Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #31

I typically use a space heater and the a/c fan to circulate air. This makes me nervous because I am always afraid my dog will knock it over or someone will kick it over when they are walking around. I have looked into adding a heat strip but have always come to a dead end since my a/c is ducted. If anyone has installed or does install one in a ducted system can you post a quick tutorial? I am mechanically inclined, just need a little reassurance.

dmax_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
...I have looked into adding a heat strip but have always come to a dead end since my a/c is ducted. If anyone has installed or does install one in a ducted system can you post a quick tutorial? I am mechanically inclined, just need a little reassurance.
Sadly, you can't install a heat strip in a ducted A/C.

An option, albiet rather expensive ($1500 installed, give or take), would be to install a Cheap Heat system. This is basically a heating coil that installs between the furnace and the duct plenum. They now also have a standalone system with it's own fan that connects directly into your furnace ductwork if there isn't room at the furnace. The only thing you see is a switch that switches between gas and electric. Everything else is controlled by the existing thermostat. Depending on the size of your service (30A or 50A) and how cold it gets where you park, you could easily use it instead of the furnace at all times.

Another option, also expensive, is to replace the A/C with heat pumps. Since it is so expensive, I would suggest waiting until the A/C fails before going this route unless the A/C is new enough you might be able to recoup enough of the expense of the change out to make it practical (I would sell the A/C while still on the roof first, then get the heat pump). Heat pumps are more efficient than resistance heating down to around 30-45 degrees (depending on brand and who you are asking); Coleman heat pumps, same brand as the A/Cs used by Jayco, seem to perform best. Heat pumps will perform much better than heat strips.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #33

From my research I am 99% sure that heat strips CAN be installed in a ducted system.
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #34

Had a chance to take things apart today. There is no wire for the heat strip, so to add one a new wire would need to be added to power the strip. When I opened up the bedroom A/C, there's a tag on where to add the heat strip. So to do the job, you'll need the heat strip kit (complete with new control panel) an extra wire (or wire set) and thermostat which is heat strip ready.
Streamline your A/C
Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
From my research I am 99% sure that heat strips CAN be installed in a ducted system.
Can you provide some links to support that? I'm not trying to be antagonistic. It's just that my research has pointed to the opposite and if it is wrong, I would like thgat clarified. I just now looked at a parts catalogue from Affinity RV in Prescott, AZ and they have several pages of listings for Coleman A/Cs and the only heat strips they list are for nonducted units only. You can look for yourself here. The link takes you to the first page and you can to click the following in the blue (purple? I'm color blind) bar near the top of the page.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #36

I can. Here's the RVP ChillGrill information. ChillGrill is only for ducted A/C an excerpt from the page:

Quote:
Model 8330-6331 is designed for use with all 8000 Series Coleman®-Mach® air conditioners with lateral duct and straight-through duct systems. Model 8330-6331 is completely compatible with electric return air plenum heaters.
Here's the installation manual to install the A/C with the optional heat Figure 2 shows the heat strip, and the white wire I was asking about.

Page 3 of that manual states that
Quote:
The 8330 series ceiling assemblies will mount to and operate all 48200 or 49200 series roof top air conditioners.
Then looking on the first page:

Quote:
8330*633* COOL ONLY A/C
8330*635* HEAT READY A/C
8530*63** HEAT PUMP
The A/C's in our campers are 48200 series.

And finally, the parts list for the 8330-635 which is (one) of the part numbers which can be used for the heat strip, I believe that there are others which wouldn't include the chill grill.

Not to forget of course that the proper thermostat needs to be included with the elec. heat option to work the heat strip.

So that's why I say that I am 99% certain that we can have heat strips.
Streamline your A/C
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #37

I am pretty sure this is just the heat strip portion and would probably be all you need if you already have the chill grill. Of course that wire and the thermostat.
Streamline your A/C
Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #38

Just found on another forum someone who did just this In the posts it kind of explains that these parts are available but not listed on websites. I believe that the challenge is not the installation of the heat strip, but that extra wire (to do it properly)
Streamline your A/C
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #39

Very interesting information. I am going to have to go out to my storage facility, drop the return air grill, and get my model/serial number. I think I'll call Airxcel with the information and see if it's possible and what part numbers I need if it is. I already have a Hunter digital thermostat set to the low fan setting only, so if needed I can use the high fan wire as the control wire. I just hope that the control box is up there. I will report back what I find.
dmax_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #40

I think that the biggest issue is going to be that extra wire. I am going to try to run a wire for this just to know that I can. When my second A/C was installed, the Chill Grill was not installed and I think that I want it. If I go that route, I will get the heat strip version and run the wire. Then decide what to do with the main A/C

Streamline your A/C