Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Anode rod in an Atwood?

Good evening Folks!
I'm sorry if this topic has been covered. I did a search prior to this post but didn't see anything regarding my question.

Let me start by saying I realize that Atwood water heaters don't require anode rods because the tanks are aluminum . I also realize that Suburban water heaters use anode rods to deflect corrosive elements away from the steel tank to the expendable rod.

As I'm poking around online I see that companies like Camco actually make a rod for the Atwood aluminum heaters and that some folks use them.

Is there any benefit to using an anode rod in an aluminum tank? Is there a steel heater element inside the take thats prone to corrosion? I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here.

Thanks in advance
Jloco
Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

I don't think there is a benefit to a rod in an Atwood.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I don't think there is a benefit to a rod in an Atwood.
X2
Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

They just found a great way to separate you from your money... sell you something you don't need...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Thanks Folks.. I figured it was a gimmick.

I just wasn't sure if there were some components (heating element for example) within the Atwood aluminum tanks that would benefit from a rod.

I also read some posts online that the use of an anode rod in an Atwood may even void the warrantee.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Team

PT Barnim said it best. I like the quote in my sig. also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #7

Most anode rods are made of zinc. Zinc and aluminum are very close to each other in the galvanic series, so little if any protection would occur.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

I found this on the web as well.
Atwoods position on the topic:

WATER HEATER TANK CORROSION
Pinhole leaks from galvanic corrosion may cause the water heater tank to fail. Microscopic particles of metals (like iron and copper) suspended in water, set up a reaction inside the water heater that is not unlike the principle on which an automotive battery operates. The aluminum tank is the anode and the metals in the water serve as the cathode. Consequently, the aluminum gradually sacrifices itself and aluminum particles are carried away with the water flow.
A white scaly material (aluminum oxide) often is formed around the points where the heaviest action is taking place and heat accelerates the process. Severity of the problem varies considerably in different locales depending on the metal and mineral content of the water. White deposits inside the water heater tank are usually from water impurities that have settled out.
Periodic flushing of the water heater tank under pressure is recommended to slow down this process. For flushing instructions see your owners manual or contact Atwood for a copy of our recommended procedure.

ATWOOD CLAD TANK
The Atwood water heater tank is constructed of a core of high strength aluminum. The interior of the tank consists of a 15% thickness of type 7072 aluminum (pure aluminum and zinc) that is fused to the core during the rolling process.
This material protects the tank from the affects of heavy metals and salts found in waters throughout the country. It is anodic to these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined tank except it will last much longer. There is also no need to replace an anode on a yearly basis. Flushing the tank on a regular basis has been found to be helpful in insuring the best performance of your water hater and adding to the useful life of the tank. For flushing instructions see your owners manual or contact Atwood for a copy of our recommended procedures.

Use of an anode rod does in fact void the warranty. It's right in the brochure. I can't believe camco and others market such a thing. It makes me wonder what other bogus crap they're pushing. They even have the stones to the 'Atwood' name on the packaging.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg