Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #1

AGM vs Lithium Question

Hi, we are still in the planning stage of which RV to buy for our retirement gift to ourselves. I want to mostly boondock as CG's are a turn off to us.
Seriously considering a HT Eagle.
We will rely a lot on solar, thinking of 3 100watt panels on the roof, one 100 or 200 watt suitcase panels to chase the sun with.
Thinking either two Battleborn 100AH if the budget allows or two 200AH 6 volt AGM's. Back up will be two Champion 2000 inverters.
QUESTION:
Will two 200AH 6 volt batteries give us the same battery usable power when kept to the 50% discharge as two Battleborn 100AH Lithiums?
Our major constant draw would be a either 12V or 110 Furrion Arctic compressor fridge. I also want to get a Victron Multiplus 2000 or 3000 inverter/converter to be able to make at least 1/2 of the outlets 110.
I also intend to put soft starts on the A.C.'s
That would be our starting solar platform and with time and additional money to keep updating and adding more panels, batteries as time go's on.
Thanks!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

Along with the lighter weight of lithium batteries, one big benefit is the ability to handle a depth of discharge greater than 50%.

200ah in a flooded battery bank = 100ah available
200ah in a lithium bank = >100ah available
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #3

Right, that's why I asked taking into consideration the difference in depth of charge health between Li and AGM's
Old 01-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

you're going to run your AC's off of batteries??
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

I have 455 watts of panels on my roof. 4 Trojan AGM 225ah 6V batteries. A Xantrex 1800w Inverter, all 110v Outlets connected to the inverter. I run my refrigerator on gas, never run the Air unless plugged in, didn’t even wire it in to the inverter. Have yet to have the need to take a generator with us. Batteries topped off by 9:00 in the morning on a sunny day, couple hours longer if overcast.

If you don’t want to be in a CG and want your AC to work, your going to need a generator. Your trailer is not big enough for the battery bank and number of solar panels to run Air.

I wouldn’t worry about the potable, max out your roof first. But IMO anything over 500w will not be needed. Your wiring in an HT will be 30 amp, which will support 500w of panels fine. Anything more than that and you have to rewire the trailer.

Also keep in mind you have to get up on the roof for maintenance and to clean the panels. That’s why I only have 455w, 2-170w and 1-115w so I can safely navigate up there. I could have gone to 510w but didn’t like the layout for getting around on the roof. Could have gone to 570w safely, but would have had to rewire.

My setup has been more than adequate for us. We can watch the TV in the evening, use a Keurig coffee pot in the morning. With the LED lighting in the rigs now you don’t even have to be that careful. Only thing we give up is the microwave and AC.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #6

Hello,

So to your question, Stingray is correct. It would actually take four (4) 200ah 6 volt batteries to equal the two 100ah Lithium batteries when talking about usable energy. Not a great set up in my opinion considering space, weight, cost. And not to mention you still have the possibility of damaging the batteries if you go past 50%.

We have a 200ah Lithium setup on our Class C. We LOVE it!!! Besides all the great things about the batteries (weight, charging time...) the best thing for me is I go camping and no longer worry about batteries when we camp.

Go with Lithium and don't look back.

Rob
Old 01-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
you're going to run your AC's off of batteries??
No, the soft start would be to help out the smaller gen(s) run the A.C.
AC's can be ran off Li's but it would take four to maybe give 4 or 6 hours of A.C.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobieMo View Post
Hello,

So to your question, Stingray is correct. It would actually take four (4) 200ah 6 volt batteries to equal the two 100ah Lithium batteries when talking about usable energy. Not a great set up in my opinion considering space, weight, cost. And not to mention you still have the possibility of damaging the batteries if you go past 50%.

We have a 200ah Lithium setup on our Class C. We LOVE it!!! Besides all the great things about the batteries (weight, charging time...) the best thing for me is I go camping and no longer worry about batteries when we camp.

Go with Lithium and don't look back.

Rob
Thanks Rob, you answered my question..thank you! I agree whole hearted that two Li's would be the best and would be my 1st choice. It's the extra $1,400 "possibly" might stand in the way.
I would love to start out with a Li right off and then maybe a year later add additional Li's