying I should just run my camper on 50AMPs and just get a 50AMP EMS?
Old 03-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Just food for thought...if you are looking traveling down south or in the southwest I would opt for the second AC. We have the 28BHBE and opted for the second AC. Our previous trailer had one AC unit and it constantly ran and was hard to keep cool here in TX where we live and when we went west to AZ or east to FL.
I had a camper years ago and it had a 13,500 BTU unit on it and it kept us fine, this one already has a 15,000 BTU upgraded one on it, so we should be good with just the one
Old 03-27-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
CAG

If the choice is between using and being able to use 30 or 50 never take the 30. I now have a 30 amp rig after having a 50. What a pain in the arse. I cannot run much of anything that draws any amp load without tripping the breaker. 2 ceramic heaters, forget it with the coffee pot on or the toaster going. I had a 30 prior to the 50 and guess I forgot what a pain it is to switch things off and on, Oh, and the wife's air dryer, turn everything else off.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #7

Thank you, so I will take the cord I bought back to wal-mart and get a refund. Now if I could just get some help on what EMS or surge protector to get.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #8

Go with the 50 amp service, get a 50amp EMS, and the second AC if it's still offered. If you are camped with only 30amp service use an adapter for the pedestal, the plug your 50amp EMS into the adapter. Frankly, I don't understand why they still make RV's with only 30amp service because the power requirements of RV's today often exceed 30 amps. Running the electric water heater, the AC, and a coffee pot, hair dryer at the same time isn't possible with just 30 amps. With 50amp service it isn't a problem. It's always better to have the ability to use more power when it's available. You will soon discover this when you have to plug your 50 amp rig into a 30 amp pedestal, then power management is a top priority.

My 30 foot TT has 50 amp service and is wired for a second AC. I was all set to purchase a second unit until I found various Threads on this web site on how to improve the efficiency of my Coleman Mach 15K AC unit. The last mod I made was to install the RV Airflow device and it made a world of difference in the output of my AC unit. This past weekend we camped in Quartzsite, AZ and the temps were exceeding 85 degrees, and our AC easily maintain a cool 72 inside.

Here are a few websites to help improve the performance of your new RV. By reading through the AC Ducting thread I found out my brand new travel trailer had a shoddy AC install as well as poorly installed ducting in the ceiling. Spend some time reading and watching the following. Happy Camping!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-67173.html

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:19 PM   #9

Like CAG said, if you have the option to run 50, go with that. However, we camp at a lot of state parks here in Michigan and very few have 50A sites. Does that stop me from going there? No way. I run my 50A cord to the power ped and then my 50 to 30 adapter and everything in my trailer works just fine. Only issue is running BOTH A/C units at the same time. Not a good idea. I can still run one A/C, my residential fridge, and DW revving up the nuke box and we dont have issues.

And like Explorer03 said if you dont have the second A/C, you might want to think about having the dealer install it. Even here in Michigan in the summer the second A/C is nice to have. My buddy had a 2018 29.5, used it one summer up here with one A/C and before the next camping got under way it was at the dealer getting the second one installed. He just recently traded it in for a new 2021 29.5. They ordered it with the second A/C, and a few other options.

As far as an EMS,... I got a Progressive Industries one. Mine is hardwired instead of a cord inline, but that is personal preference. You can do a search on here for EMS units and that'll make things clear as mud. Lol! But, dont be afraid to open a new thread about them and ask away.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #10

Thank you

Thank you to everyone with all the helpful information, going to start a new thread now so see if someone can suggest a good EMS for me. Are the wires east to get to on a Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE to install a hard wired EMS?
Old 03-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #11

I use a Progressive EMS-PT50X. I prefer to have my EMS outside just in case there is a malfunction that would produce a lot of smoke or other issues. Plus, I can plug it into the pedestal to check the power before I park my RV. It also doesn't require messing with your RV wiring that could lead to warranty issues. Just my $0.02...

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanst13 View Post
Thank you to everyone with all the helpful information, going to start a new thread now so see if someone can suggest a good EMS for me. Are the wires east to get to on a Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE to install a hard wired EMS?
My 28BHBE is a 2016 and I chose to install it under the bottom bunk where the cord enters the trailer. It was a bit cramped laying in there but very doable. I have the Progressive industries with the remote display. I did the Marinco detachable power cord upgrade at the same time.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote