Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

A/C Compressor not running

I have a 2013 Whitehawk 28DSBH and the A/C compressor won't kick on. The AC worked yesterday at a different site but will not cool today. The fan will run but I can't seem to get it to cool. The only thing I notice that we may have done wrong was not turning the thermostat off when we left the previous campsite yesterday. It kicked on as soon as we plugged in at the new site. Could the unit being on when plugged in cause an issue? Are there are hidden reset switches? I was on the roof yesterday, capacitors "look" ok, I've checked all the breakers, fuses, etc... Any ideas are appreciated.
Nyfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Check the incoming voltage from the pedestal. If the voltage has been low when plugging in at first might have burned the comp-motor, but has to be tested for sure.
The fan is running so there's power at the A/C unit.
Start with the TH on auto A/C; temp 70 F and A/C ON and see what happen. Otherwise it takes some testing with a Multi-Meter.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #3

I'll have to admit AC is not my thing. I've had thermostat on and it hasn't kicked the compressor on at all. If by pedestal you mean the power pole here at the site, it looks damaged from being hit by a previous camper. Is it possible there is not enough power (AMPs) there to kick the compressor on? I have a digital MM here what should I check?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #4

Does the compressor make any noise when you switch from "fan" to "cool"
The voltage could be insufficient to power the compressor which requires more energy than just the fan. The voltage can be measured either at the point where you plug in, or inside where the power is being used.
On my Coleman Mach III, if I don't have sufficient voltage, the fan will run, but when I click it to cool, the compressor 'growls' as it tries to start. If it remains too long in the start up, it will eventually trip the breaker as it draws too many amps without sufficient voltage.
I'd suggest turning off your A/C breaker, and back on. Then try to start it. If the voltage is close to 120 then It could be anything from a loose wire at the thermostat, to a loose wire at the compressor.
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #5

No noise at all. I reset the breaker, set the thermostat to cool, auto, high, then slid the thermostat till it kicked on. Still fan only. It doesn't sound like it's trying to start.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #6

Were you able to measure the voltage?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

118v at the pole.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

What brand A/C? If you open up the return air (coelman) then you can see where the thermostat wires attach on the terminal strip. Between the yellow (compressor) and the blue (12 neg) you should have 12v (ish) if the thermostat is sending power.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #9

airxcel_1976376[1].pdf
Old 08-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #10

Starting to sound like either a loose wire, or a dead compressor motor. I have plugged in my Seneca to the house on a 15 amp circuit with adapters from my 50 amp to a regular 50 foot extension cord (12 gauge, I think). The AC will start, and the compressor will run, but when I measure the voltage at other 115vac outlets in the coach, it reads 98 volts. That is MUCH too low, and I won't run it that way. When the voltage drops, the motor begins to draw more current. Too low, and the current goes higher than the motor can handle, and it overheats. That destroys motors very quickly. It is possible the power pole from which you disconnected was running your compressor at a very low voltage, and killed the motor. It is also possible you have a bad connection, bad fuse, or circuit breaker tripped. I doubt the fan and the compressor would be on two separate breakers, but it's possible I suppose. Try those first, and if you find nothing odd, I would have a tech look into it and troubleshoot. Could even be a bad thermostat. That would be a lucky break.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #11

It is a Coleman brand, I opened the air return and found that connection strip had fallen loose from its mounting bolts. The wing nuts were laying inside, I'll rehang and check voltage there. Do I test that connection in AC or DC?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #12

The power to/from the thermostat is ~12vDC. All of the motors (fan and compressor) are 120VAC. If you can open the .PDF I posted it follows a trouble shooting
Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #13

I found 12v between Y and B, then found 117v on the yellow and purple pins. Looks like capacitors or the compressor huh?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #14

I had this exact (sounding) issue this weekend. Except mine was working most of the day, then when I came back from a quick trip to the tore is was making a faint noise and not running properly. I turned off the breaker to AC for 10 minutes or so. Went and drank a cold one, came back in and it worked. I'm not 100% sure if that's what fixed it but it worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

2013 Jayflight 25BHS Elite
TV: 2002 Chevrolet 1500HD Crew Cab 3.73 Gears
:Canada:
Elecchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #15

I tried just for kicks. No luck, it's been a warm few days. Only four more to go. I'll take any other suggestions that might be out there.

Tags
air, air conditioning, compressor, reset, thermostat