Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Has anyone used this? If so, what were the results?
I am thinking this would be GREAT for boon docking.

Micro-Air - Products
I've been looking at that and my thinking is this: my 3K inverter generator doesn't have an issue starting my 13.5K air when not in "eco" mode, and once the air is running, if I switch to eco, it will idle down considerably. So I wonder if this box will allow for an eco start, maybe giving enough time for the RPMs to increase without a voltage dip.

M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
I've been looking at that and my thinking is this: my 3K inverter generator doesn't have an issue starting my 13.5K air when not in "eco" mode, and once the air is running, if I switch to eco, it will idle down considerably. So I wonder if this box will allow for an eco start, maybe giving enough time for the RPMs to increase without a voltage dip.
Well, According to the videos I have been watching, It causes a 15 second delay thus allowing for the Generator to spool up from ECO mode to full power BEFORE the air Conditioner tries to start. Watch the full Video. Pay attention to the before and after PEAK Amps. As they stated, the Micro Air learns your compressor and as it does, the Peak amps comes down. He is starting that AC with a 2000 watt generator.
I am seriously thinking of getting this for boon docking.
Here are 2 links:

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled from tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #13

With mine it depends on the altitude. If I'm at sea level I can get it going with just one but at home (3000 feet) I have to run both of my Hondas.

It's a Coleman 5000btu eco(something).

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #14
M&A

Quote:
Well, According to the videos I have been watching, It causes a 15 second delay thus allowing for the Generator to spool up from ECO mode to full power BEFORE the air Conditioner tries to start. Watch the full Video. Pay attention to the before and after PEAK Amps. As they stated, the Micro Air learns your compressor and as it does, the Peak amps comes down. He is starting that AC with a 2000 watt generator.
I am seriously thinking of getting this for boon docking.
Here are 2 links:
Well, mine will arrive in three or so days -
Old 04-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
Well, mine will arrive in three or so days -
PLEASE, Let us know how it goes.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
M&A

Quote:
Will do. I'm very curious about this device. My work involves, among other things, several thousand 480V soft starts and VFDs. Should be interesting; I do have some really good test gear. We have a ten day trip in four weeks, so I need to hustle with this and a couple other things.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
M&A

Quote:
Wow! Went from 44.4 starting amps to 16.9. Really too hot on my Orlando roof today to play with better measurement gear, and I'm sure my current probe wasn't catching peaks too well but I am really impressed.

The big test was with my generator - echo mode is amazing. It revs just a little when the compressor kicks in and settles just above idle.

I've also noted that now I can't tell when the compressor comes on from inside. Before it was announced by a brief drop in the fan speed and now that doesn't occur. It was annoying at night since I'm a very light sleeper.
Attached Thumbnails
EasyStart Before.jpg   EasyStart after.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #18

That's an impressive improvement.

To try to answer a question that went unanswered earlier in this thread, yes, older A/C units used a different type of compressor. Scroll compressors were just starting to become common in the residential market when I entered the HVACR industry 25 years ago. While I have never played with RV A/C units, they do seem to lag behind in the technology department. I am a former commercial refrigeration technician and am currently employed as a technical service advisor and technical trainer for the worlds largest and most technologically advanced HVAC manufacturer. The industry is moving towards frequency drive compressors (known in the HVAC industry as Inverter compressors) and I wonder how long it will be before the RV A/C manufacturers follow the trend. I have seen 4 ton Inverter compressors start up at 0.8 amps.
10canyon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
The industry is moving towards frequency drive compressors (known in the HVAC industry as Inverter compressors) and I wonder how long it will be before the RV A/C manufacturers follow the trend. I have seen 4 ton Inverter compressors start up at 0.8 amps.
That's what I love about the Samsung Residential fridge (inverter compressor)in our PINNACLE. Max current draw is 3.9 amps so the inverter is barely working.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's what I love about the Samsung Residential fridge (inverter compressor)in our PINNACLE. Max current draw is 3.9 amps so the inverter is barely working.
Yes, BUT, we are talking about RV Air Conditioners here and using 2000 watt generators running in ecno mode starting them by using the Micro-AIR Soft Start.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)