Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Please pardon my ignorance, but why is an modern A/C unit designed to allow the evaporator coils to drop below freezing (0*C)?

Cost.

Fancy controls are expensive.

vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #12

Last night we got back from Epcot to find the coach was 76 inside. We did not have the AC on. I put the AC on and noticed shortly after my condenser would cycle even though the fan kept going. Fan is on Auto - t-stat was on 72. Outside air must've been around 65 or less. Maybe 62?

I'm hoping it was my frost sensor keeping the system from becoming an ice block. Heat pump function seems to work fine. Going to try again in a couple hours when it warms up around here.

Jopopsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post
In addition to running at night with thermostat set too low, I found that my freeze control sensor was disconnected from the evap coil when I removed AC shroud. See loose white wire in attached photo. Will definitely need to place that back between the fins in the coil.
This is what I experienced. The sensor was on a friction clip that attaches to one of the tubes on the coil. It would corrode from the moisture, and make very poor contact. All i had to do was pull it off and scrape off the corrosion, replace it on the tube, and it worked like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Please pardon my ignorance, but why is an modern A/C unit designed to allow the evaporator coils to drop below freezing (0*C)?
We're dealing with human comfort, not keeping the ice cream solid.
They do actually have a sensor. It's what tells teh compressor to stop sending refrigerant through the system. But if its not working properly for whatever reason, you get freeze up.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #14

Investigating further I took off the bottom plate and plastic divider on my Coleman. There is a thick wedge insulation/divider that separates the supply and return. Mine was not seated properly - so I wedged it so it sits in the track of the plastic divider and it now makes a firm seal with the top and bottom of the plate and AC unit.

So far so good - and I haven't felt cold air come out of this thing like this in a long time. If ever.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Investigating further I took off the bottom plate and plastic divider on my Coleman. There is a thick wedge insulation/divider that separates the supply and return. Mine was not seated properly - so I wedged it so it sits in the track of the plastic divider and it now makes a firm seal with the top and bottom of the plate and AC unit.

So far so good - and I haven't felt cold air come out of this thing like this in a long time. If ever.

That sounds like what's going on in ours - Jayco had wedged a rectangular piece of insulation that also forced air into the ducts.

It came loose, I re-wedged it - twice.
Then twice with duct tape - didn't hold.

Finally, into the woodshop with some scrap 1/4" ply to make a wedge for the wedge and it seems to be holding. Hope you have a better experience!
pconroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #16

X2 on the big piece of separating insulation just laying there on my bedroom ac Reinstalled with ac silver tape and all good. Talked with Jayco about why they do not taped it in. They now are after complaints.

How is the main quiet unit separated since there is no inside piece. Has anyone pulled that unit from the roof? I should of asked Jayco that
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #17

Jopopsy, pconroy, Rock. Same here separating insulation on bedroom unit was out. It had been Wedged in place with one little piece of tape. Had to retape it. It is just a absolute shame this happens. I do not like not being able to see the living room unit.

I did get on the roof and checked living room unit. Had to pull off covers to see inside. It looked ok. I did add some tape but it was very hard to get to without removing the whole A/C. Just did the best I could.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #18

Thanks for the reply. I am gonna pull my cover next time on roof and check it out. I bet it is hard to get to in place. When I get my roof redone I will ensure it gets a good tape job.
Rock
Old 05-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #19

Quote:

So I'm camping again and I have the same problem again. I also have the same solution. So I suppose my wedge/divider is coming unseated/loose as I'm underway.

Looks like I need to get some aluminum tape and get to work up there fastening the wedge in more permanently. Seems like a poor design for an appliance w/ such a great track record for reliability.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
So I'm camping again and I have the same problem again. I also have the same solution. So I suppose my wedge/divider is coming unseated/loose as I'm underway.

Looks like I need to get some aluminum tape andm get to work up there fastening the wedge in more permanently. Seems like a poor design for an appliance w/ such a great track record for reliability.
At least that is an easy fix on the bedroom unit. Also make sure the sensor temp wire end is in the evap coil. I put a dab or silicone on mine to ensure it does not com loose.
The low profile units have two separate fans unlike the tall units
Rock