Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Added battery to 29MV

Finally got around to completing a battery project I started last year. The wimpy OEM battery just doesn't cut it. Replaced my OEM battery with a 100 AH AGM and added another one to the compartment just aft of the original battery tray. Put a piece of plywood on the floor of the compartment to distribute the weight, put in a battery tray, ran a 100% threaded steel rod through the floor of the MH through the bottom of the compartment to beef up the compartment, ran #2 wire through some waterproof fittings, ran this wire into the front of the existing battery tray, and vented the battery with a piece of 3mm/4mm flex hose. I'm currently in the middle of testing battery life down to 12.00 volts using the Amazon monitor recommended by Mustang. Currently looking very much like I'll get a full 100 AH of battery use out of these batteries. I'll know more in a couple of years of use as to whether they'll hold up.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Right on for you hoppers4. We would all love to see some pictures if you have them.
RobieMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

Battery install pics

Aft compartment with new battery. Steel rod can be seen on the left in background. Vent is that small hose in the front attached to the battery vent. Shimmed battery all around to ensure it wouldn't slide around and wear a hole in the bottom of the battery. The strapping still permitted it to slide around.

Cable through compartment wall with waterproof fittings.

Existing battery tray with cables around front.

Bottom of aft compartment showing steel support rod on bottom of tray.

Finished testing today and battery capacity is as good as or better than advertised. Ran 1300 watt hours before they dropped to under 12.00 volts. That translates to about 110 amp hours.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000586 (Small).JPG   P1000590 (Small).JPG   P1000591 (Small).JPG   P1000592 (Small).JPG  
Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Aft compartment with new battery. Steel rod can be seen on the left in background. Vent is that small hose in the front attached to the battery vent. Shimmed battery all around to ensure it wouldn't slide around and wear a hole in the bottom of the battery. The strapping still permitted it to slide around.

Cable through compartment wall with waterproof fittings.

Existing battery tray with cables around front.

Bottom of aft compartment showing steel support rod on bottom of tray.

Finished testing today and battery capacity is as good as or better than advertised. Ran 1300 watt hours before they dropped to under 12.00 volts. That translates to about 110 amp hours.
Great job Don! Let us know how you like those batteries. When my factory goes south I'm looking at going AGM also.
Attached Thumbnails
F30B5CE2-EA59-47E7-A171-200D443048C5.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Let us know how you like those batteries.
I'll let you know in a couple or three years how they hold up (sooner if they die a premature death). They were only $165 from Amazon so I'm sure they're Chinese batteries. Those Renogys look like a great way to go.

(Love the MVP)
Old 09-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #6

Don, I know this is an old thread, but how did you determine where the threaded bolts could connect through the top of the plastic compartment? Did you need to remove it first?

Steve
Sgarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarson View Post
Don, I know this is an old thread, but how did you determine where the threaded bolts could connect through the top of the plastic compartment? Did you need to remove it first?

Steve
Welcome to the site! Hopefully Don will get back with ya. His activity status showed he was active today, so at least he's around the forums somewhere. Happy trails!
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote