Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
^^ I've used these types of electrical boxes as well, and plan to use the same when I install it in the seat box by the table. My concern now is how I will get the ROMEX wiring you mention from this location to the power distribution panel. It's located towards the front bonk (my camber is a hybrid). So, getting to it would require me running the wire along the right wall (cabinet, then shower/bathroom). This may not be a possibility. Here's a pic of my layout:

So, the outlet I want to add would be to the left or right of the "dinette" table (planned to place it at the right side foot well area, as there is an existing outlet along the wall of the "front bed" lower wall I was going to tap into). If I would be required to run it to the power distribution panel, thats located at the floor area of the "rear bed" area.

I've found "Wirecon" type outlets, an easy self contained way to install the electrical outlet itself, but now my problem seems to be if I can "tap" off an existing outlet easily without the use of a junction box.
Is it assumed that all existing 120 VAC outlets are protected off of the one breaker I have?
Yes, running to the existing outlet is doable as there should be a place to snap in another ROMEX wire. I did the same thing over 8,000 miles ago and it's still snug.

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Team

One thing I found, if a receptacle is at the end and there is no double wire provisions, you may have to use a conventional residential outlet. I tried to reuse one and it usually is no good after the wires are removed.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #13

If you choose to go on the left hand side you should be able to look behind the Furnace and see the wires for the AC-frig & your front outlet going back to your power box. Look at the rear of the bathroom cabinet, you might just see those wires. If not then there under the cabinet bottom shelf and that's about 3 1/2" off the floor. If you don't want to pull that up just run it to the rear of the cabinet. Your shower pan should have an access panel to get into and there should be an opening from left side of the shower pan to the rear wall space. There should also be plumbing pipes in there as well. In order to set the shower pan they need an opening to connect the drain.
Listen what Norty1 said, yours could be the same
Old 12-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #14

View from under my shower pan.
My wires (and yours) are bundled together in that black ribbed tube that you see in the center/rear of the pic. That wall that you see is the rear wall just like yours, it's at the rear of your shower pan. Those wires are going to the 30 AMP box just like you have.
Notice the artistic cut in the linoleum done by the Jayco craftsmen !!! What a great place for water to enter the subfloor. 1 small leak from that elbow and that floor is toast. That fitting is just hand tight so check it every now and then because I bet your floor looks just like mine. Look in every nook and crannie and if you can't see it put your phone back in there and snap a pic. And why did they make that cut you ask? Well there wasn't enough room under there for the elbow so they cut the floor out so the pipe would fit. That's right " they cut the floor out" and if you look from under neath the trailer you can look up and see that pipe.
Thank you Jayco you did a great job.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #15

From the power distribution center, drill a hole through the floor. In the corner of the under seat bench, drill another hole. Crawl under the camper with a length of wire, some split loom and some single hole straps and connect the dots. Easy-peasy!
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoecam View Post
From the power distribution center, drill a hole through the floor. In the corner of the under seat bench, drill another hole. Crawl under the camper with a length of wire, some split loom and some single hole straps and connect the dots. Easy-peasy!
I will try to avoid this, as I'd prefer not to drill holes in my floor to run wires; this would add to potential moisture leaks (even if sealed good) or insects.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #17

You likely have several holes in the floor already... at the very least, for the water line from the tank to the pump. It wouldn't be my first choice either for the same reasons, but it is perfectly do-able...

gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote