Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Adding a Television

We purchased a Jayco 19RD last fall and love it! The TV is located on the rear wall along with the radio/DVD player. Our TV antenna is at the very front of our unit, just in front of a wardrobe, between the wardrobe and entrance door, and at the foot of our bed.

We'd like to add a TV at the foot of the bed, hopefully attached to the side of the wardrobe. I'm pretty handy and understand cabling and signal splitting the powered antenna. What I'm wondering is whether I should try to run coax, and how to do it, or if a wifi connection from the DVD player and rear coax connector is possible.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. By the way, the unit is in storage 600 miles away so it would be difficult to answer any questions that require visual sightings for a reply. Thanks!!

Go go, Slo go, or No go? Go Go !!
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #2

I also own a 19RD (2015).

Spitting the antenna run at the base of the antenna will cause you grief. The signal booster is aft with the DVD player and factory TV.

If your DVD player will support a WI-Fi connection to a smart TV, I'd say that's your best bet. NO trying to cut into existing runs, trying to hide new wires, etc.

And you could dismount the smart TV and use it outside, if you want.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Mike! The land based HD antenna we have in our home has the signal preamp in the antenna head and the 12v supply located inside sends 12v over the same coax as tv signal to power the antenna preamp. I had to use a splitter that passes the 12v on the antenna side but not the 2nd TV leg. Not being near the unit, I assumed our setup is the same. Need to check that out.

You're right on about the wire routing and was hoping somebody had tried this on the Forum. Is the wardrobe side solid plywood? The TV we have is incredibly light. I installed a small blue ray player that easily fits on the shelf above the radio. Worst case we could just move it to the bed area when we need it and keep the antenna use in the rear only. Sure would make movie watching more comfy reclining in bed. Tough to watch a movie on that jackkjfe sofa.

Done any mods? I’ve insulated the storage area, walled it off which also added bed support and put up clips on a storage wall for towing tools, etc. Also built a drop shelf by the main door to extend the kitchen counter which has been very useful.

Go go, Slo go, or No go? Go Go !!
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote