Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Bang!!!!! Oh, no i didn't!

We got a call early Saturday morning about a death in our immediate family, and so we were in a hurry to button up everything and head north from Florida. Unfortunately, I did the cardinal sin by starting the black tank flush and leaving the valve closed.

Of course, the end result was the toilet over flowing but more concerning was just about the same time as that was noticed, there was a fairly loud "bang".

I dried up the water, emptied the tank, and retested everything which seems to work ok, and was unable to see any further leaks etc. but the "bang" still has me concerned. I even took a Phillips screw driver and punched a few holes in the membrane to see if water had pooled underneath, and saw nothing but a few drips.

My initial thoughts to check when we get back are from a valve/seal blowing to a ruptured line somewhere, to even a retaining strap giving way underneath.

Any other thoughts on what I should check for?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #2

Our black tank has belly bands that help support it against the bottom of the trailer. You might have popped the screws that hold the band to the trailer bottom.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #3

I would agree with us71na, give a thorough look to those retaining straps, ill bet one of the self taping screws gave out under that load (HAH!!)
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #4

Having accomplished the same mistake (must be a Lansing, MI thing) the bang is the water being forced against the toilet seal and the seal finally "popping/banging" to let the excess water escape. A mess to cleanup but I've been lucky and the tank was clean, just doing a final rinse.
khahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by khahuna View Post
Having accomplished the same mistake (must be a Lansing, MI thing) the bang is the water being forced against the toilet seal and the seal finally "popping/banging" to let the excess water escape. A mess to cleanup but I've been lucky and the tank was clean, just doing a final rinse.
Hopefully, you are correct and that is all it was. But one wouldn't think offhand that such a little valve/seal could make that kind of "bang". I think I came about a half inch off the floor and it was heard two sites over!

Anyway, before this happened, I bought a little toy that I have been itching to use and should come in handy to check things out above the membrane without having to cut a big hole in it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

let us know how the camera works for you. Looks like a handy item to have around.
khahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by khahuna View Post
let us know how the camera works for you. Looks like a handy item to have around.
Agreed, that looks like such an awesome handy gadget to have in the toolbox, please do fill us in on its worthiness
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I have a similar borescope camera, and the problem with them is the field of view is too narrow. Also, you must be a perfect distance away from what you want to view in order for it to be in focus. It would be nice if these were available with a wide angle lens.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote