Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Atwood Furnace problem - blower will not shut down

Hi, I am having a problem with my Atwood furnace in my 2016 Jayco HT Eagle 27.5RLTS. Just went on a camping trip above Syracuse, NY and used the furnace for 4 days with no problem at all. As we were preparing to pack up and come home, the furnace blower kicked on, but no heat came on. The furnace blower continued to run, even when I set the thermostat to off and the temperature to the lowest setting. The furnace blower ran nonstop for a couple of hours while we packed up. Finally, I got it to shut down by pulling the 20 Amp fuse for the furnace.

When I got home, I set up the trailer, connected power and turned on propane, checked the stove and the fireplace and those all worked fine. Had the thermostat still in off position and lowest temperature setting. Put the 20 amp furnace fuse back in and the furnace blower immediately started running again, but no heat. Looked through the manuals on the furnace and saw that there is a power switch on the unit. I opened the grill in front of the furnace, found the switch and turned it off. Furnace blower stopped. However, with this switch turned off, the AC and the fan no longer function. Thermostat settings have no effect. Turned the furnace power switch back on and furnace blower starts running again, still no heat. AC and fan now function properly using thermostat. Finally, I turned the furnace power switch off, turned off the 30 amp main A/C breaker and disconnected the battery. Then I reconnected the battery, turned on the 30 amp A/C breaker, and turned on the furnace power switch. At this point, the furnace blower did not start running again. I checked the AC and fan operation with the thermostat and they work fine. With the thermostat set to the lowest temp, I turned the thermostat switch to Heat. Still no activity from the furnace, as expected. Checked the stove and propane is working fine. Slid the thermostat temp up until I heard a click and the furnace blower came on. Waited 5 minutes, but no ignition on the furnace burner and the blower continues to run. Had to repeat above procedure to get the furnace blower to stop running.

I have seen a post that mentions a high limit switch as being the culprit. Where is this switch and how do you get to it? Looking at my furnace unit, it is a sealed box with only the power switch on top being accessible without removing the whole unit.

Is there a simple fix to this problem or am I stuck taking my 5th wheel back to the dealer (over an hour away)?
RevDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #2

Sounds like it may be a problem with the control board, If its under warranty I would notify the dealer and get his recommendation
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

Did u get it resolved. I have same issue
James4214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

Atwood Furnace problem - blower will not shut down

I ended up taking my rig back to the dealer to have the problem looked at. Wouldn't you know the repair technician could not replicate the problem and so would not do any further warranty work on the furnace. I pulled my rig out into the parking lot and tried to get the furnace to malfunction as it had been before to no avail. I went back and talked to the technician, explaining what I thought was the problem. There is a high limit switch on the circuit board that controls the furnace. If that switch gets stuck open, the blower will not shut off. The switch is outside the furnace's main power supply because it is intended to run the blower for 2 minutes to cool the furnace after it is shut down. The only fix according to the technician is to replace the control circuit board, which means pulling the furnace out of the rig and that is expensive. The technician can only do that if there is direct evidence that it is malfunctioning in his presence. Otherwise, Jayco/Atwood will not cover the repair expense under warranty and that leaves the Camping World repair department out the money for the repair. So far, I have not had a repeat of the problem, but I have not had an opportunity to run the furnace yet this season. If the problem reoccurs I may drive my rig straight to Camping World with the furnace blower still running so they can see the problem for themselves and replace it under warranty.
RevDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #5

I have the same problem

Like exactly the same and can not anywhere find how to fix it. It’s like 20* in my area and inside my RV is like 19*. Were u able to fix it??
Kristina2dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Kristina,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina2dope View Post
Like exactly the same and can not anywhere find how to fix it. It’s like 20* in my area and inside my RV is like 19*. Were u able to fix it??
This is an old thread and appears the OP (original poster) isn't checking the thread. The OP did state that a 'tech' advised that a circuit board would be required to fix the problem.

I would recommend starting your own new thread describing what you are experiencing with your furnace...., may get more visibility and response. Also reference the year/model TT you have.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace blower