Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #1

Battery cut off switch

This is a pic of my cut off switch in my 28.5 rsts. My question is what are the + lines going to that are hooked to the hot side of the switch? When i turn to the off position I find nothing working or on but they are hooked to the hot side of switch. there is only two + lines on the switch side?

Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #2

My much smaller OFF-OAD POPUP trailer doesn't have any needs for 12VDC when in OFF state so everything is disconnected when the BATTERY SWITCH is operated.

Some of the larger trailer may have an electric tongue jack, or leveling jacks, or maybe an electric door steps etc that are all operated by a POSITIVE SWITCH ON action. These will stay connected to the BATTERY TERMINAL for you to use when needed... As long as a positive switch is required to use the 12VDC coming from the battery then you don't have to worry about your battery draining down.

Anything always connected to the battery when left ON will drain down your battery in a few days or so if it is turned ON... A lot of trailers may have the SMOKE or GAS detectors wired directly to the battery. These will also drain down you battery over a short time period...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
My much smaller OFF-OAD POPUP trailer doesn't have any needs for 12VDC when in OFF state so everything is disconnected when the BATTERY SWITCH is operated.

Some of the larger trailer may have an electric tongue jack, or leveling jacks, or maybe an electric door steps etc that are all operated by a POSITIVE SWITCH ON action. These will stay connected to the BATTERY TERMINAL for you to use when needed... As long as a positive switch is required to use the 12VDC coming from the battery then you don't have to worry about your battery draining down.

Anything always connected to the battery when left ON will drain down your battery in a few days or so if it is turned ON... A lot of trailers may have the SMOKE or GAS detectors wired directly to the battery. These will also drain down you battery over a short time period...

Roy Ken

None of the above I tested all of them.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #4

I have a 2017 28.5 RSTS. My switch doesnt look like yours either but its located on the drivers side in the garage. (sorry I dont have a pic handy) But when I turn mine off there are things that are still powered which I dont like. One is the slide controllers which I guess remember the limit for open and close positions. Carbon Monoxide may also still be on cant remember for sure.

My front landing gear is also powered which blows my mind. I went to the trouble to cut in a door/hatch and remounted the landing gear switch inside a locked door so no one can mess with it when I am not around. You would think Off would mean Off but it doesnt.

I have seen where guys put dedicated battery cut off switches right off the battery terminal but I dont have the guts to mess with mother nature and have potential slide issues. So far in a year of camping on and off it hasnt been much of an issue.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #5

Hopefully Jayco customer service will share a copy of your 12v schematic, they aren't the most consistent with these requests.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Hopefully Jayco customer service will share a copy of your 12v schematic, they aren't the most consistent with these requests.
I requested 12V schematics for our '15 via the website support form. Crickets. Not even an acknowledgement of my submission. I suppose if someone were to call and talk to an actual human being they might have better luck. I'm curious to know how others have received out-of-warranty support from Jayco. Hmm, maybe there's already a thread on that topic ...
pokergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokergeist View Post
I requested 12V schematics for our '15 via the website support form. Crickets. Not even an acknowledgement of my submission. I suppose if someone were to call and talk to an actual human being they might have better luck. I'm curious to know how others have received out-of-warranty support from Jayco. Hmm, maybe there's already a thread on that topic ...

I have schematics from Jayco just call and they will email them to you. This is how we figured out that the wires are 1. converter 2. Emergency break away 3. solar prep.

Jayco tech support has always been great for me.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokergeist View Post
Just call them ask for tech support they will email them.