Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

A Propane Puzzler:

I’m having a small issue with my propane system. All is good, then all of a sudden the propane flow seems to stop. It affects all LP appliances. What I then have to do is to turn off both valves at the tanks then turn them on again. Then all is good for a day or two.

Both 30 lb. tanks are full and turned on. All hoses and connections look good. I inspected entire length of LP lines under the rig and all looks very good. Green signal on both sides of regulator.

What else should I test or be looking for? Someone suggested that the safety check springs on the tank valves might be bad. I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #2

It sounds like your excess flow control is actuating for some reason. I found this really good explanation of how the flow limiter works.

"Let’s talk about a couple of the features on these new pigtails. Both features are parts of the big green nut.

The first is a black thermal-sensitive bushing found just behind the green nut. If this bushing is ever in a fire with temperatures between 240°F and 300°F, it melts and allows the brass nipple inside the nut to move back about ¼ inch, which closes a small piston inside the cylinder valve totally shutting off the flow of propane. This innovative feature will help mitigate fires or explosions.

The second new safety feature is called a “flow-limiting-device.” Its purpose is to restrict the flow of escaping gas if there is an excessive leak in the RV’s gas system. It’s this second “flow-limiting-device” feature and how it works, that forms the core of the secret! Almost every time the cylinder valve is opened, a small ball in the center of the brass nipple (inside the green nut) is pushed forward into a brass seat. This seat doesn’t totally shut off the gas. By design, it allows a small amount of gas (by-pass flow) to go into the RV’s gas system. If everything in the gas system is closed and in the off position and if there are no leaks, the by-pass flow builds up a back pressure that equalizes the pressure in the ball back of the seat and allows unrestricted flow through the system. All this happens in about five seconds and the owner doesn’t even know it’s happening, appliances light, furnaces and water heaters run and everything is normal.

Now lets look at the same system but with a burner left on at the range top. Again the cylinder valve is opened, the ball is pushed into the seat, the by-pass flow goes out through the system but this time it can’t equalize because the flow continues out through the open range top. The owner goes inside and starts cooking dinner. He lights two burners on the range top and everything seems OK until the furnace comes on. At that point, the flames on the range top are drawn way down and the furnace won’t ignite, everything seems starved out. The reason? We don’t have full-unrestricted cylinder flow to run our system, we only have the small by-pass flow which is far too small to feed the appliances in our gas train.

HOW DO WE FIX THE SITUATION? Turn off all the appliances, make sure everything is closed and at the off position, wait about 15 seconds. If the system is closed and tight, the back pressure builds up, equalizes and feeds unrestricted cylinder flow for normal operation. Keep in mind if your system has a cracked fitting or split tube somewhere in the gas system the by-pass flow will not equalize until that leak is found and fixed."
Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #3

us71na, that explanation makes perfect sense!

I watched this video on YouTube that explained this issue word for word on what you posted. I never knew to open LP tank valves very slowly after you change or refill tanks.

Thanks for you help!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #4

Yes, you need to open the valves slowly. I am always amazed that even though the propane system has no leaks, if you shut off the bottles for a few days, you still have to bleed the air out of the lines before your stove burner will light. Where does the gas go and how does air get in the lines?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks Meeker good video did not know that!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0153.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #6

Yeah - good video. I got a new portable camping grill where it says the same thing in the instructions. Sure enough, you better open propane slow at first, or it wont light. Pretty sure the grill fitting doesn't even like to see full pressure.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote