Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Question AGM battery

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if a 2006 Jay Feather Sport 165 can use an AGM battery? I've read that they can be finicky about over charging but I don't know how to find out if my Iota converter can charge an AGM battery correctly without damaging it. I've heard that it is a 2 stage converter, so that leads me to believe that it cannot (I heard 3 stage is necessary for AGM). I don't know if this information is accurate.

I have a solar panel that has a 30a charge controller and it seems to have different charging stages (ie float when near full capacity) but I'm not sure if the Iota converter would cause any issues when plugged into AC power... Anyone know?

Also, are the AGMs worth it? Since my TT is stored 30miles away from home, it seems attractive to not worry about the maintenance and such. That being said, I'm ok with doing the periodic maintenance...just looking for some corners to cut since I'm short on time these days.

Thanks in advance!

2009 Toyota Tacoma DC Prerunner TRD
2006 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 165
Curt round bar WDH
95w Go Power! solar panel
https://wanderlusttrailerlove.blogspot.com
noserub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserub View Post
snip....... I don't know how to find out if my Iota converter can charge an AGM battery correctly without damaging it. I've heard that it is a 2 stage converter, so that leads me to believe that it cannot (I heard 3 stage is necessary for AGM). I don't know if this information is accurate.....snip
Your correct that your 2006 IOTA converter/charger is a 2-stage unit....., I replaced my 2005 IOTA 2-stage a couple of years ago for Progressive Dynamics 4-stage unit to optimize the performance/life of my (2) 6V Deep Cycle CG batteries.

I have to believe that to maximize the performance of an AGM battery a 3 or 4-stage converter/charger is a must, the 2-stage unit IMO will compromise the performance and life.

With some IOTA converter/chargers you can add a IQ4 Smart Charger that plugs into the existing IOTA, the IQ4 will make it a 3-stage unit.

JOF IQ4 reference thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...rter%2Fcharger

IQ4 Smart Charger: http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm

If your IOTA unit is mounted to the back of the Load Center (breaker/fuse panel) the IQ4 won't work (no plug-in port). If you have a remote free-standing IOTA unit then it has the required Dual Voltage plug-in port for the IQ4.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

Thanks Bob, glad I asked! I appreciate your help. My IOTA unit is mounted to the back of the load center I believe, so it sounds like the smart charger is not an option.

Approximately how much does it cost to have a new converter put in? That seems like a pretty major upgrade so I need to decide how long I see myself with the little trailer before I putting my calories into that type of a mod...but good to know about.

2009 Toyota Tacoma DC Prerunner TRD
2006 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 165
Curt round bar WDH
95w Go Power! solar panel
https://wanderlusttrailerlove.blogspot.com
noserub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I spent about $130 on my Progressive Dynamics 9245, installed it myself. I left my IOTA mounted to my Load Center as a backup (just disconnected the wiring), and mounted the PD unit on a cabinet shelf just above the Load Center.

The following thread was prior to installing the new PD unit, but there is a pic of my Load Center and the cabinet shelving above that I used. Basically landed the new PD wiring where I removed the IOTA wiring.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ssive+dynamics

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote