Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Add a Charger, keep the Converter?

Hello all!

This is my first post. We just bought a 2014 White Hawk 24RKS and we are getting it ready for camping and a trip to Alaska in June. Have two 6v golf cart batteries and Led lights in already. I noticed the small gauge wire and location of the converter and thought I might have a problem. Only reason I knew is I just update the house batteries on my boat and the stock wire is 0/x big around as my index finger and all the runs are short. So I have been reading all about upgrading the wire and charger here.

Question is, if I add a charger and inverter in my front pass through storage and a surge suppressor and transfer switch in the back (near the stock converter) do I have to do anything about the stock converters charger? If the TT is on shore power, then the new charger will be going strong, what will the Converter be doing? Can I connect the converters current 12v input and the inverter to the same junction block as the new charger?

Thanks in advance, I have really enjoyed lurking here the last few weeks and reading all I can.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
crabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #2

My first thought is why are you adding a charger? I would not allow the charger and the converter to be connected to the battery bank at the same time.

The details are sketchy but the inverter should be connected as close to the battery bank as you can get.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

Question Charger and existing converter connections

Hi Chuck,

My concern is the WFCO WF-8735P converter is way to far from the batteries about 30' with too light a gauge wire to the batteries. I am comfortable installing a new charger just not sure if I can still use the power center in the existing converter or how it fits or doesn't fit in if I add a charger. Been following this plan http://www.kissmygrits.net/factory-r...ocking-part-2/ Kyle's description of the issue is exactly like mine other then the existing equipment he has is different. His solution works for me, just not sure what to do not do with the existing converter.

Guys that add solar must deal with this issue as well?

This is my Converter/Power Center
http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Po...?ptype=3&pid=3

Thanks for any help
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

Finally found a forum that had previously answered my question, short answer is yes you can have your converter with its charger and an external charger connected to the batteries at same time and it works fine.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

In case this helps someone else in the future.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

Crabber50 - I'm just curious what you are looking at for a charger? They do manufacturer Inverter/Chargers as well. I just purchased one that I plan on installing this Spring. The more I research, the more it looks like I'll be removing the converter from my load panel and no longer be using the converter. Still not done doing my research though so I'm ever curious as to what folks are doing. Thanks

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Big Sky, have decided to use a small pure sine wave inverter just for the TV (Wagner 400watt), charging electronics etc. And a dedicated charger close to the batteries, will likely go with the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074JVO0A/...I3FEKTQQXBRB9J Really want to have the 14.8 volt bulk charging, Equalization etc. Have learned that you can just turn the existing converter off using the breaker for it on the panel and keep it as a spare in case something goes wrong with the IOTA. Could also unplug the IOTA and use the existing if I wanted to avoid 14.8 volts for a period of time as the existing converter only puts out 13.6 max. Plan to install an outlet near the IOTA that will connect back to shore power, that way I can unplug it and have it plugged directly into the generator.

Decided to got this way for simplicity and cost. Will likely do only a small amount of dry camping right now but if we start boon docking could easily update the system. But this way I should be able to get a good quick charge when I need it and maintain the batteries as well.

Good luck, it can be a challenge designing these systems!

Crabber50
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Big Sky,

How and where did you install your 4 batteries?
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabber50 View Post
"How and where did you install your 4 batteries?"
I am lucky to have a welding shop near us that does great work and for a very reasonable price. He built us a customer battery tray out of angle iron that rests on top of the tongue just above the old stock battery tray, in-between the propane tanks and the diamond plate on the rocker panel on the front of the TT. The batteries are turned 90 degrees so that they all fit nice and snugly next to each other and then he affixed a D-ring on each side and we use a standard ratchet strap to hold the batteries in place using standard plastic battery boxes. I was shocked when I asked what I owed and he told me $10, I gave him $20 and told him I'd be sending folks his way.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Cummins generator
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.... Have learned that you can just turn the existing converter off using the breaker for it on the panel and keep it as a spare in case something goes wrong with the IOTA.....snip
I left my original 2-stage IOTA converter/charger in place (mounted to back of the Load Center) as well when I installed my new 4-stage Progressive Dynamics unit (PD9245). When I contacted IOTA before making the up-grade they told me that I couldn't just turn the converter/charger breaker off because it would effect the operation of the Load Center breaker panel..., so I just pulled the IOTA wiring and landed the PD9245 wiring in it's place at the breaker.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Really want to have the 14.8 volt bulk charging, Equalization etc.
Everything I've read talks about the inability of most chargers to be set to charge of up to the desired maximum of 14.8 volts. 14.8 volts is what is needed to fully charge a 12-volt battery. This is why my automotive charger just doesn't cut the mustard and we are installing the inverter/charger with the ability to set that max high to 14.8.

You may want to call IOTA before you buy to confirm the ability to bulk charge at 14.8. When I clicked on your link, the PDF for the IQ4 talks about allowing a 12-volt charger to reach 14.8 volts during the bulk stage but not specifically the DLS-55. When I read the owners manual or any of the spec sheets for the DLS-55 the maximum voltage is 13.6 volts. Maybe I'm just reading it all wrong, but if I were you, I'd call and confirm before you spend your hard earned money. It would not be fun to find out after the fact that you can't reach your 14.8 volt goal. Here is the owner's manual link I looked at:

http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dlsmanl.pdf#search="dls-55 charges up to 14.8 volts?"

Please let me know if I was off base. Thanks

Cummins generator
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #11

I noticed in another members profile signature that he has a DLS-55, WIbadger. I would guess he could weigh in with some facts on how well the charger works.

Cummins generator
Old 02-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #12

Existing WFCO converter

snip...so I just pulled the IOTA wiring and landed the PD9245 wiring in it's place at the breaker....snip

Thank you for this feedback, I will check into this on the WFCO WF-8735-P, only glanced at the basic wire diagram in lid and it ~seems~ I could just turn it off, the converter on this is integrated into the panel so as you advised I will proceed with caution. This was an excellent catch, you may have saved me a ton of frustration.

Here is the simple diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO wire diagram.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	11633
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #13

IQ4 charging voltage

snip...When I read the owners manual or any of the spec sheets for the DLS-55 the maximum voltage is 13.6 volts...snip

Big Sky,

The IOTA with out IQ4 puts out 13.6, you can get IQ4 integrated or as an add on. On to the base unit if you plug in its included dongle it jumps from 13.6 to 14.2, if you buy the add on module $25 it makes it a smart charger that goes up to 14.8 volts. You can see this in the manual that you linked but they do not make it very clear, check under IQ4 and you will see the volts per cell. At this link it is all more clear http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm I plan on getting the basic unit with the add on module as it will give me more control, 13.6 continuous, 14.2 continuous (manually for limited periods), or intelligent which would be how it is normally connected. May be over thinking this but thought if I have any devices that are sensitive to 14.8 volts being able to set the voltage myself may be helpful.

BTW just saw the pictures of your battery install, that is perfect! Next time in Montana I will give your guy a visit!
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
I noticed in another members profile signature that he has a DLS-55, WIbadger. I would guess he could weigh in with some facts on how well the charger works.
Yes, I installed an IOTA DLS-55 with internal IQ4 (purchased thru bestconverter.com). As described by Crabber50, the DLS-55 comes in a couple of different flavors.

The first choice is whether you want a unit that has an external dual voltage jack vs a unit without such a jack. If you opt for the external dual voltage jack unit (IOTA lists this as "DLS-55 (55-amp power converter)"), it comes included with a dual voltage plug (don't confuse this with the external IQ4 plug; they are two different types of plugs). If you don't use the included plug, the unit is a two-stage charger that puts out a max of 13.6V. If you use the included plug, the unit is a two-stage charger that puts out a max of 14.2V, which can be convenient for occasional fast charging. As an extra accessory, you can purchase an external IQ4 plug, which plugs into the same external dual voltage plug. If the external IQ4 plug is employed, the unit becomes a three-stage smart charger, which provides longer and safer use of your batteries.

The second choice is to opt for a unit that has the internal IQ4 (ie, a three-stage smart charger built into the unit) (IOTA lists this as "DLS-55 (55-amp power converter w/IQ4)"). On my unit, there are no external voltage jacks, but if these units have one, the jack will be disabled.

As to which unit to purchase, it all depends upon your anticipated use/needs. A person such as Crabber50 finds it useful to have the ability to switch between a two-stage charger (13.6V or 14.2V) and a three-stage charger (with the external IQ4). I, on the other hand, didn't care for a two-stage charger option, so I opted for the built-in IQ4. (IMHO, it's better to employ a three-stage charger for RV use since it does a better job of properly re-charging batteries). Alternatively, if your TT currently has an IOTA converter w/external dual voltage jack, the purchase of the external IQ4 plug will suffice.

Another issue to consider regarding the IQ4 external vs internal choice is whether you want the ability to monitor the LED indicator light (the LED blinks to indicate which charge mode the DLS unit is currently in (Boost, Absorption, or Float.)). For units with the internal IQ4, the LED indicator lights are affixed to one side of the unit. Depending upon the location of the converter and its mounting orientation, visible access to the LED lights may be obstructed. The external option allows you to monitor the LED indicator light away from the unit. Although seeing the LED status is “cool,” the best solution if you want to do remote monitoring is with a volt meter. Seeing the voltage is more informative than simply seeing if the LED is blinking or not. (I monitor my voltage via a Trimetric battery monitor).

IOTA provides the following specs for units with the IQ4 (external or internal) for 12V battery voltage:

14.8V = Bulk (2.46 VPC)
14.2V = Absorption (2.36 VPC)
13.6V = Float (2.26 VPC)
12.8V = Low trigger
14.6V = High trigger
15.2V = Over voltage fault.

See http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/IQ4manual.pdf for details.

I won’t start a flame as to whether the IOTA is better than the Progressive or vice versa. Do a search on rvnet and elsewhere for various opinions. Whichever way you go, know the specifications of your batteries and match with the converter specifications. It is not true to state that
Quote:
14.8 volts is what is needed to fully charge a 12-volt battery.
It all depends upon the specific battery specifications.

For example, I have Interstate GC2-XHD golf cart batteries and the Interstate charging recommendations for these batteries are:

Bulk @ 14.46 (2.41 VPC);
Absorption @ 15.3 (2.55 VPC); and
Float @ 13.4 (2.23 VPC).

Compare these recommended charging specs to those of the IOTA.

Regardless of which converter you choose, your batteries will never see anything above 13V if (a) you have a relatively long circuit and (b) you don’t change the 8AWG wiring that is normally used. The problem: voltage drop. If you don’t address this issue, you won’t be taking advantage of the charging capabilities for these smart chargers. I swapped out the 8AWG for 4AWG, resulting in less than a 2% voltage drop.

Finally, after three years of use, I have had no problems with my DLS-55. It (quickly) re-charges my batteries to 100% state of charge based upon the reading from the Trimetric monitor.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #15

WIBadger,

Thanks for your excellent post, very helpful. did you run 4AWG all the way to the back of the TT and mount the IOTA back there or did you put the IOTA in the front of the TT?

Thinking of installing it in the front either in pass through or under bed. Using 4AWG and leaving the 8AWG going back to the power panel. Will find a way to disconnect the current converter. Likely have to run a dedicated 120v circuit. So either way I am running something.

Thoughts?
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Next time in Montana I will give your guy a visit!
Absolutely, please do. Cold beer always available! :-)

Cummins generator
Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #17

Crabber - This is what I did with my setup. I left my WFCO 8900series Power Distribution Center and WF8945 Converter/charger in place. Then I added the new PD9260C 60AMP Converter/charger and mounted it within 5-feet of my main battery switch. I did upgrade all the wiring associated with the battery bank to 4AWG ANCOR BRAND battery cables and ANCOR brand ring terminals...

I installed a new 120VAC Breaker just for the PD9260C Converter/charger which allows me to use either the WF8945 or PD9260C converter chargers by just turning on the one I wish to use.

The reason I added the PD9260C was to insure I could go to SMART MODE Charging as the WF8945 unit would not ever go into smart mode charging for me. I also needed at least 20 amps of DC current for each of my three GP24 batteries to insure I could re-charge the battery bank to at least a 90% charge state in a quick three hour battery charge period.

Works great for me. In my diagram I am only using the three each Interstate GP24 Batteries (255AHs capacity).. When my 14.4VDC coming from the PD9260C hits the battery bank my DC current jumps up to around 52-53AMPS DC for about 15 minutes and then starts tapering back. It gets to around 8AMPS DC current by the end of a two hour charge run and then the PD9260C drops back to 13.6VDC. The DC current then drops to around 6AMPS DC and continues for another hour and this completes my smart mode 90% charge state for my three GP24 Interstate batteries.

Been using this setup for over five years now mostly camping off the power grid... My key to success is to keep a close monitor on the battery bank DC VOLTAGE level and I have planned out for the day/night run off of the batteries to drop to 12.0VDC around 8AM each morning when I start up my battery bank re-charge bu connecting my shore power cable to my 2KW Generator 120VAC Receptacle using a RV30A-15A long "dogbone" adapter. Doing this allows my on-board PD9260C converter/charger unit re-charge my batteries during a three hour generator run time.

This usually fits into the camp ground generator run time restrictions being allowed to run a generator here on the East side of the US for a couple of hours in the morning and maybe three hours in early evening. I always get my batteries up to their 90% charge state before using them again for the next day/night run fro the batteries. I can do these 50% to 90% charge state cycles for 12-14 times before I usually do a full 100% charge state. Since most camp grounds on the East side will not allow the generator to run this long continuous this is usually when we head for the house and get my 100% charge state done from home. Watching my DC Monitor Panel keeps my batteries performing at their best. They are going on six years now of lots of charge cycles...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #18

Roy,

Your diagram and explanation are a great help to me. My current plans and intended use are the same as yours. We have a Honda 2KW, right now 232AH (2 X 6v), can add capacity if we end up needing to. A couple questions to clarify.

Did you make any changes to the way the WF8945 Converter or panel was wired or did you just turn the existing converter breaker off?

Where did you mount your new charger? Currently we have no battery shut off switch so will add them as well as fuses.

Just wondering how far it is from your new converter/charger to the panel and how far from the converter/charger to the batteries.

You used great products I will follow your lead on the Anchor and Blue Sea

Thanks for your help
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #19

Crabber50 -- Roy has provided excellent, detailed info for your situation (one of these days I'm going to learn how to insert pretty graphics/pics!). One minor point that I'll add pertains to the proper sizing of your converter/charger. In general, it's best to have a charger that is about 25% of your battery bank AH.

In post #15 you asked if I ran "4AWG all the way to the back of the TT and mount the IOTA back there or did you put the IOTA in the front of the TT?"

In my Eagle, the power panel is about 15ft downstream from the (front) battery bank. My DLS-55 is mounted behind the power panel. I ran 4AWG from the battery bank to the DLS-55, then to the power panel, and then back to the battery bank (ie, 4AWG for the entire 30ft circuit). Unlike Roy and Bob (Rustic Eagle), I removed my OEM converter b/c it failed.

You can put your converter/charger anywhere you want. You just need to ensure that you have the proper AWG wiring in regards to the length of the circuit to avoid voltage drop going to your battery bank. However, you will want your inverter as close as possible to your battery bank, having properly sized AWG wiring between the inverter and the battery bank.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #20

WIBadger,

With the panel in the back the cable run from the batteries to the panel is about 30'. So thinking I should run 10ga 120 volt circuit to the front pass through and mount the charger there and have a 6' run of 4ga from charger to battery. I would just leave the existing 8ga from batteries to back panel.

Otherwise to limit voltage drop to 2.5% I would have to use 1/0! Not sure of the cost and practicality of that? I have A/C in the pass through now but it part of the GFCI network of outlets and I doubt it would carry a 55amp charger?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for all of your help!
Blue Ox Sway Pro