Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #11

amabee, Is your AC an Airxcel? If so, they have been excellent with me as far as customer service issues are concerned.

Edit: I'm guessing you have an Airxcel 48000 series. If you do, there are about 16 different models in that series. Have all the tag information available if you contact them.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabee View Post
Curious, did the gasket have a brand name? This is what I am thinking of getting: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-25071-Un...rds=rv+ac+seal

I think my problem may be due to it being off center, where I see most of the little drips is where the gasket is sort of flopped over the edge of the roof. This was taken when I discovered the loose bolts, this side is only about half on the roof, most of it isnt compressed at all.

Attachment 6797

I also have a feeling a fair amount of dirt may have gotten under it, with it being so loose. What makes it even more fun, it has been raining all day long.
Well I have a Coleman unit and when I asked about a specific seal for this unit I was told by the svc mgr that a universal seal for 14x14 opening is all that is needed and what they use. No manufacture name, just some hand written numbers and price on the removable paper. good time to service the unit while your at it (clean/inspect cooling fins, fan, and check for clogged drain pan)

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
amabee, Is your AC an Airxcel? If so, they have been excellent with me as far as customer service issues are concerned.

Edit: I'm guessing you have an Airxcel 48000 series. If you do, there are about 16 different models in that series. Have all the tag information available if you contact them.
Yep, it's a Coleman Mach 3. I may contact them to see if they can come up with a reason why this is happening, don't know if I want a gasket from them though, this thing is soaking water up like a sponge, I don't think that should happen. But then again, this is all new to me, it is definitely seeping water under the gasket just about everywhere, nothing major, but certainly not dry. Several spots are soaked, top to bottom. I really don't know if tightening the bolts more is a good idea, they seem fairly snug to me. Not really sure how tight is too tight.

Quote:
Well I have a Coleman unit and when I asked about a specific seal for this unit I was told by the svc mgr that a universal seal for 14x14 opening is all that is needed and what they use. No manufacture name, just some hand written numbers and price on the removable paper. good time to service the unit while your at it (clean/inspect cooling fins, fan, and check for clogged drain pan)
No problem, the "Camco" is probably the same thing, they put the camco name on lot's of stuff, I don't know if they actually make much of it. Hopefully I can get our dealer to pay for the gasket, we bought used, but we do have a short warranty on all the appliances, which includes gaskets. Seems odd to me that a 2-3yr old gasket would be seeping water like it is. I just hope a new one will actually fix this problem.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

My owners manual says the following about the AC foam gasket; "A special foam gasket is placed between the roof material and the sub frame of the air conditioner to guard against water leakage. The air conditioner is subjected to wind pressures along with motor vibrations during normal operations". I can assume that "motor vibrations" could also mean road vibrations. Then in the Storage and Maintenance section it states; "Remove snow or ice as needed. Excessive weight can damage the roof, seals, etc. Water leaks and poor fit or operation are the results of this damage". My guess is that the snow load along with the stated wind and road pressures COULD be the problem IMO. If it were me, I would have it changed out under warranty then keep an eye on it.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #15

I think it has a lot to do with it not being put on right to begin with. I forgot about this sticky: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-many-affected Oddly many of them are 2011's??

Apparently this is a fairly common problem, those bolts may have been loose from day one. I guess the previous owner was not concerned about checking things like this.
Either way, they didn't just get that way overnight, who knows how many times it was pulled down the road with them like that, plus the normal vibrations when it was running.
I can tell this is some type of closed cell foam, it really should be able to hold the water out, but its most likely been damaged by moving around on the roof.
Fortunately, its not leaking badly, it just seeps very slowly under the seal and I see zero signs of any water damage. Doesn't help that its been raining almost nonstop since yesterday.
ITBC
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #16

agreed. the bolts being loose could have caused the uit to shift some thus the overlap of the gasket and may have allowed water to seep in. Your 1/2 way there..replace and re-secure.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #17

and it needs to stop raining Hopefully I can get our dealer to send one on their $$, if not I will get one on the way. I also found the installation manual and I think the front two bolts have been overtightened, the little yellow tabs are supposed to be at the roof edge, mine are about half way below the edge, so the front is to tight and the rear bolts were not tight enough. Basically, this gasket is messed up.
ITBC
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #18

Ok, our dealer has a new gasket on the way, no cost. I want to make sure I do this right so I have a couple questions. Are the little "tabs" part of the gasket? I can't really tell from exjay1's photo but I do see them after it was placed back in the opening. Are the tabs the best way to determine if its compressed correctly? Just trying to make sure I don't mess this up.
ITBC
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

My understanding are the tabs are part of the A/C flange.
Compress gasket until tabs just touch roof, should be ~1/2"

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #20

X2 Doug.