Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #1

AC removal question...

Can anyone tell me what is involved in removing the AC unit on the roof of my X23B? If I can get my camper through the door where I work, I have free heated indoor storage for the winter. Problem is the door measures about 119" and that's the same height as the top of the AC shroud. I'm going to try letting air out of the tires first, but if it still won't go I might try taking the AC off completely. Is the gasket glued to the roof? Thanks
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #2

No the gasket is not glued. The unit is probably heavier than one person should attempt by themselves. Also put a heavy blanket or cardboard on roof to prevent damage. Then you have to get it off roof?????????? Be careful good luck.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

No it isn't glued. Read the owners manual that came with your trailer. it will explain it.

you will need to remove the inside cover and unhook the wiring. Next there are 4 bolts to remove and that is it.

I would suggest purchasing a new gasket but if your trailer is new you should be able to reuse it no problem.

I urge you to be extremely careful...that A/C unit is heavy and cumbersome and you greatly risk doing extensive damage to your roof material

even if it is heated storage you should still do a full winterizing procedure in case of a loss of heating. leaving it outside may be better in the long run than removing the A/C.

lowering the air pressure and just removing the shroud will hopefully gain you enough clearance

Good luck
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #4

I would suggest purchasing a new gasket when you put the ac back on. If you reuse the old gasket and it leaks, you would have to remove it all again, no more then a new gasket cost it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it turns out. I might not even attempt to remove the AC. I'm hoping it will squeek by!
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote