Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

Amazon Echo Show in camper

So I have gotten the bug. Someone bought me a Echo Show 5 for Mothers day (Wife walked off 2 years ago so my friends are sweet as they see me being both mommy and daddy to my 3 children). I had it for months in my office and love the thing so I recently ordered that new 10 for my kitchen. By way, kick butt for someone that loves to cook. My kids get a kick out of talking to it.

So I was wondering has anyone put one in their camper. In my office, I got a smart plug to turn this light on and off on voice command. Plus when any of my staff walks in, "Alexa mute music" has been life changing ha.
New one happen to work with my cameras at my house. I know you don't always have internet at the campgrounds but I have a router in my camper so all our devices hook to it automatically then router hooks to either my Mifi or campground wifi. So my questions for people that may have done this before...

1.) If I do not have internet on the wifi? Will the thing still control a plug over the wifi from my router? Like a smart plug or thinking about having some cameras. For anyone with small kids, kids running around all around the camper I lose sight of them. It is just me being single dad. Trying to keep the kids especially my 3 year old in sight can be a task especially when trying to cook. 3 kids is like "herding cats"

2.) Do people find it worth wild thing to have in the camper?
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggins View Post
1.) If I do not have internet on the wifi? Will the thing still control a plug over the wifi from my router? Like a smart plug or thinking about having some cameras. For anyone with small kids, kids running around all around the camper I lose sight of them. It is just me being single dad. Trying to keep the kids especially my 3 year old in sight can be a task especially when trying to cook. 3 kids is like "herding cats"

2.) Do people find it worth wild thing to have in the camper?

I've brought one of our dozen Echo Dot's in ours. A FireStickTV comes along too.

I'm pretty doggone sure you must have Internet for anything to work. Alexa sends your voice back to the AWS servers for processing. I could be wrong, but I also do some Alexa Skills coding in my spare time and -- for those to work, you need Internet.

Having the Dot in the camper, frankly - not all that useful. Not as useful as having Alexa in the house. I've been thinking about writing some skills that would be specific for the camper.

But right now, having a constant Internet connection in our RV is the problem. Out here there are plenty of places to lose connectivity.

And - I gotta say "Thank you for stepping up and being a Dad for your kids." Sometimes calling someone "Dad" is the highest praise we can give.

You're a great Dad!
Old 06-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #3

I don't have one but daughter does, I think the voice control will not work w/o internet but that you can purchase a remote for the power plugs that will work w/o internet. ~CA

Good Luck with your children, I have a similar story although it was about 20 years ago.