Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

Alarm After shutdown

When I took my 2008 Melbourne 29D for a short drive recently, when I shut down a few minutes later a sharp pierced alarm sounded. It was not the co2 or smoke detector but I couldn't find where it was coming from or why it sounded. Any ideas???
MikeMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #2

Only two things make a sharp alarm in our RV - the Smoke Detector on the roof and the propane/gas detector near the floor.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

LP detectors are usually mounted very low to the floor to detect LP leaks. But they do go bad and an '08 is probably expired anyway. I would look it over and find out its expiration date and probably replace it anyway.

Have someone due a test of the fire alarm and see if that is a problem, sound can do funny things. Clean and check the battery while you are at it, maybe replace it if it is near expiration date.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #4

I have a 29 D, and occasionally i need to "manual retract" the levelers or the alarm goes off. The alarm is attached to the leveler control panel--
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I have a 29 D, and occasionally i need to "manual retract" the levelers or the alarm goes off. The alarm is attached to the leveler control panel--
There is a micro switch on the jack “Home position “ you can adjust it to stop screaming after they are up.one or two minutes to do.
The Doghoues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

The propane alarm has a short life cycle. I can't recall, but I think they need to be replaced every couple years. There's a "best before" date sticker on the unit.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #7

My auto leveler control panel will alarm very similarly to the CO alarm (but quieter, more like when your batteries die) if I do not set the parking brake when I park. I thought the sound was the CO alarm for the longest time, and that control panel is literally right next to the CO alarm. I troubleshot it and came up with a dead end; the CO alarm is disconnected when I turn off the master 12V.

Purely by accident, I set the parking brake and the alarm stopped. Auto level doesn't like you parking without your brake engaged, and (at least on my rig) that system is connected to the chassis side 12V, not the house side.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #8

On my Alante, the jacks won't go down unless the park brake is set.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
On my Alante, the jacks won't go down unless the park brake is set.
Same.

But I thought it a little weird that my jack panel will alarm at all times if the brake is not set. Regardless whether I intend to lower the jacks. So like when I'm just parking the rig for a short time in a store parking lot, or in my driveway, or in storage, I have no intention of operating the jacks, and I often won't set the brake (notwithstanding I probably SHOULD be setting the brake every time, but that's just not a habit yet). The panel will sound an alarm that the brake needs to be deployed even with the panel "powered off".

If I did intend to deploy jacks, the panel would let me know I need to set the brake to proceed when I cycle it on. I find it unnecessary that the panel constantly monitor the state of my parking brake.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm