Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Very interesting topic, folks. It's phunny because I have been thinking long and hard regarding this very topic right on up to preventing these high dollar items from growing legs and walking as well as the proper orientation of hook up from power post to unit. I like jopopsy's ideas regarding chaining the autoformer underneath at the axles which mitigates both water exposure and theft. J.Lockhart's hook up orientation is priceless in itself because I assume many do not follow such proper procedures.

My idea on the autoformer would be to take a tube of good ultra silicone and seal up the areas that are prone to water intrusion like where the case splits as well as where the cables enter and exit however, that still leaves the unit being in sight issue even if the unit is chained and locked near the power post.

Now, this to me is a possible bigger issue and such a possibility made me sick to my stomach if true. I provided a post on this topic awhile back and never got a response as of yet. Go to post #17 here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...a-35062-2.html

If the above post is true, I think we need to consider going with the 50A Technology Research voltage regulator model 10175 (made in China ). I also think those who happen to currently own the grey 50A autoformer made in the USA, should consider looking into this and if such is true, contact the manufacturer and see what they say. If the manufacturer has no credible response, I could assist in drawing up a commercial affidavit or administrative action to push them to answer. Hopefully, jopopsy and J.Lockhart can chime in on this matter. What do you all think?

(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Harview View Post
Very interesting topic, folks. It's phunny because I have been thinking long and hard regarding this very topic right on up to preventing these high dollar items from growing legs and walking as well as the proper orientation of hook up from power post to unit. I like jopopsy's ideas regarding chaining the autoformer underneath at the axles which mitigates both water exposure and theft. J.Lockhart's hook up orientation is priceless in itself because I assume many do not follow such proper procedures.

My idea on the autoformer would be to take a tube of good ultra silicone and seal up the areas that are prone to water intrusion like where the case splits as well as where the cables enter and exit however, that still leaves the unit being in sight issue even if the unit is chained and locked near the power post.

Now, this to me is a possible bigger issue and such a possibility made me sick to my stomach if true. I provided a post on this topic awhile back and never got a response as of yet. Go to post #17 here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...a-35062-2.html

If the above post is true, I think we need to consider going with the 50A Technology Research voltage regulator model 10175 (made in China ). I also think those who happen to currently own the grey 50A autoformer made in the USA, should consider looking into this and if such is true, contact the manufacturer and see what they say. If the manufacturer has no credible response, I could assist in drawing up a commercial affidavit or administrative action to push them to answer. Hopefully, jopopsy and J.Lockhart can chime in on this matter. What do you all think?
Be careful with the silicone; Hughes recommends you not futz w/ the holes around where the wire enters the unit; they are condensate drain holes.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Be careful with the silicone; Hughes recommends you not futz w/ the holes around where the wire enters the unit; they are condensate drain holes.
Thanks, Good to know regarding condensate drain holes. With that, your chain locked undercarriage location is the answer.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

I run a Progressive Industries SSP-50X surge protector, then a Hughes 50A autoformer, then a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C.

If you note, the first two are "portable / non hard-wired" products. The reason I did this is that I wanted the freedom to plug-in / unplug devices as needed. I leave all plugged in 24/7 - but if one fails - pulling a device out and keeping the rest running is easy. I did this by cutting the main power line coming in and installing male and female 50A plugs.

One could argue the point that the plugs create resistance... and while true... I've run this setup for eight years through two units with no issue.

Also important to note, all my gear is mounted inside the unit to protect it from theft and weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
I run a Progressive Industries SSP-50X surge protector, then a Hughes 50A autoformer, then a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C.

If you note, the first two are "portable / non hard-wired" products. The reason I did this is that I wanted the freedom to plug-in / unplug devices as needed. I leave all plugged in 24/7 - but if one fails - pulling a device out and keeping the rest running is easy. I did this by cutting the main power line coming in and installing male and female 50A plugs.

One could argue the point that the plugs create resistance... and while true... I've run this setup for eight years through two units with no issue.

Also important to note, all my gear is mounted inside the unit to protect it from theft and weather.

So YOU run: Post --> Cord --> Surge --> Autoformer --> EMS --> Cord --> Coach?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post

Jeff, Unfortunately, it is the Hughs 50A autoformer that is referred to here: http://www.amazon.com/50-Amp-Autofor...ews/B00IYWZE6Q

Check out the rating titled: "Top Critical Review" That is where I pulled this from. I don't want to beat this topic to death however, I felt all should at least know of this potential and possibly fraudulent issue.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So YOU run: Post --> Cord --> Surge --> Autoformer --> EMS --> Cord --> Coach?

Yes. Though once inside the coach... the "cord" is the existing coach romex wiring with plugs installed...

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Old 05-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #18

I did the 'Autoformer Install Kit' which was basically a 10 gauge 'whip' wired into the RV junction box where the original power cord was. On the original power cord, I have a female receptacle on it. So the Autoformer sits in between them typically. I'm just trying to afford the most protection w/ the most flexibility w/o having my gear grow legs.

It seems the 'best' way to do that would be to use my idea in post 1 w/ the added regular surge protector on the post. But then the whole ordeal is quite spendy, however you're well protected and you can run safely in a great many more conditions.

I may just wire it post --> EMS --> cord --> Autoformer --> Coach. If I start to disconnect I can always switch the EMS and the Autoformer.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #19

Autoformer, EMS, Proper Order, Weather Protection

Quote:
Jeff, Unfortunately, it is the Hughs 50A autoformer that is referred to here: http://www.amazon.com/50-Amp-Autofor...ews/B00IYWZE6Q

Check out the rating titled: "Top Critical Review" That is where I pulled this from. I don't want to beat this topic to death however, I felt all should at least know of this potential and possibly fraudulent issue.

Fair. But the "reviewer" was writing about a product that he acquired used. In addition, Hughes is a newer company that came out of a company called "Frank's". Was he reviewing a Hughes model? A Frank's model?

My experience with Hughes has been phenomenal as has anyone that I know with one. I rank them right along Progressive Industries, Quadra Mfg, and ProPride Inc on my scale of best customer service companies.... absolutely top notch.

I would have zero concern installing one of their products.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Quote:

I tend to agree with the commenters to this review since the acquisition of the unit in itself was suspicious. Either the unit was modified by the previous owner, was not a Hughes, or both.