Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #21

If you need capacity and you decide to stay with 12volts - there are GC12 Golf Cart batteries with 155AH. Same footprint as a series 31 but a little taller. SAMS sells Duracell made by Eastern Penn - very good batteries!
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmbrjk View Post
If you need capacity and you decide to stay with 12volts - there are GC12 Golf Cart batteries with 155AH. Same footprint as a series 31 but a little taller. SAMS sells Duracell made by Eastern Penn - very good batteries!

Yes, and as I have said the "6volt is better than 12volt" argument is an old wives tale now. There is nothing inherently superior in a 6 volt battery when a 12 volt battery is manufactured with the same percentage and plate thickness as a 6 volt battery. Also (2) 155AH batteries that yields 210AH has the same footprint of (2) 6 volt batteries with the same AH each but it takes two 6 volt batteries series wired to equal 12 volts and you don't double the AH as you do with a 12 volt battery set up.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #23

6 volts deep cyles are superior to 12 volt batteries as rv storaghme batteries. There are no true deep cyle 12 volt batteries just stickers, case size dictates plate thickness and 6 volt batteries are more robust due to significantly thicker plates which withstand discharging and recharging better than 12 volt batteries. Conversely 12 volt batteries are superior for short high amperage loads, like starting an engine.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #24

Correction: there are true 12 volt deep cyle batteries, but they are not widely available, they are more expensive and they still don't provide recharge cycles of 6 volt.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #25

I have “heard” that the WFCO converter has some problems with excessive water usage when 2 6volts are used in series vs 2 12volt batteries in parallel. My own experience backs this up BUT when I put in the 6 volts they were already about 5 years old when I put them in the camper. (Just trying to finish out the season). Yet I have not heard of anyone that has converted to 2 6 volt batteries say that they have any problems. Any thoughts? Are the people who have 2 6volt batteries having to add water a lot? Anyone here get 5+ years out of a set of 6volts? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledill View Post
6 volts deep cyles are superior to 12 volt batteries as rv storaghme batteries. There are no true deep cyle 12 volt batteries just stickers, case size dictates plate thickness and 6 volt batteries are more robust due to significantly thicker plates which withstand discharging and recharging better than 12 volt batteries. Conversely 12 volt batteries are superior for short high amperage loads, like starting an engine.

I guess you need to tell Trojan batteries that, and East Penn, Rolls, Johnson Controls etc.

Motive Deep-Cycle AGM Batteries

Trojan’s Motive deep-cycle Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) maintenance-free batteries feature a number of design elements to provide optimum performance. Robust plates and separators extend the life-cycle of Trojan’s deep-cycle AGM batteries while a computer-generated grid design is optimized for high-power density. Trojan’s deep-cycle AGM batteries are low temperature tolerant, shock and vibration resistant and have a low internal resistance for higher discharge current and higher charging efficiency.

12 Volt Motive Deep-Cycle AGM Batteries with C-Max Technology
31-AGM

OverDrive AGM 31™

J185-AGM
Old 12-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #27

I guess I maybe incorrectly assumed we where speaking about lead acid since I heard no mention of a.g.m. , gel or lithium?
Old 12-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledill View Post
I guess I maybe incorrectly assumed we where speaking about lead acid since I heard no mention of a.g.m. , gel or lithium?

Flooded lead acid as well. Like I said it's now an old wives tale about 6v better than 12v. The boating and solar markets have opened up the demand for true deep cycle batteries as well as the boom in battery powered construction equipment.
SLIGC12VT Magna Power 12V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery

$259.99
Core Deposit: $27.00 ? QTY

• Shipping & Pickup Options
  • • Pickup in Store

Limited Quantity at Northgate - Seattle

Change Pickup Store

Product Details

• 12 Month Free Replacement Warranty
  • Applications include: personnel carrier, aerial lift, electric vehicle, golf car, boat, RV, floor scrubber, or road sign
  • Ideal for 12V deep cycle applications
  • Multi-fit terminals enable quick and easy installation in different applications
  • Provides high reserve capacity to keep your golf cart out on the course longer
  • 70 minutes of reserve capacity at 75 amps

Specifications

• Item Number: SLIGC12VT
  • Brand: Magna Power
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group GC12
  • Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle
  • Warning: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
  • Battery Type: Basic
  • Capacity 20hr: 150AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Lead Acid Design: Flooded
  • Made in the USA: True
  • Maintenance Free: No
  • Product Category: Golf & Scrubber
  • Product Sub Category: Standard Flooded
  • Terminal Type: DT, SAE/M8 Stud, SAE/M8 Threaded Post, WNT
  • Warranty: 12 Month Free Replacement
  • Weight: 90 lbs
  • Length: 13 in
  • Width: 7.125 in
  • Height: 11 in
Old 12-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #29

I have to admit that without question I am a “12 volt” guy. I contacted the maker of Sams Club Duracell batteries. IIRC it was East Penn. ALL of their AGM batteries sold at Sams club are of the EXACT same construction (except for size of battery difference) regardless of whether it is a Start or marine or deep cycle battery. The nice lady did say that in a FLA format, there is a difference in construction between deep cycle and starting batteries. I didn’t go too far into the FLA difference because I want to upgrade to AGM for next year. Jay
Old 12-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #30

I will stand by my recommendation on 6 volt option. They are proven and inexpensive. Questioner mentioned they primarily will be using shore power. A $280. 150 amp/hr. Battery doesn't sound like the best option. 6v can be had for as low as $80 per and provide from 190 to 225 amp/hr
Old 12-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #31

If there was room in the OPs motor home battery tray, I’d put in 4 group 31DC batteries at$99 from Sams Club. When I started working on semi trucks 4 6volt were the norm. In the 1980s the industry switched over to 3 or 4 12 volt batteries. Lasted much longer. I know that any kind of “house” battery set up is a different application, but if there is room, the 12 volt group 31 is the way to go in my opinion. In a TT 2 6volts fit easier, but in my mind that is their only advantage. Jay
Old 12-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #32

6v vs 12 voltbatteries

We changed to two six volt about two months after buying our coach. With the 12 volt, we were lucky to get enough battery power for one to one and a half days forget using the heater we changed to two six volt in series and we went up to three days without recharging the batteries. Then we added 250 solar power and we have heater on, 3 tv’s, lights everywhere and it’s “ almost” as good as being connected to power. Good luck.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #33

The two six volt school makes sence. There is a mountain of data, data informed by experience that informs us that series six volts provides more energy than single twelve volts. An important component of that fact that Rustynuts makes is that the six times two battery can cycle twice as often as the single twelve volt battery. That with identical attention and maintenance. NEVER discharge below 50% and keep full but NEVER over fill. And keep terminals tight, clean and coated. One of the members of the twelve volt advocacy group underminds his own argument with the factually correct mention of test and rateing standards. Enough. You got some good information above. First figure out what you need, give some thought to maintenance, to your budget and to how you're going to keep them charged. Then go buy some good six volt lead acid batteries. You'll sleep better.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstraka View Post
Love to hear thoughts on 6v vs 12v house batteries in a Class A motorhome. We don't do a ton of boondocking, mostly shore power at CG.
Thanks in advance!
I have learned that with batteries you get what you pay for. When I purchased my first RV a 1121 Lance Truck Camper it had a brand Lifeline 12 volt from Concord Battery. It was a great battery. 6 years and going strong. I purchased my second RV a Jayco 5th wheel. The OEM battery was interstate. Lasted not 2 years before it was done.
I have since used Lifeline as they AGM and as long as you disconnect the ground wire as recommended by the MFG they last for months in storage.
installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstraka View Post
Love to hear thoughts on 6v vs 12v house batteries in a Class A motorhome. We don't do a ton of boondocking, mostly shore power at CG.
Thanks in advance!
(From my research and memory), I believe the 6-volt gives about 20% more AMP HOURS than the 12v, but DOUBLE the price, so even if I recall wrong and it is 40%, it is NOT worth the extra cost IF you do NOT boondock... LIKE having a 24kw GEN when you will NEVER need more than 12? MY OLD COACH BATTERY WAS 7-yo and chassis battery is NOW still strong at 11-yo
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:02 AM   #36

12v
rommroma557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
(From my research and memory), I believe the 6-volt gives about 20% more AMP HOURS than the 12v, but DOUBLE the price, so even if I recall wrong and it is 40%, it is NOT worth the extra cost IF you do NOT boondock... LIKE having a 24kw GEN when you will NEVER need more than 12? MY OLD COACH BATTERY WAS 7-yo and chassis battery is NOW still strong at 11-yo
Sams Duracell 6 volt golf cart battery $89.00. I don't see how that is double the cost of any 12-volt battery!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #38

It is all a matter of how much Ah you need, vs how much you want to pay for those AH.

We went with keeping the 12v batteries and using a comodity battery that is readily available anywhere for a very economical price. We got 368Ah in a deep cycle flooded cell for $292.00

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post708904
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote