Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2022, 07:53 PM   #1

Awning Gas Strut Replacement

My Carefree Traveler Awning was making noise on one side when extending or retracting. I also had noise when the wind came up slightly which was causing the one side to sort of bounce against the mounting track. I noticed that the tension on the noisy side was less than on the quiet side and traced the problem to the gas strut.

I've seen mention of having to replace the entire arm when the strut goes bad and also saw where the strut could be simply unscrewed. I determined that my model could be unscrewed so after a lot of research as to which strut to order I picked one from Amazon (my favorite one-stop shopping source).

I measured my old strut while installed and its extended length was around 34" give or take. I almost ordered a 36" strut but that would have been wrong. The actual extended strut length was 43" as it was partially compressed when the awning was at full extension.

The strut easily unscrewed from its mount on the gas tube side. As soon as I got it unscrewed it snapped below the mount (could have gone either way) and was pressed there due to gas pressure in the strut. No big deal.

I had to use pliers to start unscrewing the rod from the awning arm but left it only partially screwed in until I could get a volunteer to help remove the strut.

My son was able to compress the old strut enough to move it above the mount that it screwed into on the track attached to the side of the rig. Once above the mount it was easily raised high enough to release all gas tension. Then the strut was easily removed from the other end.

Installing the new strut was the reversal. I removed the ends that came installed on the new strut since the old mounts were to be used. Screwed the new strut into the arm mount while the strut was aimed above the track mount. To compress the strut and allow it to be screwed into the track end required 2 strong young men to pull on it. I was there helping a bit by holding up the awning as high as I could. Anyway they easily compressed the strut and screwed in into the mount.

With the new strut installed, which had a lot more pressure than the old worn one, the extending/retracting was now quiet and the tension in the track matched the other side. Happy days!

I've attached some info to help anyone who might be faced with the same situation. The awning picture shows what the arm and strut looks like for this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree Awning Longitude-Service-Manual.pdf (2.49 MB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf Carefree Awning Parts.pdf (131.2 KB, 9 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:12 AM   #2

Thanks Jim - Great info and an excellent write up. Appreciate the documentation as well!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Thanks Jim - Great info and an excellent write up. Appreciate the documentation as well!!
X2! Just a thought. In the automotive world they suggest replacing both struts ( hood/rear hatch) at the same time so you have equal tension on both sides. I would just make sure when retracting the awning that it comes in evenly.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
X2! Just a thought. In the automotive world they suggest replacing both struts ( hood/rear hatch) at the same time so you have equal tension on both sides. I would just make sure when retracting the awning that it comes in evenly.
So far it rolls in and out just fine. The reason for the single replacement was that it was noticeably bad (noisy and lower tension). Both sides appear to have the same tension currently but time will tell.

Jim

Old 11-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
Site Team

I think I have the same CoC on my rig. The attachment to the struts are like pop rivets. Does yours have that same attachment? Sure would like a picture of the new one installed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I think I have the same CoC on my rig. The attachment to the struts are like pop rivets. Does yours have that same attachment? Sure would like a picture of the new one installed.
If your arms have the same scissor type layout as my picture then odds are you have the same setup. When I was trying to find which strut I needed there were other much shorter struts in use for different arm configurations. The picture shows where the id label is located.

My strut mount in the track attached to the side of the motor home appears to be removable by unscrewing a bolt that goes through the strut end. The other side (shiny rod) which attaches to the arm appears to be a rivet of sorts with flat heads on each side. I think I would have had to grind off one of the heads to remove it and then come up with some sort of new flat bolt. Thank goodness I didn't have to do that.

To unscrew each end required grabbing the strut with pliers. The shock side easily unscrewed while the rod side was a bit tougher because the tool would slip. I sprayed some liquid wrench on the connection and it immediately unscrewed.

I can't take pictures because I moved my rig to the side of my house where I keep it. Can't extend the awning without hitting the house.

Jim

Old 11-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #7
Site Team

I just noticed your rig is a Greyhawk. I believe they will be different.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #8

Jim, Norty and I probably have the same COC awning as our RV's are only 1 year apart. So are you saying that the new strut has a threaded end on both ends that screw into the existing pieces that hold the strut to the arm and the base? I believe all of us have the same awning and although my struts seem fine now I'm really curious about this. I would actually have to drill out the "rivets" that hold the strut to the arm and the base to remove the entire strut.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Jim, Norty and I probably have the same COC awning as our RV's are only 1 year apart. So are you saying that the new strut has a threaded end on both ends that screw into the existing pieces that hold the strut to the arm and the base? I believe all of us have the same awning and although my struts seem fine now I'm really curious about this. I would actually have to drill out the "rivets" that hold the strut to the arm and the base to remove the entire strut.
Yep, both ends of the strut are threaded. My new strut came with new ends already screwed in place which I simply unscrewed to allow use of the ones still attached to the mounts.

Sure am glad I found all this out in advance. The internet is a wealth of information. I watched some YouTube videos on struts that showed different versions that are out there.

The strut I picked on Amazon had a review where the person stated that he installed the strut by simply unscrewing the old one.

Jim

Tags
awning, gas strut, shock, strut