Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
Rustic Eagle,

Heat strips are addons that go inside the AC housing and produce heat. I believe most are rated around 1500w which is standard for a space heater but I think the problem is the incoming fresh air blows across them too heavily for them to be very effective. Any I have had do ok if the outside temp is no colder than 55* or so. When it gets much colder than that they seem to blow mostly cool air.
Rustic Eagle's post is exactly what I experienced just a few days ago. I bought one from a local RV dealers parts stock and installed it into my Airxcel (Coleman) rooftop A/C. It was easy. My ceiling unit was made to accept a heat strip; it came with a receptacle for the plug. So, I dropped the ceiling unit, bolted the heat strip into place, plugged it in, put the ceiling unit back in place and turned it on. It started blowing cold air. I thought it needed time to warm up, but it never did. So I assumed the electrical feed or circuit might be bad, but it tested OK. I removed it and returned it. (It was a stock part so they took it back. The parts rep told me if it was a special order, it could not be returned.)

I have to agree with Rustic Eagle that the volume of air dissapates any heat before you feel it. On a follow-up call, a factory rep told me they aren't effective until about 60 degrees.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #52

I have wanted to add the heat strip to my AC. My AC was built for it as an option. My issue has been I have not been able to determine if Coleman makes more than one heat strip and if so which one is required for my AC. I have contacted Coleman numerous times with no response.

One of the things you do have to remember is the AC is distributed from the ceiling and heat rises, so you do not get a lot of heat down at the floor level.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have wanted to add the heat strip to my AC. My AC was built for it as an option. My issue has been I have not been able to determine if Coleman makes more than one heat strip and if so which one is required for my AC. I have contacted Coleman numerous times with no response.

One of the things you do have to remember is the AC is distributed from the ceiling and heat rises, so you do not get a lot of heat down at the floor level.
There are several different heat strips. Your dealer should be able to order the correct kit for your AC unit.

The air blows out of the AC unit very fast, so the air does not feel warm like the heat from a cube heater. The heat strip does produce the same amount of heat. Turn it on and leave the camper for a short time. You will feel the difference when you go back in. The air is blown from the ceiling, but it does circulate through out the room/bunkends. The air blows out hits the wall travels down the walls across the floor and back to the AC unit. The air is then sucked back in to the heater and is warmed again.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote