Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #1

Bathtub cracking

I brought the trailer home yesterday to prepare it for our first camp out this season. It is a 19RD that we purchased last fall. I saw that a crack was developing at the drain. I put an inch of water in the tub and pulled the access panel and could see it was leaking. We have yet to use the tub since we prefer the larger RV park showers. The nearby Jayco dealers do not have favorable reviews for their service departments and judging from my past experience of getting the microwave oven replaced, i think i will just take care of this myself. At this point I have not decided if I want to replace the tub or just attempt to repair the crack. It is disappointing to have these problems in a trailer that is less than a year old.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Team

I would still lean toward a warranty repair. I have not heard of many permanent repairs to a crack like yours. Something caused it, either a defect, a installation problem or who knows but replacement is the fix IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #3

It's under warranty, let them fix it. If you muck with it and can't fix it or make it worse you will void the warranty for that item.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyerPhyter View Post
It's under warranty, let them fix it. If you muck with it and can't fix it or make it worse you will void the warranty for that item.
Agreed!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #5

I agree with the previous posters, have them fix it while it is still under warranty. My kitchen sink had a very small crack in the bottom and luckily I had noticed it before it caused any damage. Even though I could have fixed it myself I decided to bring it in to the dealer to have it replaced. They put a new sink in and I am all set to go for the camping season.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #6

Take it back to them. A lot of bad reviews come from people that went in with a bad attitude to start with.. Give the guy a chance to fix it. All it was is the factory over tightened the floor drain which started the cracking the dealer will probably loosen the drain by a half turn or so and have the crack plastic welded..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

If its under warrenty make them replace the entire shower. That crack will only get worse. Its probably all the way through and will most likely continue. If not call a fiberglass repair guy he can probably fix it for a little while. He will be cheaper. Then support it underneath the crack if u have access.
bluesquiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Mine had a similar crack on the side of the pan. Dealer temporarily sealed it so we could use it while the new one was ordered. They are replacing it now. Best part was THEY caught it during pdi before I even got there.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:16 PM   #9

I removed the tub and surround today. Jayco said they will reimburse me for the cost and shipping of a new tub. Duoform Plastics is shipping the new tub next week. It should be all together before our next trip. Getting the surround off was the most work. The plastic rivets and the double sided foam tape secured it pretty well to the walls. Removing the tub was easy. Jayco did a pretty good job of sealing everything up I only found a few gaps between the tub flange and the walls. Putting it back together should be pretty straight forward. As you can see from the attached pictures the tub walls are very thin. I plan on reinforcing the drain area of the new tub with epoxy and fiberglass before installing the drain fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #10

Bath removed.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 01:43 AM   #11

What did you have to tell Jayco in order for them to let you do the work your self? Nearest dealer to me is a CW dealer that I had a bad experience with and has bad service reviews, a lot of them. Plus it is 2 hours away...
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #12

I emailed Jayco's Customer Service, explained the problem, informed them I had located a replacement tub, gave them the cost, and asked if they would reimburse me. They said the replacement item would no longer be covered by their warranty if I did the work, but they would pay for the tub. My warranty runs out in a little over a year. I trust my workmanship over the dealers and I like having the chance to make my trailer better. I am satisfied with how this was handled. I also got the chance to spend the afternoon in the trailer listening to the Giants beat the Dodgers
Old 04-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #13

Gotta love it when a plan comes together

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #14

Glad to hear that worked out for you. Could have gone south real quick if you ran into other issues/probs tearing that out.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

Spray foam any gaps under it for support.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #16

I finished the tub installation today. I put the new tub in on Sunday. After setting the tub I attempted to install the drain fitting and found that the plywood platform interfered with the threads. I suspect the factory attached the drain prior to installing the tub, the interference from the platform probably created the strain that eventually cause the tub to crack. I had to remove the tub to remove enough wood to allow the platform to clear the drain. Luckily I had enough putty to set the tub a second time. Jayco did not use any sealant under the drain flange but i did. I reconnected the rest of the drain and called it a day. I wanted to wait a day and let the silicon caulk cure before checking for leaks. I also did not want to install the tub surround until I was sure the tub would not need to removed again. Today I checked the plumbing for leaks and all looked good so I installed the surround, the faucet, and wood trim. I also flushed the water system and checked all the accessories for proper operation. The last task will be greasing the wheel bearings and we should be good to go for the rest of the season.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #17

Tub platform modified for drain clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #18

Tub installed and waiting for leak test.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #19

Job finished. Better than new.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg