Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Another Satellite Dish Connection Issue

Hi, I'm having a problem getting my dish network receiver to find my Carry-Out dome antenna. I used this same setup in my 2006 Designer many times. I have a new 2013 Pinnacle 38FLFS. When I connect the antenna to the Satellite connection on the rear of the 5th wheel and the receiver is connected to the correct satellite (A) disconnect jumper, connector and run the check switch program, my receiver finds nothing. If I run the RG-6 coax through the window and directly to the receiver, I get a SW-64 switch and all is good.

What I am trying to figure out, is there a problem with the wiring inside the trailer? Is it just inadequate for the needs of satellite or what? When I connect the campground cable to the same sat/cable connectors, it also works fine. Any suggestions? Maybe I just run a separate coax for the satellite receiver.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

I am going to walk out on a limb here and assume your camper is wired the same as mine. (Leave it to Jayco and Murphy to make things different).

The outside connector goes to the A connection. The B connection goes to the DC power/TV ant plate with the crank up antenna power button. Normally the jumper is between A and B to allow a cable to be connected outside.

To use a satellite you remove the jumper. Connect the "SAT" terminal on the receiver to A. Connect the TV connector on the receiver to B. Connect the satellite dish to the outside connector. The television connects to the DC power/TV ant plate with the crank up antenna power button. Leave the amp off (no green light).

The "SW-64 switch" has me at a loss.

Hope this helps.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Chuck:
Yep, sounds like the same set up that I have and I have it connected the same as you. The SW-64 (switch) is what should be showing up on my Dish Network, check switch, screen. I'm not getting it, as if it isn't seeing the domed antenna. However, when the antenna is connected directly to my receiver, a vip221k, it works fine, it finds the SW-64 and the 110 and 119 satellites. It's as if there is too much loss in the trailer coax.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #4

Just another suggestion. Check all of the cable connectors to make sure they were done correctly. Have read on another forum and the problem for a similar problem was one of the connectors was not crimped correctly. Fell off in his hand.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #5

Don:
Good idea, I'll check the connections. I guess, the next thing I will do also is try it from the rear bedroom input connection to the rear TV. It's a separate line, shorter distance.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #6

Well, I tried the connection to the rear tv and it works fine. Must be signal loss in the line to the front tv.