Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #21
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
Thanks for all the input. We do very little dry camping, mostly full hook up. Once in a while I stay overnight in the storage yard. I think I'll stick with the 2 12volts. It's cheaper and less weight. I really don't know when to replace them. They seem to hold a charge okay but I don't want to wait until we are on a trip and they fail. Maybe I'll take them to my mechanic and let him test them.
Good idea and something that should be done from about 2 years on depending upon where you live. Batteries don's last much beyond that here.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
It's cheaper and less weight. .
Yes acid batteries are cheaper but they are about 3 times heavier than lithium
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
OK, question for you boondocking dudes. Looking for opinion based on experience.

So far, we have only camped using shore power and conventional campgrounds. Gotta break wifey into this dry camping gently. I have two standard Group 24 deep cycle batteries in my rig. We are planning on doing an overnight without hookups, and wondering if these two batteries will last the night. My first guess is yes.

Can't run the genny overnight because of "quiet times", so we'll be on batteries only. Temps will be in upper 40's overnight, so furnace will be cycling. Fridge and hot water will be on propane. Will probably run a TV for a few hours at night, few lights, charge phones overnight on the batteries. Wifey will probably want to cycle the coffee maker in the morning off of the inverter/batteries before genny start.

So, opinions, think there will be any issues with the two batteries lasting overnight?

Another question, I know many fire up their gennys to recharge and top off the batteries in the morning, but does anyone fire up the engine on the rig instead to top them off. My house batteries charge when the engine is running too. The Ford V10 has a 120 Amp alternator, I believe. I'm thinking that in the morning, I can just fire up the engine and let it idle to top off batteries. At the same time, I can run the cab heater to heat the coach.

One thing I noticed, it seems the rigs engine is quieter than the racket from the Genny, and if it puts out enough Amps to charge the batteries, does anyone do this, as an alternative way to top off the batteries?

the short answer is no you will be cold and you will need to go into town for your hot cup of coffee...

Most likely you will need to fire up the genny and make coffee fire up the furnace and watch tv while it burbles in the background...

you can charge via the coach if it is set up that way... you would have to put a voltmeter on the batteries when you have the coach running to see if it is charging them....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #24

lots of good input. both ways serve a purpose. what is your need?

I'd go with the option of 2-6 volt batteries, get from sams or something like that. Or stay with the 2-12 volts if it is working for you now. More batteries are for the people who need them.

6 volts together produce more amps.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I have a residential fridge in my trailer and it is powered separately from the main coach battery by a pair of Interstate 6v's.

Don't want to highjack this thread but is this something you did yourself or have done by a dealer? Curious on the process and requirements to set this up. Is there a thread on this site about it?

Thanks

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #26

Quote:
OK, question for you boondocking dudes. Looking for opinion based on experience.

So far, we have only camped using shore power and conventional campgrounds. Gotta break wifey into this dry camping gently. I have two standard Group 24 deep cycle batteries in my rig. We are planning on doing an overnight without hookups, and wondering if these two batteries will last the night. My first guess is yes.

Can't run the genny overnight because of "quiet times", so we'll be on batteries only. Temps will be in upper 40's overnight, so furnace will be cycling. Fridge and hot water will be on propane. Will probably run a TV for a few hours at night, few lights, charge phones overnight on the batteries. Wifey will probably want to cycle the coffee maker in the morning off of the inverter/batteries before genny start.

So, opinions, think there will be any issues with the two batteries lasting overnight?

Another question, I know many fire up their gennys to recharge and top off the batteries in the morning, but does anyone fire up the engine on the rig instead to top them off. My house batteries charge when the engine is running too. The Ford V10 has a 120 Amp alternator, I believe. I'm thinking that in the morning, I can just fire up the engine and let it idle to top off batteries. At the same time, I can run the cab heater to heat the coach.

One thing I noticed, it seems the rigs engine is quieter than the racket from the Genny, and if it puts out enough Amps to charge the batteries, does anyone do this, as an alternative way to top off the batteries?
RetiredOne, We do a lot of boondocking and here is the best advice I can give you. DO IT!!! Whatever happens is part of the adventure. Get out there, unplug and try it. If your batteries don't make it through the night (most likely from the heater) then you will be a little bit cold. You aren't gonna freeze to death at 40 degrees. If that happens get up wait until quite time is over and charge your batteries. That next night try to reduce the power consumption you use. There have been times when we had little ones that first thing in the morning we were making noise because I mis-judged our power consumption or a battery has taken a dump on me. Most often everyone around you is understanding. There is a huge difference between someone who is trying to learn and a jack wagon that doesn't care about others. You don't strike me as the jack wagon type so Camp Fearlessly!!! Also remember the power of a friendly wave should you notice a snarl from your neighbor

PS...I love me some coffee in the morning. If I may add a suggestion, have you ever tried a French Press? Warm up some water on the stove top, pour it in and let it do its magic. No electricity needed and oh so good for the soul.

Happy Camping

Rob
Old 02-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #27
CAG

Quote:
Most often everyone around you is understanding. There is a huge difference between someone who is trying to learn and a jack wagon that doesn't care about others
And I think most would understand but you also need to consider that the others have a right to peace and quiet during those quiet times also. So, you and three others decide that "its ok the others will understand" and you all fire up your generators at 7AM while the rest of the park is asleep. That is what get violators removed from RV parks. Your rights end where my rights begin.

I am not pointing fingers here but the current mind set that it "is all about me" leaves out all the other people who are trying to enjoy their time away from what ever it is they left behind. Be considerate don't assume that someone else is going to be ok with your generator running at 6AM. They won't. And don't assume that your dog barking all hours of the day and night is going to be ok. It won't.

Boondocking is just that. A long way away from others. If my nearest neighbor is within a mile that is too close.

And this is boondocking. Not parked in some RV park without connections.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0012.JPG  

Old 02-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And I think most would understand but you also need to consider that the others have a right to peace and quiet during those quiet times also. So, you and three others decide that "its ok the others will understand" and you all fire up your generators at 7AM while the rest of the park is asleep. That is what get violators removed from RV parks. Your rights end where my rights begin.

I am not pointing fingers here but the current mind set that it "is all about me" leaves out all the other people who are trying to enjoy their time away from what ever it is they left behind. Be considerate don't assume that someone else is going to be ok with your generator running at 6AM. They won't. And don't assume that your dog barking all hours of the day and night is going to be ok. It won't.

Boondocking is just that. A long way away from others. If my nearest neighbor is within a mile that is too close.

And this is boondocking. Not parked in some RV park without connections.
CAG take a deep breath. Take a look at what i said......"after quiet time is over". Nobody is trying to impinge on your "rights". My point is don't be so analytical. Its camping. Get out there and enjoy it.

Have a great day.

Rob
Old 02-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #29
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobieMo View Post
CAG take a deep breath. Take a look at what i said......"after quiet time is over". Nobody is trying to impinge on your "rights". My point is don't be so analytical. Its camping. Get out there and enjoy it.

Have a great day.

Rob
Quote:
There have been times when we had little ones that first thing in the morning we were making noise because I mis-judged our power consumption or a battery has taken a dump on me. Most often everyone around you is understanding. There is a huge difference between someone who is trying to learn and a jack wagon that doesn't care about others
Actually you did not say "after quiet hours" so the assumption is that you decided that it was ok at any time. Your comments left us to believe that "others will understand" if I blow off the rules and go my own way.

I don't need to "take a deep breath" because I seldom camp near others but there are many new campers today who camp the way that they drive. Without regard for others.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #30

people are moving away from the thread. If you aren't dry camping ALL of the time you will be fine with what you have.

as for jason... start a new thread and answer away. I have no idea what you are asking. 'something you did yourself or have done by a dealer? Curious on the process and requirements to set this up'

Just put batteries in your trailer, no dealer necessary.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #31
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
people are moving away from the thread. If you aren't dry camping ALL of the time you will be fine with what you have.

as for jason... start a new thread and answer away. I have no idea what you are asking. 'something you did yourself or have done by a dealer? Curious on the process and requirements to set this up'

Just put batteries in your trailer, no dealer necessary.
True that!

Old 02-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #32

Morning Coffee

Quote:

You are probably good until morning coffee depending on the coffee machine. I know our cappuccino machine really draws a lot. If it was me I would top off batteries with your truck to get around the generator noise.

I just now getting a 50 amp whole house solar system put in. Should be picking it up in a week. See how that goes.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #33

Which has more longer lasting power while boondocking ?

Two 6-volt golf cart batteries, or two group-31 12-volt batteries?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #34

Which has more overnight power while boondocking?

Two six-volt golf cart battery's hooked in series, or two group 31 in 12-volt hooked in parallel?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #35

Batteries

My experience is the 6 v work well due to the amp draw down, but I will say gel batteries work great in all environments. Lithium has problems in the cold and some solar systems require a certified type of lithium batteries. The new system I put in will have 4 12v 100 amp gel batteries with room for 2 more. I hope that helps.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I prefer 12-volt battery's because if I only have two batteries and a 6-volt goes down I have no power.
This concept is currently swaying my decision on whether to install 2x6V or 2x12V batteries.

We don't truly boondock often. So I think based on my particular usage, 2x12V would be a better choice. I'm primarily concerned with running 2 CPAPs for around 8 hours during a parking-lot sleepover on a multi-day journey. And only then if it's not too hot to be running my generator for the AC units anyway. I haven't run the numbers yet, but I think it should be fine.

And having a "failover" option appeals to me greatly. I tend to live by the old adage "two is one and one is none" (yes, I take 2 rifles with me when I go hunting, no, I don't carry them both on me in the field).

In all the trips like this we've done, we've never had to run the furnace at night. The best we've ever done is not running ANYTHING over night. Temperature was perfect, so we didn't need AC or furnace.

As for coffee, I will either wait until we start moving and fire up the generator, or I'll buy it local. It's funny, I just thought about it; I carry a percolator in the camper, but no coffee grounds (just K-cups)! Fat lot of good that does me!! LOL!!

Really, the only time we ever boondock for more than a few hours is at the beach. When we're out there, it's usually HOT, so we're running the generator and both AC units are pumping the entire time (2 nights, or about 72 hours total). Noise is not a concern because the next closest camper may be 200 yards away at the closest, and with the ocean breeze, you can't hear the genset more than about 10 yards from the camper.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #37

I have two 55 AH 12 volt AGM batteries from Sam's Club - they are around $100 each with an 18-month full replacement warranty. They seem to be a bargain...
Mark from Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This concept is currently swaying my decision on whether to install 2x6V or 2x12V batteries.

We don't truly boondock often. So I think based on my particular usage, 2x12V would be a better choice. I'm primarily concerned with running 2 CPAPs for around 8 hours during a parking-lot sleepover on a multi-day journey. And only then if it's not too hot to be running my generator for the AC units anyway. I haven't run the numbers yet, but I think it should be fine.

And having a "failover" option appeals to me greatly. I tend to live by the old adage "two is one and one is none" (yes, I take 2 rifles with me when I go hunting, no, I don't carry them both on me in the field).

In all the trips like this we've done, we've never had to run the furnace at night. The best we've ever done is not running ANYTHING over night. Temperature was perfect, so we didn't need AC or furnace.

As for coffee, I will either wait until we start moving and fire up the generator, or I'll buy it local. It's funny, I just thought about it; I carry a percolator in the camper, but no coffee grounds (just K-cups)! Fat lot of good that does me!! LOL!!

Really, the only time we ever boondock for more than a few hours is at the beach. When we're out there, it's usually HOT, so we're running the generator and both AC units are pumping the entire time (2 nights, or about 72 hours total). Noise is not a concern because the next closest camper may be 200 yards away at the closest, and with the ocean breeze, you can't hear the genset more than about 10 yards from the camper.

based on your usage you have the right answer 2 - 12v enjoy!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #39

55 AH wouldn't last me very long. I like plenty of heat in the winter... and the furnace fan likes 12-volts.