Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #1

A/C Only or Heat Pump?

Hi All, I killed my Coleman Mach 15 on my 2018 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS on a tree in CHarleston, so I have to replace it with a low profile. I know the unit was taller out the factory than the spec sheet says it is and not happy I can't seem to get anyone at Jayco to talk to. The only person I could get just read off the spec sheet on how tall it is and would not help me.

SO, I need a replacement and my question si I know I can go with a Mach 1o or Mach 8 in AC only, but is it worth the extra up to 600.00 more to go to a heat pump. If I stay with a Mach 8 AC only the chill grill and mounting I have can be used. If I go to a Heat Pump I have to change out the Chill Grill and Thermostat and wiring box. Then the local Jayco dealer said it would cost up to 3 hours labor as he felt it would take fishing an extra wire down to the t'stat.

So question is? Is a heat pump worth the extra cost, or would it be best to go back to A/C only. Ideas?
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #2

Depends on how much camping you do where the heat pump would be used. I have a heat pump and have never used it, we are done camping before it gets cold enough.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

Agreed, and we camp in cooler weather but nothing a smaller ceramic heater wouldn't take care of. If real cold we would use the furnace anyway. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBees View Post
Agreed, and we camp in cooler weather but nothing a smaller ceramic heater wouldn't take care of. If real cold we would use the furnace anyway. Thanks for the quick reply.
Also the heat pump will only produce heat down to about 40, the lower the temp the less heat you get.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

I have a heat pump and really like it. But I don't think I would like having it up front. It just gets hotter up there faster. I have to close off the vents up there sometimes anyway. For me that and all the extra just wouldn't be worth it.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback and I had pretty much made my mind up not go go heat pump but decided to ask the masses. If I had done the rear as well then maybe so. Thanks again!

Tags
a/c jayco eagle, heat pump, jayco eagle 321rsts