Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Any reason I can't plug my TT into an onboard inverter?

Background: I'm running two 6volt Interstate GC2-ECL-UTl batteries, with solar on the roof.

We occasionally stay at a nice campground with dumb rules: no generator before 10:00am. Wife wants coffee and blow dryer before 10:00am.

My question: any reason I can't take my 30 amp shore power plug and plug in to a 1500 watt inverter to power the ENTIRE COACH for awhile in the mornings? (I'm aware that blow dryers and coffee makers would need to take turns, as well as the microwave, AC not an option)

I would have the remainder of the day to recharge either by sun or generator.

Any potential pitfalls?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Sure you can as long you have enough battery capacity. I use a 3000 watt inverter, hooked up to 4 - 6 volt golf-kart batteries.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdude79 View Post
Any potential pitfalls?
I've only read a little bit about inverter installs. You might want to turn the converter/charger AC circuit off. I've heard it called a "death spiral" on a few posts when you're using the batteries to power the inverter, to power the converter/charger, to recharge the batteries.
rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

Using appliances that heat, which use a lot of wattage, will drain your battery rather quickly. Look at the amp hours on your battery and do the math, see how long you can power a 1500 watt appliance. It's always comes down to math.

Not being able to use generators is not uncommon, many only allow a few hours per day, out of respect to those around you.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #5

I think there would be too many inefficiencies, since the onboard converter converts 120 to 12 volt. So look at it this way: you're converting 12v to 120v with the INverter to run the plugs, then back to 12v in the CONverter to run the lights, pump, etc. Every time you convert from one to the other, you lose some power through inefficiencies, components heating up, etc.

I've never done it myself, but my elementary knowledge of electrical engineering leads me to believe this might be the case. Of course, YMMV.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Get a small percolator like the original campers used and make a pot on the gas stove.

We carry one to heat water and make a old time cup at times.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Team

If you look at my SOLAR album, you will see how I have my TT wired to use either shore-power/generator or inverter. ITs is the picture with the 2 4x4 electrical boxes in it. No chance of leaving the inverter on when Shore-power/generator is activated.

AS mentioned, the MAIN thing you need to remember is to shut-down the TT's battery charge controller. It will try to charge your batteries using the batteries. All you have to do is turn of that AC breaker. I added a new breaker (purchased at Lowes) to a spare slot because there was something else connected to the original breaker.

ALSO, turn off your thermostat so the AC does not kick on, or you may be replacing your inverter.

Do not get any ideas about installing an Automatic Transfer Switch (wired in reverse) because if for some reason you are in Shore-Power/Generator mode and the source power drops off activating your inverter while your AC is on, that could be a MAJOR issue for the inverter. There are ways around this, but would require additional AC wiring.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

Yes, you can; however, suggest turning off the converter's circuit breaker for reasons already mentioned.

Hope your wife can get by on the blow dryer's low power setting. Many blow dryers draw 1800+ watts on the high setting---that's 15+ amps at 120vac---a bit more than your 1,500 watt (12.5 amp) inverter can handle. The blow dryer's low setting will probably draw anywhere from 750 to 900 watts or 6-7 amps at 120 vac.

My guess is your 1,500 watt inverter will not have enough inrush capability to "start" your microwave--unless you happen to have a very small microwave.

All this is a go, assuming the cabling between your batteries and inverter is sufficiently large enough to handle these large DC current loads (100+ amps) without significant voltage drop. Doesn't take much DC voltage drop to trip the DC low voltage shut-off on a lot of inverters.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Best way is to run the inverter only on the circuits you need with 3 way switches. If you use a microwave it has a 13 amp draw, you can run the A/C (15 Amp) and it will run 3/4 hour on 4 golf-kart deep cycle batteries. Just do the figuring.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #10

Did not think about the charge controller! Glad I asked! I will report back after I get this put together and tested, though it may be awhile. Just ordered the inverter so I've got a few steps to get to on my weekends off before I can get it "field tested." Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdude79 View Post
Background: I'm running two 6volt Interstate GC2-ECL-UTl batteries, with solar on the roof.

We occasionally stay at a nice campground with dumb rules: no generator before 10:00am. Wife wants coffee and blow dryer before 10:00am.

My question: any reason I can't take my 30 amp shore power plug and plug in to a 1500 watt inverter to power the ENTIRE COACH for awhile in the mornings? (I'm aware that blow dryers and coffee makers would need to take turns, as well as the microwave, AC not an option)

I would have the remainder of the day to recharge either by sun or generator.

Any potential pitfalls?
What am I missing here? If he has 30 amp shore power, why can't he just plug the rig in direct with the power cord?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #12

X2?

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #13

Blow drying before gen hours in the morning does not in my world justify hammering my battery bank and requiring extended gen run time later just to bring it back to full charge. The coffee thing is easily solved. I have a mr coffee maker that has a water fill onboard [pretty typical] and an exposed filter/basket area when the top is opened to add water and or coffee grounds. Without having to actually turn the coffee maker on, I boil water in a pan on the stove top and then slowly pour the near boiling water onto the grounds [exposed by opening the top] and letting it drip thru the filter into the pot below. Viola you have fresh brewed coffee before generator hours with out electricity.

Unless you have a 4 or 6 bank of 6V batteries and a 2000w inverter, running anything like a microwave or other heavy draw device might work but will discharge batteries very quickly.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
What am I missing here? If he has 30 amp shore power, why can't he just plug the rig in direct with the power cord?
My message was a little unclear. I'm talking about when I DON'T have shore power, I would use my shore power LINE from the coach to plug in to the inverter. Sorry for the confusion...
Old 02-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #15

That's the beauty of camping, there's a hundred ways to do it. For me the simpler the better. I got too many complications with my house!
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #16

gas heat for the coffee

and how about one of these? My wife has one, not as good as AC dryers but also works in car if hair not dry before leaving in the AM.

https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-c...olt+hair+dryer
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
gas heat for the coffee

and how about one of these? My wife has one, not as good as AC dryers but also works in car if hair not dry before leaving in the AM.

https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-c...olt+hair+dryer
12VDC but where do you plug it in. The 12VDC accessory outlets are rated for less than 10Amps. This unit is 18Amps.

Found this in the product review.

votes

Question:
How many watts?

Answer:
Hi
Because the hair dryer is 12V power supply, so it is a small power hair dryer, its power is only 216W.
Thank you
By Ymkf Sqqr SELLER on September 16, 2017

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr View Post
You might want to turn the converter/charger AC circuit off. I've heard it called a "death spiral"
Ground loop. You can't power the charging section of the converter from the inverter. It will trip out most good inverters.

You would have to go with something considerably larger. I would also look for something of better quality than the offerings at Harbor Freight. If you are going to go through all of that time and expense, you may as well step up to a 2000 watt Magnum inverter charger, and look for a spot to mount two more 6 volt batteries. Do it right the first time and all that jazz.
fyrman is offline   Reply With Quote