Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2023, 09:40 AM   #21

Thanks everyone, I hope there will be more discussion. Lots to think about.

I suspect AirTags are the right way to go over the Samsung version. The Android versions, a person passing by must have the tile's software package or anther an app that can look for a tile on their phone. There is only 3 million Android tags been sold world wide. I suspect not a lot of phones have the required app installed on phones to locate/find a tag. Hence all these phones wondering by wont read/report the tag's location.

I saw the TagVaults on Amazon. I suspect that would be a great tool help secure and hid the tags in plan site under the trailer or in some other handy out of sight location.

Removing the speaker is a must, just to make locating the tag harder.

Wondering if two tags are the way to go. One maybe under the trailer. Then one placed inside a piece of camping gear, that would normally be left in the trailer. This way if it stolen, and the gear is dumped, we have a way to locate the dumped gear.

I suspect the next key item is to see if we have a parent with an Apple phone that would be willing to setup the tag.

I did read you can use an Android product to track/monitor air tags. Initial research looks like Android have very limited access to Airtag technology (need to do more research on this).

As for the number of stolen BSA trailers. I read an older Scouting Magazine article an average of 4.6 a month are reported stolen to BSA. Sure the actual number is higher.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Note: Some people tried using Air Tags to track other people without their knowledge. This prompted Apple to notify iPhone users an Air Tag was present (audible). A thief may discover an Air Tag by accident this way. Thus the suggestion regarding removing the speaker from the Air Tag.
I can add to this, some important information about AirTags you should consider (and I apologize if someone already mentioned this and I missed it).

iPhones will pop up a notification on-screen when it detects a new foreign AirTag near you for a certain amount of time. Removing the speaker from the AirTag will make it harder for them to find, but their iPhone will tell them it's there.

Was on a guys' trip recently, and one of the guys' dad had placed an AirTag into his backpack as a joke (referencing an incident in Sturgis where his iPhone battery had died and he wandered off from the group and got lost in the crowd... he had the only hotel room key). ANYWAY about 12-18 hours in, all of our iPhones went off within minutes of each other ... stating that a new AirTag had been tracking nearby since X time/date, showed us all the locations we'd been with it, and gave us the option to activate the beeping so we could find it.. even though it wasn't our AirTag. Without the speaker, it would have been nearly impossible to find the AirTag but we still knew it was there.

"The Cabin" - 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS

crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:51 PM   #23

Wish these were around when my daughter was a teenager and got her first car. When she was going out we would ask her where she was going: shopping; when will you be home: later; who will you be with: friends.

We all managed to survive and now I have 5 grandkids, and my daughter is an AARP member

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:11 PM   #24

To me if a thief gets the notification, thats great, if they struggle at finding the airtag, excellent. Might be a good reason for them to dump the trailer and run.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 02-08-2023, 09:54 PM   #25

Quick add-on here. I recently discovered that Apple Air Tags use Ultra Wideband (UWB) signals (vs. bluetooth). The difference being UWB is a closer proximity but more accurate than Bluetooth. Ex: Air Tags will trigger if any Apple device is within range (likely iPhones) vs. TILE only being effective for people that use the TILE app. Keep in mind that Samsung makes a tracker as well, that's specific to that vendor. So you could opt for either. - Thanks
Old 02-09-2023, 02:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Ex: Air Tags will trigger if any Apple device is within range (likely iPhones) vs. TILE only being effective for people that use the TILE app.

Yeah, I'm not big on anything Apple but when it comes to trackers, I'd pick the AirTag over everything else, for now.

Finding your lost something means you need someone else near your lost item. The odds of *that* someone just having an iPhone are so much higher than them having a phone and the Tile app, for example.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
The odds of *that* someone just having an iPhone are so much higher than them having a phone and the Tile app, for example.
Agree.

We have not moved forwards yet, but we will be discussing at our upcoming committee meeting.

What I am thinking is to install two AirTags in the trailer. Both placed near each other, maybe one inside and one outside, one being well camouflaged, the other fairly easy to find. My thinking is if someone has a new phone that has the ability to use their phone to guide them directly to the AirTag, they find the one and become confused as there appears to be an echo or software glitch.

Of course AirTags will be modified the speakers removed.

I suspect the permanent installation will not be installed until April/May time frame as it is to cold and to much unorganized "stuff" in the trailer right now.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 02-09-2023, 04:24 PM   #28

Want to see if I understand this right.

I place the airtag on my trailer and someone steals it. Will they get the alert there is a tag 'following' them no matter what or only after I tell the software my tag has been lost?

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:52 PM   #29

Air Tags to the rescue!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-family-outsmarts-car-thieves-apple-airtag-picked-wrong-car

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post

I place the airtag on my trailer and someone steals it. Will they get the alert there is a tag 'following' them no matter what or only after I tell the software my tag has been lost?

YES they will get alerted NO MATTER WHAT.

When their iPhone detects that a foreign AirTag is within range and has been "following" them, it will alert them! (after a certain period of time.. for us it was nearly 12 hours) It's part of Apple's efforts to prevent AirTags from being used to stalk people.

Once they are alerted, it then allows them to see how long the AirTag has been following them, the path they've taken while the AirTag has been following them, and allows them to cause the AirTag to beep so they can find it.

I have personal experience with this happening.

"The Cabin" - 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS

crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
YES they will get alerted NO MATTER WHAT.

When their iPhone detects that a foreign AirTag is within range and has been "following" them, it will alert them! (after a certain period of time.. for us it was nearly 12 hours) It's part of Apple's efforts to prevent AirTags from being used to stalk people.

Once they are alerted, it then allows them to see how long the AirTag has been following them, the path they've taken while the AirTag has been following them, and allows them to cause the AirTag to beep so they can find it.

I have personal experience with this happening.
Only if they have an Iphone.

My understand the newest Iphones can also tell you how far way it is and the direction.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 02-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #32

It will also alert on non apple devices as long as they have the apple app installed. But it is more transparent on apple devices for sure.

Due to the alerting and beeping that the device will make it also makes it REALLY easy to find. Personal suggestion, buy four (currently $99, sometimes on sale for $75). Hide ALL of them on the trailer. Modify three of them, removing the speaker magnet, this stops it from making the noise. Thus giving the thieves a "give me" but their phones will still alert from the other three that they will either have to ditch the trailer or search for! If hidden right they will not find them.

Be creative but understand the technology, its strengths and its weaknesses.

Tags
airtags, tracking, trailer security