Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Auto Trans & towing...

[rant alert]
What's so great about having an automatic transmission when towing?

Firstly, I've got about 40 years and over 500,000 miles of driving experience with a decided preference for manual transmissions, near zero boost power steering and huge distrust of airbags, ABS and traction control...

I already have a 1 ton truck that is equipped with a dump body and snowplow. Plowing with the automatic is a pain-in-the-posterior since I have to shift between R and 2. While having to re-disable O/D from time-to time because the button is at the end of the shift handle.

I am currently shopping for a new tow vehicle and would like to buy a 1/2 ton truck.

But it seems no manufacturer is selling anything bigger than an econobox with a manual transmission! Unless you start talking about 3/4 ton and larger trucks.

I've been towing with SWMBO's 1/4 ton (auto transmission) for 7 years now. The hunting when going uphill or in heavy traffic drives me nuts! Plus worrying over overheating the fluid. Did that last 3-4 shift feel odd? Why is the converter clutch closed yet?

-----

So, if I give in and buy a nice new truck; what are the virtues of this giving in and compromising to an automatic transmission over the ease of maintenance, reliability and control of a manual?

[end rant]

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
[rant alert]

Firstly, I've got about 40 years and over 500,000 miles of driving experience with a decided preference for manual transmissions, near zero boost power steering and huge distrust of airbags, ABS and traction control...

I already have a 1 ton truck that is equipped with a dump body and snowplow. Plowing with the automatic is a pain-in-the-posterior since I have to shift between R and 2. While having to re-disable O/D from time-to time because the button is at the end of the shift handle.

I am currently shopping for a new tow vehicle and would like to buy a 1/2 ton truck.

But it seems no manufacturer is selling anything bigger than an econobox with a manual transmission! Unless you start talking about 3/4 ton and larger trucks.

I've been towing with SWMBO's 1/4 ton (auto transmission) for 7 years now. The hunting when going uphill or in heavy traffic drives me nuts! Plus worrying over overheating the fluid. Did that last 3-4 shift feel odd? Why is the converter clutch closed yet?

-----

So, if I give in and buy a nice new truck; what are the virtues of this giving in and compromising to an automatic transmission over the ease of maintenance, reliability and control of a manual?

[end rant]
OK glad you got that off your chest. Now step forward to the current and accept that 99.9% of us are towing with an auto tranny including me [2500 durimax]. Collectively we have something approaching a trillion miles under our belts. Ok I made that mileage up, but we have driven a bunch of miles with our automatic trannys. You will not be plowing with your tow vehicle so the r into 2nd isn't really a concern. You won't find a better tranny than the Allison that GM puts in their Duramax trucks.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

Something you may want to look into is a automatic that includes the "manual mode". I have this feature on my new pickup and love it. It was especially useful traveling over mountain passes. Honestly, I don't think I would buy another pickup I plan to tow with without this feature.

Good luck in your search!
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

Mike837go,
I am with you. I have spent many many years on the road. Towed big and little things (I could only guess at the miles). I have built serious off road vehicles (rock crawlers and such). Yet, in my time I have had two automatic transmission trucks. I prefer a manual transmission when it comes to towing and off-roading. A lot less worry, a lot less maintenance. Sure, we may slow down more on a steep grade, but we still get there and we save a lot in gas while doing it. Don't get me wrong, I had a serious problem once with a manual while in the backcountry, but unlike an automatic transmission, I was able to get the vehicle locked into a gear and limp my way out. If I had an auto transmission on that trip, I would have had to pay through the nose for a specialized tow rig.
On my current rig, the only services I have had on my manual trans was a throw out bearing at 183,000 miles (I went ahead and replaced the whole clutch assembly at this point, but it was the first one), and fluid change at 100k and 200k.
Keep looking for what you what, be patient, they are still made. You will find what you are looking for.
Consider this, America has a love for auto transmissions, it is getting so that a manual transmission acts as a psuedo anti theft device. Meanwhile, in Europe the manual transmissions are still more of the norm.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Just my opinion but I would say that anyone that tows a TT with a 6000 lb max rating with a TV that has a 6500 lb max towing capacity is entitled to rant and rave about " The hunting when going uphill or in heavy traffic drives me nuts" Now maybe if he had a better TV and wasn't running about 92% of the weight ratio between TT and TV he wouldn't be complaining as much about the hunting.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Automatic transmissions actually have higher effective gear ratios, even if you are running a wide ratio five speed and brownie or a 10-15 speed Road Ranger. They are a different breed of cat to drive, though. I used to prefer manual trannies as well but today's slush pumps will beat out a manual, including even on the big rigs, even when the manual is being driven by a pro.

As far as the gear hunting goes, when it happens, just drop down a gear and stay there. It will prevent wear and tear, reduce heating, and will actually improve fuel mileage. I occasionally will disable overdrive on my '08 F150 Screw with the 5.4 V8 when I'm hauling a load up a steep grade to avoid gear hunting. I do the same far more frequently when going downhill on a steep grade so I can stay off my brakes.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
[rant alert]

Firstly, I've got about 40 years and over 500,000 miles of driving experience with a decided preference for manual transmissions,
[end rant]
The problem is most people don't know how to properly shift when towing or they also burn up clutches. Since there is no longer a demand for a stick it's only going to be offered in the bigger trucks.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

I think we're comparing apples and oranges. Running a plow is a far different experience than towing a travel trailer. The hunting you're experiencing is more likely due to towing at close to you towing capacity. I don't recall what you have for a trailer.

My experience: 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (TC 4900#) and '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid (3500#) GVWR; hardly ever downshifted in 3rd gear except really high winds and on 6% grades. Traded trailer for current X20E, GVWR 4750#. Downshifted even on small hills. Upgraded truck to current Sierra (TC 7500# and 5.3 V8, 3:73 gears), hardly ever downshifts, no gear hunting, converter stays locked. Did great in Tennessee's mountains last Sept. Prior to the Trailblazer I towed the Kiwi with a '95 'Burb. OK, but a less than stellar towing experience.

As far as maintenance? All I've ever done is changed fluid at the recommend 50k intervals. Easy peasy.

Reliability? I sold my Trailblazer with 160k on it, transmission was as strong as ever. Biggest reason I sold it was it's age, it was going need things like exhaust and a few other things, and it was 10 years old. Trailblazer was a truck, but not built as good as the 1/2 tons. My Sierra has 120k on it. I have complete confidence in the drive train.

Personally, for daily driving and towing, I would never consider a manual. The advantages that manual transmissions had 30 years ago are non-existent today.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Yeah they are not offered because the public does not want them and/or know how to drive them. My first truck was a 3 on the tree F100. How many drivers today could even get that truck to move......As for myself I would now never go back to manual. If the truck is capable the automatic will do the job well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsims View Post
Something you may want to look into is a automatic that includes the "manual mode". I have this feature on my new pickup and love it. It was especially useful traveling over mountain passes. Honestly, I don't think I would buy another pickup I plan to tow with without this feature.
Good luck in your search!
This search has been like Meat Loaf's "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad":

You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach
You'll never drill for oil on a city street
I know you're looking for a ruby
In a mountain of rocks
But there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding
At the bottom of a Cracker Jack box

------------------------

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with automatic anything... It's just that I prefer (and will pay for) an appropriate mix of manual and automatic:
Cruise Control - Love it.
Power Windows - Great!
One-touch power windows - annoying overkill.
EFI - early teething problems, Since OBDII - great.
Drive by wire - Works great.
Air Bags - Saves lives every day. Wouldn't be needed if folks used the seat belts properly.
ABS - The difference between winding up in the ditch or spinning out and winding up in the ditch. SLOW DOWN when conditions call for it!
Hands free phone support as part of the radio- Great, love it.
Remote door lock/unlock with hatch/trunk release - Wonderful.
Remote start - nice idea, but an unmonitored idling engine can be dangerous.
Driver Information Center - Useless! Why show all that while trying to drive? Had it in luxury cars and even a VW. What a waste!
Centralized Locking - Unlock or lock all doors from either front seat.
Doors locks whenever the vehicle is moved- Annoying. Had it configured off in my 2013 Jetta. If the doors should be locked, lock 'em yourself.
Variable Intermittent Wipers - Great. Set 'em for what's falling.
Speed Sensitive Wipers - over engineered nonsense!
Automatic Transmission - the fire-and-forget of automobile operation.

There has also been a nice improvement in where the seatbelt latch is attached. Has anyone else noticed that the latch is now attached to the seat frame? That the latch is always in the same relative position, no matter where you move the front seats? Nice Touch.

---------------------

I'm not anti-tech. I just enjoy the whole driving experience. And if I HAVE to delegate one of my responsibilities of driving, I absolutely need to understand the real benefits of entrusting a machine.

And proud of it!
Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yeah they are not offered because the public does not want them and/or know how to drive them.

I could not agree with you more!

My first truck was a 3 on the tree F100. How many drivers today could even get that truck to move......

Probably none. I Borrowed one of those to help a friend move. Never got the hang of three-on-the-tree. 2nd and R kept changing places.

As for myself I would now never go back to manual. If the truck is capable the automatic will do the job well.
That was SWMBO's choice in '09. Her daily driver when we met was a 5spd 4Runner.

And proud of it!
Old 07-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yeah they are not offered because the public does not want them and/or know how to drive them. My first truck was a 3 on the tree F100. How many drivers today could even get that truck to move......As for myself I would now never go back to manual. If the truck is capable the automatic will do the job well.
That's a walk down memory lane. First pickup I drove was an old Fargo with 3 on the tree. The transmission was easy, but the clutch spring was so heavy you had to have the calves and thighs of a sumo wrestler (well left side anyway).

We still have a stick in our econobox runabout (Versa), but I have become partial to a slushbox in my larger vehicles that do all the long distance travelling. I do have manual shift mode that I often use while towing, especially for engine braking on down grades. My tow/haul mode seems pretty good at dropping and holding a lower gear while climbing.

I agree with Mike on most points about the tech, but I do like the driver information centre. Knowing the actual pressure in my tires (for some reason I have an affinity for picking up nails while driving), how many miles I can travel at my current consumption before filling up, and what my average consumption is are all things I check regularly while driving the longer hauls.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

I have never owned an automatic vehicle until my 15 F-350. My 04 F-350 had a 5 speed manual in it. I was reasonably happy towing with that.

My 15 with the Automatic makes me very happy. I realize that eveyone has their brand loyalty and why the other makes are better, but I think Ford did a darn good job putting the newer model Super Duty's together. I have the 6.7L diesel and the 6 Speed automatic (I don't think they even offer a manual anymore) and it tows like a dream. The tow haul feature eliminates hunting. If it has to downshift, it stays there until you break the grade. I've never once had it hunt in everything from flat prairie land roads to driving through the rockies on a 2 lane highway. The exhaust break is great too. Push that little button and at any tap of the brakes, it comes on and provides quite a bit of slowing power.

Mine does have a manual transmission mode where you can select what gear it runs in, but other than playing with it, I have never felt the need or desire to use it.

What I have found that annoys me, is that if I use cruise control, the tranny will allow the truck to slow over 5 mph before a downshift (trying to prevent hunting), lose momentum, then downshift. It pours on the coal to get back to cruise speed, which is usually topping the hill and results in speed 5 mph above cruise set which will trigger costing to slow down. It is really a roller coaster ride. What I started doing on this past trip, when I saw a hill that I expected would create a downshift was to drop a gear (lock out 6th gear) as I got into the max grade and then it would hold speed nice and smooth all the way up the hill. Then halfway up the hill, I'd unlock 6th gear and then it wouldn't shift until I was on the backside of the hill. Made things much smoother. I guess the trucks can't see the hill ahead of them and anticipate quite yet. I was very happy with the results when driving like this.

I understand where you are coming from in liking manuals, but I'd suggest giving it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Air Bags - Saves lives every day. Wouldn't be needed if folks used the seat belts properly.
ABS - The difference between winding up in the ditch or spinning out and winding up in the ditch. SLOW DOWN when conditions call for it!

I'll have to disagree with you here. Antilock brakes save many more lives than airbags do. The best way to not get injured in a collision is to not have a collision in the first place. Antilock brakes prevent multitudes of collisions every day.

Antilock brakes are the single greatest safety innovation in the past century of automobiles.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
That was SWMBO's choice in '09. Her daily driver when we met was a 5spd 4Runner.
Maybe you should rant and rave at the SWMBO for picking a TV that is borderline on power Rather than rant and rave about "The hunting when going uphill or in heavy traffic drives me nuts!" Just my opinion but when a Auto Trans does all that hunting it tells me that the TV is to small for the load or the Load is to big for the TV. Even if its in specs it is too close to max payload of the TV.

Opps on second thought maybe you should rant and rave at yourself for getting the 2015 TT knowing it was very close to the max limit of the SWMBO's TV
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #16
Site Team

''Probably none. I Borrowed one of those to help a friend move. Never got the hang of three-on-the-tree. 2nd and R kept changing places.''

Like many things its actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Its still an "H' pattern like on the floor just sideways and 3 speed instead of 4, but if you go back aways you can find 3 speeds on the floor were once offered. The shifter will slide easily into second on the upswing, but you have to pull up and in to get reverse.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #17

I'm in the "would never own a manual again" camp. I get all Mike's reasoning, but I just don't have any need for it. In all the vehicles I've ever driven, I've never had even one problem with an automatic transmission (knocking on wood). Plenty of problems with the 5-spd in my Wrangler though; good thing it was manual because I worked on that darn thing CONSTANTLY. I also have no NEED for a manual trans. I don't operate my vehicles as "working" vehicles, they are transportation. No plowing, no crawling, no racing, etc.

As for the "driving experience"? I'm totally over that. As I've gotten older, I depend on my vehicles to get me and my family from A to B safely and in relative comfort. I would much rather enjoy the drive than enjoy the driving.

And as for all the "tech"? I love it. I love the info center in my dash that can tell me virtually anything I want to know about my vehicle with the touch of a button. I love hands-free phone. I love auto up/down window switches. I love automatic door locks, unlocking not as much (I like to survey the environment before the doors unlock for safety reasons). I love automatic headlights. I agree that ABS is one of the most significant advancements in automotive technology (I've seen early test videos, and they could sell the tech to ANYONE). Traction control and air bags have saved enough lives that I have a VERY healthy respect for them.

All that being said, if I were to have a "toy", like a V-8 sports car or a serious dedicated off-road vehicle, or some kind of race car, then I like to "row my own". But for every day driving, I'll take an auto, and all the cupholders I can get!!

FWIW, I've driven the old trucks with "3 on the tree" as well. Manual clutch, manual steering, no power anything. I will say it was a bit nostalgic, and interesting, but I would throw it off a cliff if it were my "daily driver"! Luckily, I'm one of the few my age and a bit younger that knows how to operate a manual transmission. I think everyone should know how to do that. Unfortunately, I believe by the time my son (2 yrs old now) is old enough to drive, I won't be able to find one to teach him with...

For the most part, auto tech has advanced and made driving better; safer, more efficient, easier... And I accept most (if not all) of it readily once the tech has been proven.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Maybe you should rant and rave at the SWMBO for picking a TV that is borderline on power Rather than rant and rave about "The hunting when going uphill or in heavy traffic drives me nuts!" Just my opinion but when a Auto Trans does all that hunting it tells me that the TV is to small for the load or the Load is to big for the TV. Even if its in specs it is too close to max payload of the TV.

Opps on second thought maybe you should rant and rave at yourself for getting the 2015 TT knowing it was very close to the max limit of the SWMBO's TV
Her 'undersized' truck is clearly my fault and I am trying to remedy that situation by buying a new 1/2 ton.

I still haven't read anything that says an automatic transmission is superior to a manual.

I've read several entries in this thread that the truck makers have been tweaking the software so that an automatic will function well enough so it is not annoying when towing.

Anything from anybody? So I can get comfortable with the idea of spending $60K on a new truck; and not worry about hating it a year later?

And proud of it!
Old 07-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
snip...

Anything from anybody? So I can get comfortable with the idea of spending $60K on a new truck; and not worry about hating it a year later?
How about this? I love mine. With a manual shift option, I can control it enough to not be "annoying" while towing. But truthfully, I don't have to.

In my GMC 1500, I had the same control. Not like a manual, but I could set the trans not to shift above a certain gear. 4th (6-spd trans) was where it liked to be when it was working hard, and it hardly ever shifted when I had it locked in 4th.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Her 'undersized' truck is clearly my fault and I am trying to remedy that situation by buying a new 1/2 ton.

I still haven't read anything that says an automatic transmission is superior to a manual.

I've read several entries in this thread that the truck makers have been tweaking the software so that an automatic will function well enough so it is not annoying when towing.

I can`t say about the newer trannies but with mine I just put her in tow haul and go, no hunting but its flat land hear. It will shift into OD in good conditions. If I do not want OD I just use 3rd gear. As for getting comfortable spending 60K on a new truck, there`s no way that could happen for cheapskate Crabman even if the bed was lined with gold.