Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: How do you use your automatic changeover regulator?
I have BOTH tanks open 39 67.24%
I only have the tank open that I am using 15 25.86%
One now. After reading this I will be opening BOTH tanks 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #21

Both open, but then I have T's on both tanks prior to the regulator for my high pressure Coleman stove and BBQ, so I need both open (stove uses less, so I use the spare tank T for that). So my tanks are never full, but the primary one tends to get much more use than the spare, and the levels are generally very different. Have never run out of propane yet.

When travelling I only have the primary open if the refrigerator is running.
I also have an ultrasonic tester (like Truma levelcheck) that gives me a really solid indication of the tank levels. I tend to check both tanks every couple of days when camping.

ETA: and although not the one who recently posted about it, my regulator also leaks when the spare tank is off. Suspect a hole in the internal diaphragm. Will be replacing it with a new one before next season starts.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I also have an ultrasonic tester (like Truma levelcheck) that gives me a really solid indication of the tank levels.
Not to hijack the thread but can you describe this a little bit please?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Consider this scenario:

It's 2:30 AM and 27 degrees outside and raining (snowing??). You are tucked cozy in your bed. All is right with the world. WAIT........something is not right. "Why am I so cold?"

Then it occurs to you. You disabled the only thing that could have kept you from getting dressed, going outside in the cold/dark spending the next 10 minutes removing the tank cover, figuring out which tank needs to be turned on, making sure to do it slowly enough you don't trip the hi-flow shut off. All the while freezing your butt off. Now back inside. Furnace won't restart. Did you turn the valve too fast? Back outside. Try the valve again. Success this time.

Back in the bed to get warmed back up. Asking yourself why in the world you would chose to operate this way.

Having both tanks open and checking the automatic switchover more often would have prevented this level of discomfort.
That is indeed a nightmarish scenario! Another one is if you leave your manual awning out and a t storm and/or strong wind come up in the wee hours after you are tucked in and cozy and gotta go out and deal with that. Yikes.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #24
Site Team

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/Camco/CAM59005.html

This is the one I replaced mine with. When I say it was defective, it worked fine but the indicator that told me when the active tank was empty was not indicating red when it changed over.

Easy swap out. Working fine now on both tanks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #25

What I don't get is why the industry hasn't designed a simple auto changeover valve with a remote indicator light.
What we need is an LED on the same panel as our tank monitor to light up when a tank is empty (i.e. When the flag is red).
If a small switch were built into the regulator that whole indicator could be added by the manufacturer for a few bucks.

I even thought about buying a changeover valve to take apart and see if I could add a small reed switch under the glass window where the red 'flag' is located.

Some high end motorhomes come with SeeLevel monitors that can accurately detect the amount of Gas in a tank and display it on the monitor panel but those things ain't cheap AND (for some reason) are only made to monitor one tank, not two.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #26

Newbie since September: The tech during my delivery orientation advised to only open one at a time since you can't easily tell LP quantity and didn't really explain the auto changeover. I understood his point at the time of learning about consumption rates and having a reserve; but with so much variability in device/usage, I don't see the value in that as long as you watch for the switchover regularly. So far (until this thread) I have only opened one side. After 5 trips, I know it is getting low. With the temp change from 74 yesterday to 34 tonigh, "nuff said in this here thread", I just opened #2 to avoid the chilly midnight walk of shame. Batteries are a similar topic. I have two batteries on my boat and, in that case, choose to always keep one as a 100% reserve. I alternate which one I use each trip. If we ever boondock, I would add a second battery and ponder a similar question.
seadeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #27

When the trailer is in use, I always have both tanks open.

1) I have never run out of propane.
2) I have never had to get up at 3:00AM to turn on a propane tank.
3) It is really easy to check the change over indicator to see if one tank is empty; not checking periodically will cause problems.
4) We pay our money and get to decide what to do.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #28

We have omly been in the 377 for a couple of months, but we keep both open. Northern Montana gets chilly (supposed to be -10f next tesday) we picked up a spare tank for the built in compartment, so if i miss the main tanks being empty I have a backup.

It will be nice to get south next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Always looking for new places to take photos.
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadeals View Post
Newbie since September: ...snip... #2 to avoid the chilly midnight walk of shame.
Batteries are a similar topic. I have two batteries on my boat and, in that case, choose to always keep one as a 100% reserve. I alternate which one I use each trip. If we ever boondock, I would add a second battery and ponder a similar question.
Welcome to the forum.

I see your boat and those batteries as a different situation than an RV. I imagine you need the cranking power of a second battery to start your boat engine if your 1st battery dies. If that engine won't start off shore, you could be in serious situation. No 'walk of shame' will help you there.

Boondocking in an RV you usually have a tow vehicle's battery and engine as a backup plan if the RVs 12volt side is failing. I had that happen even with 2 batteries last year. But connecting to the tow vehicle and using its engine kept the furnace running on a chilly morning.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #30

Picked up a couple of tanks from costco this past summer and they have gauges built into them
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/Camco/CAM59005.html

This is the one I replaced mine with. When I say it was defective, it worked fine but the indicator that told me when the active tank was empty was not indicating red when it changed over.

Easy swap out. Working fine now on both tanks.
This is the exact problem I had. I'll look into replacing my regulator with this.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
X2

Why have the automatic changeover if you don't freakin' use it???

Roger

P.S. I check it every couple of days when we're camping. Frankly, at our usage rate, I'd be fine checking it weekly, monthly, or just at the end of each camping trip. We emptied ONE tank this summer and it changed over without any issue.
I am with NVGun on this and for the same reason. I'm not particularly passionate about the procedure tho, it's just how I do it. I have the auto-changeover cause that's what the 5th came with.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #33

Quote:
I also have an ultrasonic tester (like Truma levelcheck) that gives me a really solid indication of the tank levels. I tend to check both tanks every couple of days when camping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Not to hijack the thread but can you describe this a little bit please?
Little device about the size of short pen, works kind of like a stud finder. Hold the head flat against the tank, and press the button, green means gas at that point, red means no gas. Move up or down and press again until you find the level. Easy, accurate, compact.

I've tried the pressure gauges (show full until 5 minutes before you run out), and the mag strip/water indicators (PITA, and not too accurate). This one works well for me, but it is a bit spendy (actually now about $8 more than I spent).

I actually have the Dometic knock off
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
of what I think is originally a Truma product:
Fill level indicator Truma LevelCheck
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #34

My method varies with needs.

Side note.
My former TT had 3, 20lb tanks. 2 in tandem on one side of the regulator, one on the "spare side".
I bought 2 spares. The guy who sold them to me said "I'll meet you at the bottle filling area".
He walks out with 2 of the fiberglass bottles. At first, I was kinda upset.
Once I figured out that you can actually see the liquid level through the fiberglass, I made sure one was always on the 2 bottle side of the regulator.
No guessing.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Little device about the size of short pen, works kind of like a stud finder. Hold the head flat against the tank, and press the button, green means gas at that point, red means no gas. Move up or down and press again until you find the level. Easy, accurate, compact.

I've tried the pressure gauges (show full until 5 minutes before you run out), and the mag strip/water indicators (PITA, and not too accurate). This one works well for me, but it is a bit spendy (actually now about $8 more than I spent).

I actually have the Dometic knock off
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
of what I think is originally a Truma product:
Fill level indicator Truma LevelCheck
Yeah, I've got one of the level check things. It's pretty slick but doesn't seem to work if it's been unused foe a few weeks. But still, pretty slick.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote