Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #21

I've been hearing rumors about a possible 10 speed automatic in the near future for 1/2 ton trucks. I know that Jeep has an 8 speed in the Grand Cherokee and it may be available in the new Ram with the EcoDiesel. I'm keeping my eye out as that would give better towing, lower gear to get going and better mileage, as there are more gears and closer ratios to keep the engine in the "sweet spot" while towing. I know that my 6 speed auto is great at hauling my TT. I have the manual mode when I need it and will lock it in 3rd or 4th if needed. but most of the time I'm in Tow/Haul mode which changes the shift point and increases the line pressure inside the transmission. I do watch my transmission temperature closely. Last weekend it was 102 outside and my transmission got to 205 in traffic, but one we got back to open road, it dropped back to 192. Seriously considering adding a second cooler.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I'll have to disagree with you here. Antilock brakes save many more lives than airbags do. The best way to not get injured in a collision is to not have a collision in the first place. Antilock brakes prevent multitudes of collisions every day.

Antilock brakes are the single greatest safety innovation in the past century of automobiles.
[we may have to take this outside...]

I don't understand how ABS in passenger cars can be considered a 'life saving' system? Stopping distances are (slightly) longer when ABS kicks in and (theoretically) you can continue to steer the vehicle while the ABS pump is pulsing the brakes.

However, once things turn sour because you were driving too fast for the amount traction available, a collision is inevitable. If the driver didn't lift his/her foot off the brake because the whole vehicle is shuddering, then the impact might be at a lower velocity than if the wheels had locked up.

And airbags only make a real difference for fools that don't wear seat belts.

I'll give you that ABS could be the "greatest safety innovation in the past century of automobiles" since seat belts were first patented in 1885. Nothing beats staying firmly attached to the seat while the sacrificial parts are bent, twisted or torn off during a collision.

I've been in a bunch of collisions (2 where the cars were destroyed) and the only injury I have ever gotten was to my left shoulder when the air bag sent my hand into the headliner.

Being completely surrounded by explosives: Center of the steering wheel, above the window, in the 'B' pillar and the outboard side of all the seats is most disconcerting. But I will live with it since it will make a difference when a distracted/drunk in an SUV slams onto my 2013 Jetta.

-------

As long as I am bashing the latest tech, anyone want to chime in on the automatic braking systems? If a driver lets him/herself get THAT distracted so the car has to brake itself? WHAT ARE THEY DOING ON THE ROAD!?!?!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #23

My FCA product (Chrysler 200) has a ZF 9 speed. Gm already had 10 speeds in cars.

If I ever get my Corvette it will be a manual. My trucks, I will stick with Autos
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #24

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
My FCA product (Chrysler 200) has a ZF 9 speed. Gm already had 10 speeds in cars.

If I ever get my Corvette it will be a manual. My trucks, I will stick with Autos
How much trailer can the 2016 ZR1 Corvette pull? Or would the Z06 be better for that?

And proud of it!
Old 07-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #25

Even Tractor Trailers are going with Automatic Transmissions.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
How much trailer can the 2016 ZR1 Corvette pull? Or would the Z06 be better for that?
Seen Corvettes pulling snowmobile trailers before
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Sickening.....

And proud of it!
Old 07-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #28

Quote:
[we may have to take this outside...]

I don't understand how ABS in passenger cars can be considered a 'life saving' system? Stopping distances are (slightly) longer when ABS kicks in and (theoretically) you can continue to steer the vehicle while the ABS pump is pulsing the brakes.

However, once things turn sour because you were driving too fast for the amount traction available, a collision is inevitable. If the driver didn't lift his/her foot off the brake because the whole vehicle is shuddering, then the impact might be at a lower velocity than if the wheels had locked up.

And airbags only make a real difference for fools that don't wear seat belts.

I'll give you that ABS could be the "greatest safety innovation in the past century of automobiles" since seat belts were first patented in 1885. Nothing beats staying firmly attached to the seat while the sacrificial parts are bent, twisted or torn off during a collision.

I've been in a bunch of collisions (2 where the cars were destroyed) and the only injury I have ever gotten was to my left shoulder when the air bag sent my hand into the headliner.

Being completely surrounded by explosives: Center of the steering wheel, above the window, in the 'B' pillar and the outboard side of all the seats is most disconcerting. But I will live with it since it will make a difference when a distracted/drunk in an SUV slams onto my 2013 Jetta.

-------

As long as I am bashing the latest tech, anyone want to chime in on the automatic braking systems? If a driver lets him/herself get THAT distracted so the car has to brake itself? WHAT ARE THEY DOING ON THE ROAD!?!?!

A couple of things....

1. Air bags are designed to work in conjunction with seat belts.

2. ABS systems do NOT cause the vehicle to shudder.

3. Modern automatic transmissions are superior to manuals in every way.

Maybe you'd be happier if we could do a search and find you a nicely restored '63 Chevy one ton truck with a granny four speed. It wouldn't have any of the modern conveniences, the brakes would suck, and it would ride like a log wagon, but you could really relish the driving experience.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #29

I will say I am a believer in ABS after avoiding a collision with a suddenly stopped vehicle in my lane. I was able to steer around him, avoiding other vehicles, all while riding the brakes full force the whole way.
Then I changed my underwear.
Never would have pulled that off in the pre-ABS days (the accident avoidance, not the underwear changing).

It is disconcerting to round a bend on a busy Interstate (actually what we call a 400 series here in Ontario) and find a vehicle at a full stop in your lane! I learned lock/release braking when I was young, and have used it before in panic situations, but I would have had a chance for maybe 2 pumps before the collision.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Maybe you'd be happier if we could do a search and find you a nicely restored '63 Chevy one ton truck with a granny four speed. It wouldn't have any of the modern conveniences, the brakes would suck, and it would ride like a log wagon, but you could really relish the driving experience.
Bingo, we have a winnah!
Mike, he's found your new ride!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Quote:
Sickening.....
No it's not. It makes economic sense or they wouldn't do it. The newer slush pumps can actually get better fuel mileage and it doesn't cost the trucking firms as much to train drivers to properly drive sticks, especially crash boxes.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
''Probably none. I Borrowed one of those to help a friend move. Never got the hang of three-on-the-tree. 2nd and R kept changing places.''

Like many things its actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Its still an "H' pattern like on the floor just sideways and 3 speed instead of 4, but if you go back aways you can find 3 speeds on the floor were once offered. The shifter will slide easily into second on the upswing, but you have to pull up and in to get reverse.
I first learned how to drive a stick on my Daddy's F100 with a 240" six and three on the tree. I even learned to double clutch down into first while still rolling without grinding the gears.

You haven't lived until you try to shift five on the tree. When I first started working on a line crew (I wasn't strong and redneck enough for that job, so I moved into warehousing for the next 30 years), I was assigned to drive a street light pole rig. It was a small 30' semitrailer pulled by a tiny IH cabover tractor (the darned thing was older than me). The engine was a 223" Ford (IH never made their own running gear) with a five speed main shifted from a column shifter and a four speed brownie shifted from the top of the dog house. The linkage for the brownie was cable so it was a bit temperamental (fortunately, the loads were light enough I could just leave it in direct and use granny only when driving in mud). The column shifter linkage was so flimsy, it felt like shifting with a rubber golf club. You couldn't feel the gates; you just had to remember where they were once you found them.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #33

I'll comment on 2 aspects of this thread:
1) Automatic Transmissions. Someone asked about the newer ones. I have a 2016 F150 6 speed and the transmission is smarter than my phone (and that's saying a lot).
Transmissions no longer just look at RPM's and engine compression to make shifting decisions.
This transmission is totally integrated with and probably controlled by the onboard computer.
It has a "Tow/Haul" mode (button on the shifter) that when engaged:
Completely eliminates gear hunting.
"Knows" when the cruise control is engaged and shifts accordingly.
It also knows the angle of climb/decent of the vehicle and takes that into account in making shifting decisions (you can see the angle on the dash display).
It provides engine braking automatically when going downhill and it detects that you are trying to maintain or decrease speed (ie it watches the angle/application of brakes/etc.).

I love the thing - my only critique is that sometimes its more aggressive with the engine braking than I would like.

It also has a "Sport" mode (same button) for when you're not towing and you decide to drag race that Porche in the next lane (total waste in my opinion - can't imagine why a pickup would need a "sport" mode ).

2) Airbags.
I'm convinced I'm alive today because of airbags.
Seatbelts don't help a damn when a college kid, playing with the radio, crosses the center line and does an unintentional PIT maneuver on you at 60mph spinning you around and into a pine tree. 60 to 0 in .001 seconds. Rear axle ripped off, most of the sheet metal off the drivers side, trunk where the back seat used to be, motor UNDER the car. Whole vehicle pretty much unrecognizable and my wife and I both walked away.
Trust me - seat belts would have helped very little in this accident. But ALL the airbags went off and we just bounced between them.
Funny thing is - the Toyota Camry was only a month old. When we bought it, very few models on the lot had the side impact airbags. I told my wife she just might have to "settle" for one without to get the color she wanted. She took a color she didn't like to get the airbags.
As only DW's can do - she's never let me forget that "settle" comment :-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I'll comment on 2 aspects of this thread:
1) Automatic Transmissions. Someone asked about the newer ones. I have a 2016 F150 6 speed and the transmission is smarter than my phone (and that's saying a lot).
Transmissions no longer just look at RPM's and engine compression to make shifting decisions.
This transmission is totally integrated with and probably controlled by the onboard computer.
It has a "Tow/Haul" mode (button on the shifter) that when engaged:
Completely eliminates gear hunting.
"Knows" when the cruise control is engaged and shifts accordingly.
It also knows the angle of climb/decent of the vehicle and takes that into account in making shifting decisions (you can see the angle on the dash display).
It provides engine braking automatically when going downhill and it detects that you are trying to maintain or decrease speed (ie it watches the angle/application of brakes/etc.).

I love the thing - my only critique is that sometimes its more aggressive with the engine braking than I would like.

It also has a "Sport" mode (same button) for when you're not towing and you decide to drag race that Porche in the next lane (total waste in my opinion - can't imagine why a pickup would need a "sport" mode ).

2) Airbags.
I'm convinced I'm alive today because of airbags.
Seatbelts don't help a damn when a college kid, playing with the radio, crosses the center line and does an unintentional PIT maneuver on you at 60mph spinning you around and into a pine tree. 60 to 0 in .001 seconds. Rear axle ripped off, most of the sheet metal off the drivers side, trunk where the back seat used to be, motor UNDER the car. Whole vehicle pretty much unrecognizable and my wife and I both walked away.
Trust me - seat belts would have helped very little in this accident. But ALL the airbags went off and we just bounced between them.
Funny thing is - the Toyota Camry was only a month old. When we bought it, very few models on the lot had the side impact airbags. I told my wife she just might have to "settle" for one without to get the color she wanted. She took a color she didn't like to get the airbags.
As only DW's can do - she's never let me forget that "settle" comment :-).
You are a lucky man. My uncle died in a very similar crash. Side impact with a light pole right in the driver's side front door.

As for ABS, when is wheel lock EVER a good thing when braking? Oh yeah, never. I'll trust my life to that computer that allows me to stop in the shortest distance possible, and when the SHTF, I'm pushing that peddle through the floor board as hard as I can. It's already saved my wife and I at least once from certain collision.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #35

Originally Posted by etex211

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Bingo, we have a winnah!
Mike, he's found your new ride!
That might be the ticket for him if he can get the SWMBO's permission.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Originally Posted by etex211

That might be the ticket for him if he can get the SWMBO's permission.
Not a '63 but a 1973 to 1987 'square body' Chevy Suburban K10 Custom Deluxe....
New frame (they're available), minimal rust body from Arizona or New Mexico. Totally rebuild the axles and transfer case. New Cummins engine and 6 speed manual transmission. Use all modern/standardized accessories. Same $60K and 6 months wait as a brand new truck!

Where's the downside?

And I don't need her permission to spend my money. I already have her blessing to take the load off her truck.

And proud of it!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #37

You really want a standard? OK buy your truck then order one of these and install it.. they claim to be on of the best std's on the market
https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...-transmissions

Bowler Performance Transmissions-Looking for a complete package? We've got you covered.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
You really want a standard? OK buy your truck then order one of these and install it.. they claim to be on of the best std's on the market
https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...-transmissions

Bowler Performance Transmissions-Looking for a complete package? We've got you covered.
Cute.

Spend $60,000+ on a brand-new truck. Then another $3,000 for a manual kit. Then $2,000 in labor for somebody to gut-and-rebuild the most critical system?

I may be pig-headed, but I won't waste money that way.

And proud of it!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #39

Mike I kinda know what you’re talking about. I have an automatic, because my DW hates to drive, and refuses to drive a stick. All of our regular street cars are automatics. I sold my last truck, because it was a stick shift. I do have to admit, when I want 4 wheel drive, I like an automatic, but I do not plow, and I do not do any extreme 4 wheeling, it is just for getting me around. Pulling trees, and other light work, along with getting my HTT, backed up my driveway, that would be harder with a stick, as it is one more thing to think about. My driveway is narrow, hilly, retaining walls on two sides in places, 6 foot fence in some areas and a brick house in other areas. It just a tough, approach, which I have torn off my mirror extensions and could see scraping up bumpers due to how narrow my driveway is, but that is a whole other issue.

When I look for a truck, I want a truck, not a luxury car. I just want the basics, I want vinyl floors (no carpet), I don’t need or want power locks or windows. NO moon roof thing that leaks (mine has leaked from day one), Fabric seats are great, and comfortable. AC and heat are a must. Stereo would be nice, AM/FM radio is good enough. I have a CD player in my current TV, my DW has placed a CD in it 2 or 3 times in 9 years. 4 wheel drive is a must. Transmission, I really do not care, but I like driving a stickshift, the DW does not. But backing up my htt, up my driveway is easier with an automatic (a plus for an auto).

Now days, they are making trucks into luxury cars and SUVs. If I drove my truck every day and put thousands of miles on it a month, I would want a lot more luxuries. But it is a truck, not an SUV, or a car. But manufactures know that the younger generation especially want or feel entitled and want every feature and every luxury, and do not really care about how they are going to pay for it.

I guess this is my rant!

Lets all go camping!!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Not a '63 but a 1973 to 1987 'square body' Chevy Suburban K10 Custom Deluxe....
New frame (they're available), minimal rust body from Arizona or New Mexico. Totally rebuild the axles and transfer case. New Cummins engine and 6 speed manual transmission. Use all modern/standardized accessories. Same $60K and 6 months wait as a brand new truck!

Where's the downside?

And I don't need her permission to spend my money. I already have her blessing to take the load off her truck.

The downside is that you've got a '73-'87 Chevy truck. I had one of those. They ride like crap compared to today's trucks.

BTW, my '66 Chevy half ton towed 10 times better than my '86 did.

Look, I'm as nostalgic as the next guy. I love old cars, but I don't want to drive them every day. Today's vehicles are light years better than the junk they were selling us 30 or 40 years ago.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote