Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #21

I may not understand what's being discussed here. It sounds like these strips are installed in front of the ac fan and their heat is distrbuted throughout the trailer via the ceiling duct. I can't see how this tad of warmth, up on the ceiling, would stay inside very long or do much good below the shoulders. But I'd like the idea of them in front of the furnace fan along with a switch allowing for a very low fan speed.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Learn something new every day, never knew they existed for RV A/C's.

Bob
U find them allot in popups. My Coleman popup had the combo. I prefered using a space heater, it was quieter.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #23

Instead of starting a new topic, thought I would bring this one back.

I like the heat strips as well, had one in our old Antigua and it got used quite often. So I'm thinking about adding one (or two) to the 5th. My camper isn't here at the moment so I hope that maybe someone here knows the answer. To get the heat strip to work off the thermostat, there needs to be another wire going from the thermostat to the A/C. Traditionally this wire would be white (or white with black stripe). Does anyone know of Jayco has run this wire which would make the addition of a heat strip some what easy?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
...Does anyone know of Jayco has run this wire which would make the addition of a heat strip some what easy?
I don't know if Jayco ran that wire (I doubt it since it would cost them more; someone else will have to chime in on that one), but if they didn't, you could steal one of the fan wires for that and just run the fan on one speed only. You would need to change out the existing thermostat for a heat pump thermostat and connect the reversing valve lead to the heat strip relay unless you plan on running the heat strip while running the furnace, in which case you could just hook up the wire running to the relay for the heat strip to the furnace terminal (I would install a heat pump thermostat to allow running the heat strip only but that is just my personal preference). If keeping the original thermostat or getting a heat punt thermostat with a two speed fan switch (like all the Colemans have), I would suggest putting a jumper across the two fan terminals so the fan will keep running if some "helpful" person decides to change fan speed. Being the anal old bi...broad that I am, I would change out the thermostat to one that had a single speed fan switch even if I was stealing a fan wire. Also, if getting a heat pump thermostat, make sure the reversing valve terminal is normally off when using the A/C (most are but there are a few oddballs out there).
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #25

Interesting idea on the fan wire, and one which is pretty easily done as well. My camper comes home tomorrow morning and I'll take some things apart to see if the wire is there. Hopefully they ran that wire, but since I don't see the heat strip as a Jayco option, I suspect that you may be correct. Why run wires for an option that isn't offered?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Learn something new every day, never knew they existed for RV A/C's. Bob
Couple links for ya Bob:

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/12/rv-ac-heat-strip

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-air-...eat-strip.html
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #27

The article is a little deceptive, you CAN add a heat strip to a ducted A/C. All that's needed is the element / control box and the proper thermostat, although you could likely modify your existing thermostat with a toggle switch. The heating element requires a wire from the thermostat to the control box. If that wire is not run already, then it'll either have to be run or sacrifice a fan wire as noted above.

I am planning on checking tomorrow my camper, but I am pretty sure that if the wire is not there in the bedroom, running the wire would be easy, basically by running a complete new set of wires using the original wires to pull the new set through the walls / ceiling. I don't know if this could be the case for the main A/C, but I suspect it could be.

We don't usually use out furnace, but sometimes the air is a bit brisk and we just need that little bit which is perfect for the heating elements to handle. At this point, it's an academic exercise just to see if / how it can be done.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #28

Quote:
...I am planning on checking tomorrow my camper, but I am pretty sure that if the wire is not there in the bedroom, running the wire would be easy, basically by running a complete new set of wires using the original wires to pull the new set through the walls / ceiling...
I've also thought of using the original t-stat cable to pull a new one through but I'm concerned that the wire may bind where it makes the bend to go into the hole in the framing at the top of the wall. If you actually tackle the project, I'm eager to see if using the old cable to pull the new one is actually feasible.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #29

Just a few comments on heat strips. I have used one in 2 different campers for 14 years. I camp all year long both in the hybrid I have not and the PU I use to have. I very rarely use the furnace. If I am paying for electric I might as well use it.

1. They do work. They put out 1500 btus, the same as a cube heater. The air is moving so fast over the heating element that the air does not feel very warm, but it does warm the air.

2. It is always in the camper.

3. Children and pets will not knock it over.

4. If you are in a hybrid or a popup it will circulate the air into the bunkend.

5. The "white noise" the fan produces is good for blocking out the noise of rowdy neighbors or a loud snorer.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #30

I completely agree with the benefits of the heat strip, I prefer the subtle gentle heating vs the harsh in your face that the furnace puts out on a chilly evening.

When I was investigating the installation of A/C #2, I found the thermostat wires in the wall and ceiling. They really seemed as though they were laying very loosely as I was able to gently tug on the ceiling portion and see the wall portion move freely.

Now when replacing wires this way, you need to be 1000% certain that they are fixed together securely since if the old and new wires separate in the wall that would NOT be very good. I am certainly going to check the wires tomorrow and will likely run the extra because I am psychotic that way! Even if I never put in a heat strip I will know that it is ready to be done easily and that's good enough for me, and most importantly we'll all know that it can be done and it's sure to benefit someone.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #31

I typically use a space heater and the a/c fan to circulate air. This makes me nervous because I am always afraid my dog will knock it over or someone will kick it over when they are walking around. I have looked into adding a heat strip but have always come to a dead end since my a/c is ducted. If anyone has installed or does install one in a ducted system can you post a quick tutorial? I am mechanically inclined, just need a little reassurance.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
...I have looked into adding a heat strip but have always come to a dead end since my a/c is ducted. If anyone has installed or does install one in a ducted system can you post a quick tutorial? I am mechanically inclined, just need a little reassurance.
Sadly, you can't install a heat strip in a ducted A/C.

An option, albiet rather expensive ($1500 installed, give or take), would be to install a Cheap Heat system. This is basically a heating coil that installs between the furnace and the duct plenum. They now also have a standalone system with it's own fan that connects directly into your furnace ductwork if there isn't room at the furnace. The only thing you see is a switch that switches between gas and electric. Everything else is controlled by the existing thermostat. Depending on the size of your service (30A or 50A) and how cold it gets where you park, you could easily use it instead of the furnace at all times.

Another option, also expensive, is to replace the A/C with heat pumps. Since it is so expensive, I would suggest waiting until the A/C fails before going this route unless the A/C is new enough you might be able to recoup enough of the expense of the change out to make it practical (I would sell the A/C while still on the roof first, then get the heat pump). Heat pumps are more efficient than resistance heating down to around 30-45 degrees (depending on brand and who you are asking); Coleman heat pumps, same brand as the A/Cs used by Jayco, seem to perform best. Heat pumps will perform much better than heat strips.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #33

From my research I am 99% sure that heat strips CAN be installed in a ducted system.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #34

Had a chance to take things apart today. There is no wire for the heat strip, so to add one a new wire would need to be added to power the strip. When I opened up the bedroom A/C, there's a tag on where to add the heat strip. So to do the job, you'll need the heat strip kit (complete with new control panel) an extra wire (or wire set) and thermostat which is heat strip ready.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #35

Quote:
From my research I am 99% sure that heat strips CAN be installed in a ducted system.
Can you provide some links to support that? I'm not trying to be antagonistic. It's just that my research has pointed to the opposite and if it is wrong, I would like thgat clarified. I just now looked at a parts catalogue from Affinity RV in Prescott, AZ and they have several pages of listings for Coleman A/Cs and the only heat strips they list are for nonducted units only. You can look for yourself here. The link takes you to the first page and you can to click the following in the blue (purple? I'm color blind) bar near the top of the page.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #36

I can. Here's the RVP ChillGrill information. ChillGrill is only for ducted A/C an excerpt from the page:

Quote:
Model 8330-6331 is designed for use with all 8000 Series Coleman®-Mach® air conditioners with lateral duct and straight-through duct systems. Model 8330-6331 is completely compatible with electric return air plenum heaters.
Here's the installation manual to install the A/C with the optional heat Figure 2 shows the heat strip, and the white wire I was asking about.

Page 3 of that manual states that
Quote:
The 8330 series ceiling assemblies will mount to and operate all 48200 or 49200 series roof top air conditioners.
Then looking on the first page:

Quote:
8330*633* COOL ONLY A/C
8330*635* HEAT READY A/C
8530*63** HEAT PUMP
The A/C's in our campers are 48200 series.

And finally, the parts list for the 8330-635 which is (one) of the part numbers which can be used for the heat strip, I believe that there are others which wouldn't include the chill grill.

Not to forget of course that the proper thermostat needs to be included with the elec. heat option to work the heat strip.

So that's why I say that I am 99% certain that we can have heat strips.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #37

I am pretty sure this is just the heat strip portion and would probably be all you need if you already have the chill grill. Of course that wire and the thermostat.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #38

Just found on another forum someone who did just this In the posts it kind of explains that these parts are available but not listed on websites. I believe that the challenge is not the installation of the heat strip, but that extra wire (to do it properly)
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #39

Very interesting information. I am going to have to go out to my storage facility, drop the return air grill, and get my model/serial number. I think I'll call Airxcel with the information and see if it's possible and what part numbers I need if it is. I already have a Hunter digital thermostat set to the low fan setting only, so if needed I can use the high fan wire as the control wire. I just hope that the control box is up there. I will report back what I find.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #40

I think that the biggest issue is going to be that extra wire. I am going to try to run a wire for this just to know that I can. When my second A/C was installed, the Chill Grill was not installed and I think that I want it. If I go that route, I will get the heat strip version and run the wire. Then decide what to do with the main A/C