Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Add a Charger, keep the Converter?

Hello all!

This is my first post. We just bought a 2014 White Hawk 24RKS and we are getting it ready for camping and a trip to Alaska in June. Have two 6v golf cart batteries and Led lights in already. I noticed the small gauge wire and location of the converter and thought I might have a problem. Only reason I knew is I just update the house batteries on my boat and the stock wire is 0/x big around as my index finger and all the runs are short. So I have been reading all about upgrading the wire and charger here.

Question is, if I add a charger and inverter in my front pass through storage and a surge suppressor and transfer switch in the back (near the stock converter) do I have to do anything about the stock converters charger? If the TT is on shore power, then the new charger will be going strong, what will the Converter be doing? Can I connect the converters current 12v input and the inverter to the same junction block as the new charger?

Thanks in advance, I have really enjoyed lurking here the last few weeks and reading all I can.

Blue Ox Sway Pro
crabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #2

My first thought is why are you adding a charger? I would not allow the charger and the converter to be connected to the battery bank at the same time.

The details are sketchy but the inverter should be connected as close to the battery bank as you can get.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

Question Charger and existing converter connections

Hi Chuck,

My concern is the WFCO WF-8735P converter is way to far from the batteries about 30' with too light a gauge wire to the batteries. I am comfortable installing a new charger just not sure if I can still use the power center in the existing converter or how it fits or doesn't fit in if I add a charger. Been following this plan http://www.kissmygrits.net/factory-r...ocking-part-2/ Kyle's description of the issue is exactly like mine other then the existing equipment he has is different. His solution works for me, just not sure what to do not do with the existing converter.

Guys that add solar must deal with this issue as well?

This is my Converter/Power Center
http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Po...?ptype=3&pid=3

Thanks for any help
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

Finally found a forum that had previously answered my question, short answer is yes you can have your converter with its charger and an external charger connected to the batteries at same time and it works fine.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

In case this helps someone else in the future.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

Crabber50 - I'm just curious what you are looking at for a charger? They do manufacturer Inverter/Chargers as well. I just purchased one that I plan on installing this Spring. The more I research, the more it looks like I'll be removing the converter from my load panel and no longer be using the converter. Still not done doing my research though so I'm ever curious as to what folks are doing. Thanks

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Big Sky, have decided to use a small pure sine wave inverter just for the TV (Wagner 400watt), charging electronics etc. And a dedicated charger close to the batteries, will likely go with the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074JVO0A/...I3FEKTQQXBRB9J Really want to have the 14.8 volt bulk charging, Equalization etc. Have learned that you can just turn the existing converter off using the breaker for it on the panel and keep it as a spare in case something goes wrong with the IOTA. Could also unplug the IOTA and use the existing if I wanted to avoid 14.8 volts for a period of time as the existing converter only puts out 13.6 max. Plan to install an outlet near the IOTA that will connect back to shore power, that way I can unplug it and have it plugged directly into the generator.

Decided to got this way for simplicity and cost. Will likely do only a small amount of dry camping right now but if we start boon docking could easily update the system. But this way I should be able to get a good quick charge when I need it and maintain the batteries as well.

Good luck, it can be a challenge designing these systems!

Crabber50
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Big Sky,

How and where did you install your 4 batteries?
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabber50 View Post
"How and where did you install your 4 batteries?"
I am lucky to have a welding shop near us that does great work and for a very reasonable price. He built us a customer battery tray out of angle iron that rests on top of the tongue just above the old stock battery tray, in-between the propane tanks and the diamond plate on the rocker panel on the front of the TT. The batteries are turned 90 degrees so that they all fit nice and snugly next to each other and then he affixed a D-ring on each side and we use a standard ratchet strap to hold the batteries in place using standard plastic battery boxes. I was shocked when I asked what I owed and he told me $10, I gave him $20 and told him I'd be sending folks his way.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.... Have learned that you can just turn the existing converter off using the breaker for it on the panel and keep it as a spare in case something goes wrong with the IOTA.....snip
I left my original 2-stage IOTA converter/charger in place (mounted to back of the Load Center) as well when I installed my new 4-stage Progressive Dynamics unit (PD9245). When I contacted IOTA before making the up-grade they told me that I couldn't just turn the converter/charger breaker off because it would effect the operation of the Load Center breaker panel..., so I just pulled the IOTA wiring and landed the PD9245 wiring in it's place at the breaker.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Really want to have the 14.8 volt bulk charging, Equalization etc.
Everything I've read talks about the inability of most chargers to be set to charge of up to the desired maximum of 14.8 volts. 14.8 volts is what is needed to fully charge a 12-volt battery. This is why my automotive charger just doesn't cut the mustard and we are installing the inverter/charger with the ability to set that max high to 14.8.

You may want to call IOTA before you buy to confirm the ability to bulk charge at 14.8. When I clicked on your link, the PDF for the IQ4 talks about allowing a 12-volt charger to reach 14.8 volts during the bulk stage but not specifically the DLS-55. When I read the owners manual or any of the spec sheets for the DLS-55 the maximum voltage is 13.6 volts. Maybe I'm just reading it all wrong, but if I were you, I'd call and confirm before you spend your hard earned money. It would not be fun to find out after the fact that you can't reach your 14.8 volt goal. Here is the owner's manual link I looked at:

http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dlsmanl.pdf#search="dls-55 charges up to 14.8 volts?"

Please let me know if I was off base. Thanks

2005 GMC YukonXL Denali