Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Exclamation ALERT - Coleman Mach 8 A/C Fan Failure

Everyone that has a Coleman Mach 8 Air Conditioner needs to inspect their outdoor fan blades! If you have a Part No.: “1472B504 or “1472C504” fan, read on.

A few weeks ago, while we were in Florida, I noticed one night that the bedroom A/C was noisier then usual. The next day, after the A/C had run a few minutes, it started making a terrible racket. I went on the roof and removed the A/C shroud and found the fan motor (the outside condenser fan) had broken loose from its isolation mounts. Closer examination revealed that the fan had failed at the root of one of the blades.

This caused the fan hub to bend, go out of shape, throwing the fan out of balance. This out-of-balance condition caused the motor mounts to fail.

Further examination of the fan revealed the beginning of cracks on the other fan blades:

I checked my other A/C unit and found the start of cracking on two of its fan blades, as shown above.

An internet search found several threads concerning these fan failures at these sites:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/rvp-...it-210236.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/plea...re-228386.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/rvp-...an-225536.html

Very little else was found for this problem, no recalls were found, and nothing was found on Coleman/Airxcel/RVP’s website.

Apparently, RVP made a fan blade change on the Mach 8 A/C’s in mid-2014 from a six-bladed fan (the original 1472A504 version) to a three-bladed fan (the 1472B504version) due to a noise problem. There was a design/manufacturing problem with the replacement part, and failures started to occur. The fan was redesigned and a new version was released (the “C” version) shortly followed by another change (the “D” version).

I contacted Airxcel/RVP and requested replacement fans and new fan motor isolation mounts for both of my A/C units. After a bit of static and mumbling, they agreed to send the replacement parts to me under warranty.

Upon receipt of the new 1472D504 fans, some of the modifications I noticed in the “D” release included:
1. Filleting of all the fan blade to hub joints. Whereas the B design fan blades met the hub at right angles, the D design fan blades have a curved radius at the joint that should greatly increase the joint strength. Even the thin edges of the blade now curve gently into the hub.
2. The bottom blade edge on the B design fans ended right at the bottom of the hub, on the D design fan blade the bottom edge of the fan blade ends a good distance above the bottom of the hub. This should provide significant additional resistance to cracking. The hub height appears to have been increased to make this change.
3. Significantly improvement in the stiffness of the entire blade assembly was noted also.

So, if you have a Coleman Mach 8 A/C manufactured between mid-2014 and mid-2015 you need to inspect or have your dealer inspect your A/C units to see which outdoor fan you have. Molded on the top of the fan hub is the part number. If it is “1472B504 or “1472C504” you or your dealer needs to contact RVP at (316)-832-4357 and request a 1472D504 replacement fan kit under warranty. Of course you’ll get the “we haven’t heard of this problem before” or “it’s not really that big of a problem” but be determined with them and get the replacement fan.

If you’ve had a fan fail, also request the isolation mount replacement kit. Due to the imbalance caused by a failed fan, the isolation mounts could be weakened or damaged.

While you’re up there checking you’re A/C unit, it is also the perfect time to check and clean your condenser coil. You’ll be amazed and how dirty they get. They’re easy to clean – spray with a good degreasing cleaner suitable for aluminum, let set for a short while, then flush through the coils from behind with a water hose, being careful not to use a strong stream of water that could bend the coil fins. If a lot of the fins are bent, carefully straighten them with a fin comb or a plastic knife. This little bit of maintenance will improve the operation of you’re A/C unit and extend its life.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

Yep. Had them replaced on both units under warranty.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Is there a quick way to tell if my Coleman is a Mach 8 (other than finding the paperwork that came with the trailer lol)? I've sold my 2014 264BH w/ a 15k a/c. I'd like to replace the blade before handing it over if necessary or at least let the buyer know it needs to be done. So far ours works great and is pretty quiet.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Site Team

The Mach 8 is the low profile model line.

Coleman Mach - Mach 8 Ultra-Low Profile AC Units for RVs | Airxcel
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #5

Thanks norty. Mine doesn't look like that...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

I have 2 of these units on my roof, but they were from 2013 manufacture date. Did you notice a noise reduction with the new fans? I would opt to buy just to lower to noise level as my fans sound like a 747 getting ready for take off when they both kick on.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I have 2 of these units on my roof, but they were from 2013 manufacture date. Did you notice a noise reduction with the new fans? I would opt to buy just to lower to noise level as my fans sound like a 747 getting ready for take off when they both kick on.
It won't change the outside noise level if that is what you are referring to. Since there are two separate fans the inside noise level will not be affected.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #8

It is my understanding, that if you A/C has the original six-bladed fan, the "A" version, the three bladed fan is quieter, how much I don't know.

The change to the three bladed fan was to address the noise problem.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

Outside noise is my issue. It is double, if not triple what the 2011 noise level was outside. Yes the inside is quieter, but at night around the campfire when my unit kicks in you can hear it 3 sites away. It sounds like a diesel truck in 1st gear revving up. It is clearly the cooling fan outside that makes this noise. It's bugged me since day one.

If memory serves me right it is 6 blades. Have to check it when I clean the roof and AC drains in a few weeks.

I am going to investigate this further and change one fan out to see if there is difference.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 04-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

The three blade does change much. In order to operate it has to move a large volume of air and that doesn't change , 6 blade or 3 blade.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

So there is a you tube video of one of these change outs and he recorded to noise before and after which resulted in 8db less at about 30 ft. He also showed the difference between before and after on the roof and it was noticeable enough that I think I am going to do it.

He went from 6 to 3 blade which is what I would be doing.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 04-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Site Team

That's about twice as quiet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Has anyone installed a Mach 8 Hush Kit from the The Perfect Casita web site?

Coleman-Mach is sending me a new fan blade. Hopefully that will help in reducing the noise from our Mach 8 A/C.

2 of the 3 bolts that hold the fan motor's isolators / spacers to the A/C bottom vibrated loose and came off. Coleman-Mach is also sending me new isolator packages as replacement.

Anyone who has replaced the fan motor's isolators / spacers have any tips or suggestions for getting the bolts inserted through the A/C holes from underneath the A/C?

Thanks in advance for any replies and help.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #14

You have to loosen the unit and raise it up, no other way that I know of.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You have to loosen the unit and raise it up, no other way that I know of.
Thanks Grumpy for the reply.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #16

Mach 8 Failure

I had not seen this post and in 97 degree heat in Utah I had a catisrophic failure as originally posted. The unit made a little noise and then the fan blade failed and broke the isolation mounts clean off the mount. I called numerous local RV repair shops and no luck. Submitted 2 requests to Airexcel and received no response. Contacted local rep and they were not able to even find the old part, they put me in touch with a Airexcel service that I had to fib a bit about my qualifications the get her to overnight the parts. $65.00 shipping for overnight. Very unsatisfactory customer service and I am having to stay an extra night on my dime. There should have been a recall on these fans. I'm having to do the repair also but I am qualified, what if it were an elderly couple who couldn't do the work, it would cost them a lot and time.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Big Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sam View Post
. Submitted 2 requests to Airexcel and received no response.
?????

I had two heatpump failures and both times AIR EXCEL was very responsive. When the first one failed they told me who their local service center was and to have the tech call when he arrived.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #18

Had blower wheel explode on our 2016 Jayco North Point at 3 am. Sounded like a tree hitting the roof.

https://imgur.com/a/iJBDP
cmykpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #19

blower wheel model # 47204A879

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmykpro View Post
Had blower wheel explode on our 2016 Jayco North Point at 3 am. Sounded like a tree hitting the roof.
https://imgur.com/a/iJBDP
I also have a 2016 Jayco North Point, model 311RKTS. Has two AC units, and the main units (model # 47204A879) blower wheel (model # 1472A1191) exploded this week similar to cmykpro's post. Mine only lost about a quarter of the wheel, which still caused it to be out of balance.

Called Airxcel Inc. and they said I would have to pay $32 plus shipping. This is obviously a design flaw or poor manufacturing.
Some things should not be made out of plastic . or . use a better / stronger type of plastic / carbon fiber material.

Called Airxcel before finding cmykpro's recent post with same issue. Could there be other instances of this or another thread regarding these blower wheel / fan cage failures ?
Jayco311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #20

They told me they would send out a new wheel free of charge under warranty. This was 2 weeks ago and still nothing.
cmykpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1472b504, 1472c504, coleman, fan failure, mach 8