Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2014, 04:33 AM   #11

Thanks, everybody. I feel better about using one now.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #12

There is absolutely NO safety issue in using an 50 amp to 30 amp adapter.

Another thought that seems to escape most people is the pedestal breakers are not there to protect you or your equipment but only to protect the campground equipment.

Your equipment protection is supplied in your camper by its 30 amp breaker (or 50 amp).

If you are really concerned about protecting your equipment you should consider investing in an EMS (Energy Management System). These can be pricey but still cheaper than replacing your air conditioner should you get exposed to high or low voltage.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

We have been using one for years with no problems at many rv parks. If there is problem with the 30 amp cord the 50 amp breaker on the hookup post will blow. Most electrical wires can handle at least double the amps they are rated for with no problems. That is a built in safety factor. FWI, the adapter is only hooked to one 50 amp leg (there are two) so one doesn't have to worry about losing the neutral and getting 240v. I always use an electrical tester to test the circuit before plugging in. One can get one online or at Home Deport for example for about $7. I also have a voltmeter I plug in to test the voltage. If it is too high or low one needs to know this before "frying" stuff.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Site Team

50 amp to 30 amp adapter?

The dog one adapter should be with you. I have an assortment to adapt any thing to my rig. The amp draw is determined by the load. Feeding it with 50a service that is properly adapted is a common practice.

You can buy the adapters most anywhere that sells R V supplies for less than 15 bucks.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #15

I bought a dog bone adapter at the advice of a friend when we first bought our TT. On the 5th or 6th outing, we were hooked into a spot that had 50 and 30A outlets. I was on the 30A feed and all went well the first day but the next morning the A/C tried to kick on and we lost power at the pedestal. The CG attendendant came over with a multimeter and could figure out why our 30A feed failed when the two sites next to us were fine. We used the adapter on the 50A outlet...it kept us tearing down and moving to another site.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #16

With my first TT, I always plugged into the 30 amp at the pedestal. I ended up replacing the end of my power cord twice as it was slowly burning away. When I purchased my Jayco, I said something about it to the dealer. He suggested the adapter, and my plug still looks new.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #17

I've used one at my home for years. Perfectly safe. Have 2 of them now that I don't use since going to a 50 amp coach.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
Site Team

The main reason you have problems with a 30a pedestal is most rigs use them an draw max current. The pedestal plugs get worn from use and heat up, melting the conductors or tripping at less than 30a. Over time they will self destruct.
CG's should replace the plugs and breakers but most don't.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote