Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #1

Battery Comparison Test

Interesting.

https://mortonsonthemove.com/best-rv...-test-results/
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
x2
Old 01-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

quite interesting... thanks for a real test link
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #4

Would love to have those expensive lithium ion batteries but the cost is still beyond my means. I do wonder about how they actually operate in an RV.

My tools powered by these type of batteries will work up until the battery reaches its cutoff and then instantly no power. How does that work in an RV. Are you able to run everything and then all of a sudden everything goes dark? How would you start your generator to recharge if the coach battery was dead?

Also, with a simple voltmeter you can monitor your old lead acid battery's condition pretty well. How do you monitor a lithium battery since the voltage is suppose to remain normal until it totally disappears.

I must be missing something here.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Lithium cost.

Actually, Lithium batteries can be constructed from individual cells pretty cheap. You can assemble a 300AH Lithium w/BMS for about $400-500. Yes, 300AH.

Research in https://diysolarforum.com
Swill4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Would love to have those expensive lithium ion batteries but the cost is still beyond my means. I do wonder about how they actually operate in an RV.

My tools powered by these type of batteries will work up until the battery reaches its cutoff and then instantly no power. How does that work in an RV. Are you able to run everything and then all of a sudden everything goes dark? How would you start your generator to recharge if the coach battery was dead?

Also, with a simple voltmeter you can monitor your old lead acid battery's condition pretty well. How do you monitor a lithium battery since the voltage is suppose to remain normal until it totally disappears.

Yes, he provided some useful data, and the true cost of ownership was surprising. I would have liked them to go camping for a week with solar and generator and see what really happens.

I think in your scenario, you would still have to monitor batteries, of any flavor. If the battery drops enough voltage, the generator wouldn't start, the slide wouldn't close, etc....

Most of all, I want to know which of those AGMs is really what battery. I have AGMs now, and I do wonder if they were really worth the cost.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #7

Want to come back and read later.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Your tools use Lithium Ion batteries, RV batteries are Lithium Phosphate - apples vs oranges. These are two complete different battery chemistries.

I monitor with a BMS, just like I did when I had lead acid batteries. And the voltage does drop and there's charts to compare voltage to SOC just like LA batteries have.

I dropped 110 lbs. of tongue weight by going to LiFePO4 batteries and being able to mount them inside the trailer. The recharge rate is lightening fast with either solar or the converter, they are 100% maintenance free, I can discharge them to 20% SOC without any worries. I'll never own LA batteries in an RV again.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote