Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
I agree. And put one on each leg. In other words make sure one breaker is on the left and one is on the right.

Ken
Actually, you should put the breakers one over the other as the feed is every other breaker on the bus bars.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
So much false information but its really entertaining tho
wags999, You can either just insult the other posters with a vague snide remark or you can actually help the community by explaining what information is incorrect.

Which is it?

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Actually, you should put the breakers one over the other as the feed is every other breaker on the bus bars.
You're correct. My comment about making sure each breaker is on a separate leg is correct but I should have said to stack them on the same side because panels alternate back and forth.

Thanks for making the correction without making a snide remark. That's the proper way of informing the community.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #24

I have a 30amp shore service at my home for the Motorhome, I never need 50amp service at home the 30 is more then enough to run 1 of the AC's. keep the batteries charged, the Fridge, etc...... I use an adaptor, works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #25

I'm not an electrician, but I would think what your guy proposes is okay IF there is a way ensuring both loads cannot come on at the same time. I would suggest either a fancy transfer switch, or just using two of the Air Conditioner disconnects mounted side-by-side ($15 at Home Despot GE 60 Amp 240-Volt Non-Fuse Metallic AC Disconnect-TFN60RCP - The Home Depot). Just keep one set of blades and install it on whichever branch you want on at that time. I have no idea if this would pass a code inspection in your jurisdiction however - like i said not an electrician.

As long as the wiring used is of sufficient size, you can keep it as a 60A circuit. That is the maximum power that the circuit can supply; your rig will limit the amount of power it draws through the breaker on it's own panel. This is the same thing as plugging in a 15A plug into a 20A receptacle; nothing wrong with it and no damage will be done.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #26

Sounds like somebody trying to make you have more than you need .

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
khumsing.terrel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I'm not an electrician, but I would think what your guy proposes is okay IF there is a way ensuring both loads cannot come on at the same time. I would suggest either a fancy transfer switch, or just using two of the Air Conditioner disconnects mounted side-by-side ($15 at Home Despot GE 60 Amp 240-Volt Non-Fuse Metallic AC Disconnect-TFN60RCP - The Home Depot). Just keep one set of blades and install it on whichever branch you want on at that time. I have no idea if this would pass a code inspection in your jurisdiction however - like i said not an electrician.

As long as the wiring used is of sufficient size, you can keep it as a 60A circuit. That is the maximum power that the circuit can supply; your rig will limit the amount of power it draws through the breaker on it's own panel. This is the same thing as plugging in a 15A plug into a 20A receptacle; nothing wrong with it and no damage will be done.
It may be fine until the house burns down and the fire marshal finds it then the insurance says NO COVERAGE. This is why we have a National Electric Code, and this is one that is not up to code.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #28

Your 50 amp RV IS a double pole 50 amp breaker, NOT two separate 50 amp breakers. It is a 240 volt system...but at your RV breaker panel it is broken down to two 50 amp 120 volts "legs".. each leg powers certain items...ie one Ac, Micro etc If you have room for a double pole 50 amp breaker in the panel than that is what I would do. Using Number 8 wire (assuming a normal length of run) you would pull 4 wires...two hot legs, one neutral leg and one grounding leg. Wire the receptacle as per the diagram on the outlet. This would allow you to run everything in your rig up to the 50 amps per leg, or 100 amps total, at 120 volts. Sometimes RV's will have 240 volt appliances...ie dryers...obviously these will only operate when you have 240 volt service. Your 50 amp service allows you 12,000 watts of power at 120 volts... You could also run 30 amp 240 of power into your Rv This would allow you to run both AC and much other items up to 7200 watts of power.

If you run a single 120 volt line, your RV panel will only power one leg of the box and you will have 3600 watts of power available....enough to most likely run one AC...but not a lot else.

Your home has probably 100 or 200 amps coming into it. 100 amps you can have 20 single breakers...40 breakers on a 200 amp panel The total of the breakers will always exceed the main breaker size.. but,..we never run everything in the home on full power at the same time...if you did... worse that would happen is...you trip the main breaker. Same with your (sounds like a sub panel) with the 60 amp breaker for the heat..that will not be used in summer and your AC will not be used in winter..so no issue with somehow tripping your main breaker. Since your already aware that you can't run both at the same time, you just don't..but if you do..you possibly could trip the main breaker...not a biggie..

As far as having to bring more power in from the main power line...your RV alone will not cause a problem...if you already have issues with tripping breakers, this will only aggravate it.. if you don't have issues most likely you still won't.

If you post a picture of your main panel and any sub panels a better suggestion can be made. I would run at least a 30 amp (240 volt) outlet (#10 wire) which allows you to run both AC.s and a few other things. If you can I would go ahead and put in a 50 amp (240 volt) outlet #8 wire...then you could live in the RV if needed..

Your not going to hurt anything no matter what you do if it's wired correctly. Worse case your heat and your RV kick in at the same time, you trip the main breaker...that's the job of a breaker. The breaker should be the weak link in every circuit . Your rv circuit has a breaker, and so does your whole house circuit have on...the main breakers 100, 200, 400 etc.

For those not aware, a 50 amp RV circuit IS a 240 volt double pole breaker.. NOT two separate 50 amp breakers...both will work, but you want any overload in your RV to trip all the power. A 30 amp RV circuit is a single 120 volt circuit, just make sure to wire the plug per instructions...looking at the plug typically the lower left is the hot leg, lower right is the neutral and rounded hole is the ground. Either way make sure you run a properly grounded ground wire to the receptacle.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I would suggest getting an RV "panel" which has a receptacle and a disconnect on it. You want to disconnect the power when plugging in and unplugging, it will help eliminate arching of your plug and potential issues down the road. Do this at campgrounds also...turn the power off before plugging in or unplugging. I would use a surge protector or better yet an EMS (electrical management system) both at home and at campgrounds...insurance against a range of issues with over power under power, mis wired outlets and power surges.

Good luck and happy camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #29

I wrote up a whole thing on the subjects and it disappeared when I submitted it.

There is a lot of miss information above. It is definitely worth doing some research, and become educated. First call in a couple more electricians for quotes, and ask lots of questions.

There are three easy options that do not involve a whole new larger panel.

1st adding a second wire to a circuit breaker sometimes does meets code. The breaker has to be designed for it. The technical term, for this application is Double Tap.

You could add a sub panel, there is breaker requirements. The largest breaker size inside a sub panel is 66 percent (this # may vary around the country) of the feeder panel. So if you wanted to put the 50 amp rv breaker in the sub panel the feeder breaker must be at least 75 amps inside the main panel. However, the main breaker at the main panel entrance, needs to be at least 115 amps (odd size). If you have a 200 amp panel your set. So another option would be to move a bunch of 15 and 20 amp breakers from the main panel to the sub panel and place to 50 amp rv breaker in the main panel and use a 50 to 65 amp breaker to feed the sub panel. Both merhods require moving a bunch of circuit as you need to make room for two new double pole breakers.

I have rambled on again. You have options, time to get educated, and get a few more quotes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #30

Thanks guys. Been busy working so haven't read all this till tonight. Your comments haven't fallen on deaf ears. You've all given more to think about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote