Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Atwood furnace reset.

I learned something very important last night and today. We had a troublesome night with our Atwood furnace going completely dead, and extremely cold weather on the horizon. It was dead dead. Thermostat would click but furnace did nothing. Waited for soft and did a hard reset, nothing. Checked fuse, it was good.

I called the dealer, Big Sky RV in Bozeman MT., 4.5 hours and 2 mountain passes away, and Chris in service told me about another reset I don't remember reading about in the manual.

The 377RLBH does not have outside access to the furnace, which sits on a shelf above the water heater, behind the water control panel. There is a breaker switch on the top. That evidently is super double secret.

Start with the thermostat turned off. I had to remove all of the panels on that side. This is good because now i know where to install the ems when it gets ordered. All of the air ducts may not have had to be removed, but I did as they twist on and off. Follow the wires back and there is the switch. Click it on and off. Off is the side without the ridge, and has more of a click, like a breaker. Leave it off for at least 30 seconds. Turn the thermostat on and hopefully yours will turn on like ours did.

Now the fun of reassembly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Always looking for new places to take photos.
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #2

Thanks for the sharing the double secret switch location! Kinda reminds me of the secret shut off for the ice maker under the kitchen sink. Why do they hide these things and not tell anyone where they hid them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Makes life interesting?

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Thanks for the sharing the double secret switch location! Kinda reminds me of the secret shut off for the ice maker under the kitchen sink. Why do they hide these things and not tell anyone where they hid them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we will find more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
Makes life interesting?

Way too interesting. We were planning on winterizing if it didn't work. Then dewinterizing in a few weeks when we head south.

It was a bit of work to fix, but I prefer to learn to do it myself and be as self sufficient as possible.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

Aannnnndddd at 10 degrees the furnace becomes inoperable. It hit -6 and two heaters underneath kept the pipes open, plus the tank valves had a piece of insulation over the top so they won't open. Pink stuff in the. tanks. so hopefully they don't freeze.

Decided to winterize and temporarily take advantage of the house we are staying at. We hope to get it to the dealer soon so we can head south as soon as we are ready.

sigh...

Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Thank you for sharing about this hidden reset.
doubly sorry to hear of additional/continuation of the problem.

Given this information, when time permits I will take a look and check my furnace out to see if it has the same or similar set up. If so, (based on the picture you provided) I will take the secret switch out of its location and do what is necessary to relocate it to an outer panel so it is easier to get to.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #8

Thanks for pointing out the reset. Have reset ours again did you find a further problem with your furnace that was causing reset to go?
Cookijar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Any further info on your furnace failure would be appreciated. Ours seems to be experiencing similar intermittent stoppage. Heater quits. Let sit for hour or so then reset thermostat and all is well again for awhile. Wasn't aware of the switch either. Thanks for the info.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

We are not sue yet. It is scheduled to go in for warranty service as soon asnthe roade clear up and we can make the drive. I will definately post when we find anything out. We had to winterkize and moveninto a family home.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

This is the similar situation that I had this weekend. Thermostat would click but nothing would happen. Found the same switch and it worked one time. When I went back later that night to use it it, only blew cold air. Going to check my thermostat wiring next.
thormsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #12

So far I have I have re-done all the wire nutted connections at the furnace and thermostat, cycled the reset switch. Cycling ok at this time. I haven't been into this model furnace and it appears it has to be removed to do so. (mounted under the refrig in this model)
Still under warranty of course. Fortunately we are out of the cold country visiting in Cali as we head south to AZ. Time will tell.
And Happy New Year to all you folks.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #13

I finally have an update and time to type it in. When the 377 went in they pulled the furnace out and "Rebuilt" it. They then ran it during the whole time other work was done. At least the bottle was empty. Now after 2 weeks of use, it is working great. In fact it seems to be putting out more heat than before. So much in fact that the plastic vent in the basement warped so it had to be partially covered with metallic furnace tape.

I would venture to say that Atwood knew a problem existed and has a fix ready.

Now if they would build a furnace that is 95%+ efficient so that heat does not stream out the vent.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #14

same issue with Jayco 161

I am having the same issue. Camping in Florida for bike week. Temps in the 30s. Resetting the switch every night. Local Jayco dealer said they have replace several switches. I'll hit my local dealer when I get back home for some warranty work.
bikersully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #15

Did they ever tell you what the secret switch actually resets?

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

It sounds like it is a master breaker for the furnace. Not sure exactly.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #17

Furnace question

I noticed when resetting my switch the are 2 4 inch vent hoses connected to heater vents & there is 1 2 inch hose not connected to anything. Is that expected? I assume it is to keep the pipes from freezing. Anyone know for sure?
bikersully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #18

I have one of those too. I figured it was part of the circulation to keep everything warm.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #19

Can you post a picture of this? Is it in an area where there are exposed water pipes?

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #20

Just dropped our 377 off at a dealer for the same furnace issue. What can you tell us that might put them in the right direction for fixing? Although we already get the attitude from them that they don't want to listen to our input. Called us back to unlock compartment to get at furnace. We were sure we left the area unlocked and when we got there he wanted to the one with all the water controls unlocked because that's what he thought needed to be open. Never looked it the cargo compartment we did leave unlocked and had unpacked for them. Said no one told him that's where to get at it. Oh boy!
Cookijar is offline   Reply With Quote