Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

A/C Not Working...ON HOTTEST DAY OF THE YEAR!

I replaced the standard analogue Coleman Mach thermostat with a Coleman Mach digital last March and both the heater and A/C worked great . . . until last week. Heater still works fine, but when I switch to A/C I hear a click, and the LCD display shows "00", then goes blank, then click and back to "00". It will continue doing that until I switch it off. The fan still works on the "manual" setting. I've reset the breakers and checked the fuses, but can't seem to fine one that's blown.

Is there a hidden reset switch for the A/C like the one on the furnace? I removed the inside A/C cover, but there's nothing in there. Is there a switch under the cowl on the roof? Could I be out of coolant? Do I need to call a mobile technician? (I'm full-timing as Campground Host, so leaving at the nearby Camping World for 2-4 weeks until they can get to it is out of the question.)

Any suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

To me it sounds like something is up with the thermostat. I'd start by checking the connections to the thermostat, if that's good try putting the old one back in. If you don't have the old one look for an RV store or Lowes nearby where you could get a temp replacement. It might be possible to trick the A/C into running by bypassing the thermo which would verify it does/doesn't work. I haven't attempted that and would have to study a wiring diagram before attempting it tho.
"Summer is coming, John Snow."

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #3

Found this on IRV2, it may give you some tips. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/colem...ues-91009.html
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

I would double check the wiring connections on the new stat first. Those tiny wires can be a little tricky, you could just have a loose connection.

+1 to putting the old one back in. You kept it right? I keep everything until the new install has proven itself without question. In fact, I think I still have my old stat, and I don't even remember how long it's been since I installed my digital.

This will at least get you through the hottest part of the season, then you can trouble-shoot the digital stat later.

A brief scan of an owners manual I found online didn't net a result for that error code, but it has wiring diagrams:
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-...l_19763761.pdf

ETA: I also found some chatter on various forums about interference in the 12V system caused by fluorescent lighting (or other) that could be a potential cause? Do you have anything on your 12V system that could introduce interference? I'm thinking cheap LEDs perhaps?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Do I need to call a mobile technician? (I'm full-timing as Campground Host, so leaving at the nearby Camping World for 2-4 weeks until they can get to it is out of the question.)

Any suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
Yes... a Mobile tech is your best choice. They can assess it, and either fix it or order a replacement for you at the same visit.

... and how did you find a CW that can get it done in 2-4 weeks? That is unheard of around here. They are always a minimum of 6-8 weeks waiting for parts while our unit is torn apart sitting there. You are Lucky!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

I would agree with Red Horse1 when he said to 'trick' the A/C. The thermostat is simply an on/off switch. The temperature portion of the thermostat that tells you how hot/cold the room is replaces you from having to remember to turn your unit on or off (besides feeling too hot or cold).

If you remove the thermostat and touch the wires together that your thermostat would normally 'join' together when a demand for A/C (or heat, depending on the season - same principle), it should come on. There may be a slight delay for timed relays to engage but it should come on. If it doesn't, you need to replace the thermostat or perhaps the batteries in the thermostat (I had to do that yesterday in my house to get the thermostat to respond). If you keep the wires together, the A/C will stay on until you remove the wires from touching each other. That makes YOU the thermostat and that's why we have thermostats so we don't have to stand there holding wires together or leave the premises and forget to disengage wires.

I hope this helps. Essentially, doing this will tell you if it's a thermostat issue or something else in the unit and/or wiring system.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you could jump red to yellow and green if needed.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

I also switched to the digital one but still have the old one. I can send it to you if you still need it to make your test.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Team

I have a buddy who zapped his new digital thermostat by wiring it up wrong. A new one solved the problem. I would try re-installing the old one and triple check the wiring colors.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #10

Nothing more to add here tech wise but I will also offer up my analog T stat as Troutslayer did if needed.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:36 AM   #11

A Big Thanks!

...to everyone who responded. Your quick responses and assessments of my options are why I love the JOF!

I've double/triple checked all the connections - removed wire nuts, restriped the wires, and reinstalled the wire nuts. Still get heat and fan (both speeds), but no A/C. I did keep the original analogue t-stat - just in case . . . (Mrs. Brownie didn't raise no dumb boys!) I reinstalled it, but it's not working at all. It has a tiny tubular glass fuse (2V/250W) that's blown in it. Tried a local hardware store, but the kid working there sold me a 2 milliamp fuse. Needles to say, that popped the second I turned the switch onto heat. So I re-reinstalled the digital t-stat (at least I can run the fan). Plan to go into town today and find a 2V/250W replacement fuse either at Home Depot or Camping World. If I can find one, I'll re-re-reinstall the analogue t-stat and just use it until I can get a replacement digital.

Since it worked for 3 months, and now it doesn't, after reading your posts and playing with both t-stats, I've determined that the digital one has a faulty function control switch. Guess I'll be contacting Amazon for a return/replacement unit.

Thanks, again, for all your help!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #12

Just thinking and you probably have already thought of it, but the new digital one doesn't have the fuse in it does it? Perhaps you could borrow it and save a trip into town?
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #13

A/C Not Working...ON HOTTEST DAY OF THE YEAR!

The digital Coleman one does have a fuse but no sure if it's the same.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 AM   #14
Site Team

I still have both of my old analog ones hope they are never needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #15

Are you "Up North" for the summer yet? Are you staying in TX this year? If so, where are you staying? I'm making a short trip out to Junction from San Antonio area this weekend; if you're staying reasonably close to my route, I can stop by if you need a hand? Not sure how much help I could offer, but I thought I'd offer it anyway! LOL!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote